First draft ?'s @ 35 years of auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First draft ?'s @ 35 years of auctions

Yes..hard to believe, but I just participated in a roto 5x5 baseball DRAFT for first time. My questions are regarding the FAAB process. The league allows $1000 for the season. The first 420 players are gone. (15 team 28 players per). What is a typical landing bid for a mediocre replacement? I know the amount of disabled players, on other teams is a main consideration, in this process. Any expert advice/experience would be much appreciated. I have the likes of Gregory Polanco, Ohtani and Didi G. to replace FWIW.

For guys whose stock really hasn't changed since the draft, low double digits should be fine. Like the 20-25 range. Keep in mind there will be some owners who wanted a guy and just couldn't find a place for him, so for the first week, 5-7 dollar bids probably won't get it done. It might in future weeks, though. But the first week you know almost everyone is bidding on at least one spot.

For guys whose stock has changed, like the guy in front of them got injured or they were named a starter or they hit 13 spring home runs, you'll have to go more. If there's someone you really want, I wouldn't hesitate to go more. It just means you might only get to splurge on one $300+ guy instead of two.

Comment

JC:

Thanks...That's great info...I must admit, I didn't think the amounts would be so HIGH!

Comment

Always spend early and often for guys who will actually play and have a chance of being good; there just won't be many in a league that deep.

Comment

also $1000 is a digit higher than most leagues FAAB budget
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            also $1000 is a digit higher than most leagues FAAB budget
            I've seen a lot of leagues switch to $1000 to allow granularity and avoid ties and also to put in basically $0 bids without needing an actual $0 bid functionality (1/1000th of your budget is basically nothing).

This really only works in redrafts though since it does not tie out to auction values on a 260 scale.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. This league uses Fantrax and many of these rules are template options. I don't like to disrespect the undrafted players, but the pool is thin and bidding higher than $1 or $2 seems like over spending IMO...Of course, I may miss out on a temporary fix, so my list needs to be long. My reluctance to let Vlad Jr. go bye bye last year, cost me some cash, by not getting a "scrub" in his place.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                I've seen a lot of leagues switch to $1000 to allow granularity and avoid ties and also to put in basically $0 bids without needing an actual $0 bid functionality (1/1000th of your budget is basically nothing).

This really only works in redrafts though since it does not tie out to auction values on a 260 scale.
                Just divide bid by 10 and round for salary calc?

Comment

Working...
                X