Picking my final keeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking my final keeper

Every year i go back and forth on my last keeper. It's the 14 team, standard 5x5, mixed, with Mith & MagSeven. One catcher and $300 budget. Very high inflation with 25 players fetching $40 or more last year, including 13 that went $60+. No matter who i choose, i will still have $245 or $250 available to draft 15 players at the auction.

These are my four finalists:

C - Wilson Ramos $6b
    Expecting Realmuto, Sanchez, & Molina to be kept. So, Ramos(?), Posey, Grandal, Gomes, & Contreras would be the best available and probably go for double digit prices. And probably Cervelli too with all of the Pirate homers in my league.
    I don't like to spend a lot on a catcher. So, if i don't keep Ramos for $6, i will probably end up with an end game catcher priced at $1-3 (ie. lottery ticket) who probably won't come close to Ramos' stats and/or hurt my batting average. So, maybe the extra $5 is well spent here.

2B - Garrett Hampson $1a
    Although there are some concerns about his playing time, i'm leaning toward keeping this guy because i don't like to spend a lot on speed at the auction. Last year i came out of the auction short on speed because of this. So, i'm thinking i should just address the problem now instead of scrambling to make a trade later. I'm also keeping Baez, so that would give me two good sources of steals. I'm thinking he will be in the lineup most days since he is playing 3 different positions (2B,SS,CF). That position flexibility is nice for fantasy too.

SP - Tyler Glasnow $1a
    I like the upside for 2-3 years down the road. But, i'm still not sold that he will keep the walks (and ratios) down this year.

SP - Charlie Morton $6b
    Great pitcher when he is healthy. But health, age, and pitching in the AL East scare me. There should be plenty of SP2's and SP3's in the auction. Most with better health than Morton.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Hampson. There are plenty of C options and you can wait for an endgame guy if the prices are too high. There are guys in the top 10 catchers who will help you and won't kill your AVG. Maldonado, Hicks, Lucroy are guys I'd be happy with if I was going on the cheap in your format.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

As far as PT goes Ramos is the player most guarantee on this. I Hampson also for a $1 and keeping him. I do see a platoon with McMahon but even in that role Hampson give a decent BA with around 20 SB. So with Murphy at 1B I think he gets a rest at least once a week with McMahon covering 1st. Another factor that plays here is Hampson defense is supposed to be better than McMahon so that could earn time there too. The choice here is between these 2 players.

Comment

Third vote for Hampson. Morton would be my second choice.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Ramos is appealing but carries risk of injury and home park not a hitting haven.

It's a lot easier to envision Ramos being a non keeper next season than Hampson.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
            It's a lot easier to envision Ramos being a non keeper next season than Hampson.
            That was another consideration that i forgot to list. With $5 raises for each one year contract (3 max), Ramos would be a lot less attractive at $11c while Hampson would still be keeper worthy at $6b for 2020.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Hampson
              Morton
              Glasgow
              Ramos

Comment

Thanks guys. I was about 55/45 in favor of Hampson over Ramos. I ended up going with Hampson. Still not sure if he begins the year as a starter. But, i'm sure he will be eventually and it will be worth the wait. I can always stash him on my bench like i did during the second half of last season.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Realmuto, Sanchez, Molina, Grandal, Gomes, & Contreras all kept.

One manager kept both Realmuto(1B) & Grandal in our 1 catcher league. So, i would expect Ramos and Posey to cost around $20 each at the auction now.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Realmuto, Sanchez, Molina, Grandal, Gomes, & Contreras all kept.

One manager kept both Realmuto(1B) & Grandal in our 1 catcher league. So, i would expect Ramos and Posey to cost around $20 each at the auction now.
                    Yeah some fool will pay that price!
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      Thanks guys. I was about 55/45 in favor of Hampson over Ramos. I ended up going with Hampson. Still not sure if he begins the year as a starter. But, i'm sure he will be eventually and it will be worth the wait. I can always stash him on my bench like i did during the second half of last season.
                      You just blew your season with that choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        You just blew your season with that choice!
                        Haha, i wouldn't go that far. Hampson should be the better bet for the long term.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

You will be able to mine for a C. A few years ago in a 14 team 1C league I picked up Russell Martin partway through the season and he ended up being a top 8 catcher.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I would have gone Morton. A one-catcher mixed league means Ramos is out, instantly. Hampson is way too huge a question mark. Morton seems the obvious choice to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              I would have gone Morton. A one-catcher mixed league means Ramos is out, instantly. Hampson is way too huge a question mark. Morton seems the obvious choice to me.
                              I agree. Intrigued by Glasnow as well, with the 5 buck savings. Tampa and their wonky opener stuff is a bit scary, as is the fact that Morton has never thrown more than like 170 IP, but he'd still been my first choice followed by Glasnow. Then Hampson. I'd never consider a 6 buck catcher as a keeper unless it was a truly elite option like real deal or sanchez.

Comment

Working...
                              X