Ohtani for Goldschmidt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohtani for Goldschmidt

I recently acquired $5 Ohtani for $5 Kepler and Chris Paddack in a weekly 14 team mixed league, deep for a mixed, with 30 man rosters and 20 man minors. I could now flip Ohtani for a $25 Goldscmidt in his final year. He would do this deal right now, happily 1 for 1. Or, I've asked him if he'd do it after our auction so I save $20, if I threw in a prospect--Michael Baez, Gimenez, Liberatore, or Jesus Sanchez. He says he probably would for one of them. I'm tempted to wait, as I would prefer to have the auction money over the prospect, but I do worry he changes his mind.

So, if you are me, going for the three-peat and mostly focused on 2019, do you do this trade? If so, do you do it now to get it done, even losing $20 in auction money, or do you trust the other owner will still want to do the deal post auction for one of the above prospects?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-16-2019, 08:03 PM.

Do the deal now - I dont trust after auction deals
    yes you lose $20 but also gain $15-20 in savings on goldy - and you get a prospect

what are you saving by having Ohtani at $5?

yes - do it now

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
      Do the deal now - I dont trust after auction deals
      yes you lose $20 but also gain $15-20 in savings on goldy - and you get a prospect

what are you saving by having Ohtani at $5?

yes - do it now
      I'm hoping to use that $20 to land a good pitcher. I guess I'm banking on the fact this guy really want ohtani, but you are right. If I wait, maybe the deal falls apart. The question then is, is ohtani valuable enough that I can flip him for a different elite one year player? If not, I should take the bird in the hand.

I really wish this guy had an elite arm or OFer. I love Goldy but I already kept a cheap Carlos Santana and a cheap Smoak, and the auction is loaded with 1bman. I guess that is what is the only reason I haven't jumped at it yet. If the were a $25 verlander or stanton, given my team, I'd have already agreed to the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I'm hoping to use that $20 to land a good pitcher. I guess I'm banking on the fact this guy really want ohtani, but you are right. If I wait, maybe the deal falls apart. The question then is, is ohtani valuable enough that I can flip him for a different elite one year player? If not, I should take the bird in the hand.

I really wish this guy had an elite arm or OFer. I love Goldy but I already kept a cheap Carlos Santana and a cheap Smoak, and the auction is loaded with 1bman. I guess that is what is the only reason I haven't jumped at it yet. If the were a $25 verlander or stanton, given my team, I'd have already agreed to the deal.
        If you've already got 2 1st basemen there's really no reason to chase another one...Ohtani is going to be a great value next year, and a good one this year as well. Hold on to him and spend the money on pitching...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          If you've already got 2 1st basemen there's really no reason to chase another one...Ohtani is going to be a great value next year, and a good one this year as well. Hold on to him and spend the money on pitching...
          Yeah, it was your thread on Ohtani that got me to trade for him. I hadn't looked at him as a hitter. He was so great last year, and IF he hits every day this year unlike he did last year, I think he can really help me this year. However, I do worry they still mess around and sit him a day or two every week, probably against lefties. And I worry he may not be back until mid-to-late May at the current rate. Plus, he is DH only, so takes up the same utility spot Goldy would. Man, would I love for him to pick up some games in the OF this year, but it won't happen. No way they risk his arm on throwing from the OF.

ETA: As far as his long term value, I mostly care about how that helps me this year. I'm banking on him hitting and helping me this year, but if the carrot of his long term value nets me a clear and significant upgrade over him for this year, I'm gonna move him. Part of me wants to see what he will do as a hitter this year first. I really hope they hit him almost every day when he gets back. That would be awesome.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-16-2019, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah, it was your thread on Ohtani that got me to trade for him. I hadn't looked at him as a hitter. He was so great last year, and IF he hits every day this year unlike he did last year, I think he can really help me this year. However, I do worry they still mess around and sit him a day or two every week, probably against lefties. And I worry he may not be back until mid-to-late May at the current rate. Plus, he is DH only, so takes up the same utility spot Goldy would. Man, would I love for him to pick up some games in the OF this year, but it won't happen. No way they risk his arm on throwing from the OF.

ETA: As far as his long term value, I mostly care about how that helps me this year. I'm banking on him hitting and helping me this year, but if the carrot of his long term value nets me a clear and significant upgrade over him for this year, I'm gonna move him. Part of me wants to see what he will do as a hitter this year first. I really hope they hit him almost every day when he gets back. That would be awesome.
            I think that Goldy obviously crushes him in hitting this season, but the 2 way Ohtani is something to really look at carefully...lots of variables for you in this one.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              I think that Goldy obviously crushes him in hitting this season, but the 2 way Ohtani is something to really look at carefully...lots of variables for you in this one.
              Does his 2 way status in 2020 and beyond do anything at all good for me in a weekly league? I think cavebird is right on this one. He has more value as a 1 way player in a weekly league. When he is pitching again, he won't be hitting more than 4-5 times a week, making him a guy I will only start as a pitcher at that point. The hitting stats are wasted. If you are in a daily league though, wow, what a freaking stud this guy is. I'd never move him.

Comment

Does his 2 way status in 2020 and beyond do anything at all good for me in a weekly league? I think cavebird is right on this one. He has more value as a 1 way player in a weekly league. When he is pitching again, he won't be hitting more than 4-5 times a week, making him a guy I will only start as a pitcher at that point. The hitting stats are wasted. If you are in a daily league though, wow, what a freaking stud this guy is. I'd never move him.
                With him pitching just about every 7 days, you MIGHT be able to juggle the 2 facets of his game, that is a big if though. What we did in our 18 team league a few seasons back id to split the weeks into 2 periods, Monday through Thursday, and Friday through Sunday. It works grat and keep all members happy. You only have to pay attention twice a week instead of every day (although I've always thought why play if you don't want to be involved daily? But I digress...) either way, you've got a tough decision. If you can get Goldy, and think that you can win it all, it's a no brainer...trade the guy.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Doesn't Santana qualify at 3B? StL is going to embrace Goldy in a contract year. This is the time to get him.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                    Doesn't Santana qualify at 3B? StL is going to embrace Goldy in a contract year. This is the time to get him.
                    Almost, but not quite. He needed 20 games to qualify in our league.

Comment

I'd wait until right after the draft, when he's not fooled into thinking his team is good yet but while he still has the framework of the deal in his head. If I could trade a good-not-great prospect for an additional $20 in cap space in a year I was going for it I would take that every time it was offered. If he waffles you can always offer some other small thing as well.

Just in case, though, I'd try to make sure my UT player qualifies at 1B, because you don't want to assume that you're going to get Goldschmidt and buy a $1 1B and then have him think that increases his leverage in the deal.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I have another offer of $31 matt carpenter and justus Sheffield. Is that a better option given my need at 3b and log jam at 1b?

Comment

I have another offer of $31 matt carpenter and justus Sheffield. Is that a better option given my need at 3b and log jam at 1b?
                          I'd much rather have Goldschmidt. 3B is deep.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'd do it now. I worry about Ohtani's rehab as a pitcher making his hitting more or less the same as last year and hurting his value in weekly leagues. The positional issue is a mess, but I'd love to move on of the other two with Goldy in hand already---Goldy's too good to pass up on, and I wouldn't trust your trading partner not changing his mind---it gives other teams time to make a run at Goldy as well.

Comment

I caved and did the deal. Hicks being hurt put me over. I'm going to have 5 guys start the year on the DL. Ohatani made 6. It was too much. I may have cost myself $20, but the market was.softening on Ohtani. The carp owner pulled his offer. Got me nervous.

Comment

Working...
                              X