Who'd you pick? Boxberger or Peralta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who'd you pick? Boxberger or Peralta?

If you were chasing saves, and all the other closers and set-up men were taken, who of these two might you'd pick? Brad Boxberger or Wily Peralta? I realise there's a reason these two guys are still available, but as they say, beggars can't be choosers, and I have zero named closers in My Little Pony league. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

That's a tough one. I would give a small edge to Boxberger because the home park minimizes his longball weakness. Both are ratio killers, but I would look for them to go with the "proven" closer first.

All that said, if one of them is going to take the job and run away with it, it's more likely Peralta.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I’d take Berg Bradboxer.

Comment

Can you draft both to cover yourself? I think Brad starts off as the closer but an implosion is a real possibility.

Comment

As a current Peralta owner I would take Boxberger.

I think Box does start out with the job. You at least get some saves. If he is good you get more.

Comment

I have to decide whether or not to keep Boxberger at $4 in my 14 team mixed 5x5 league. We keep 9 and I don't really have 9 solid no-doubters, so he is in the keeper mix
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              I have to decide whether or not to keep Boxberger at $4 in my 14 team mixed 5x5 league. We keep 9 and I don't really have 9 solid no-doubters, so he is in the keeper mix
              I like Box more than Peralta but I probably wouldn't keep him at $4 in a 14 team mixed.

Comment

Not in 14 team. Both are endgame fodder. $2 if they have a confirmed job.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I think Boxberger ends the season with more saves.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Boxberger overall, 2018: 53.1 innings, 12.0 K/9, 5.4 BB/9, 1.5 HR/9, 4.39 ERA/1.43 WHIP

Presumably the humidified Chase Field wasn't that tough a HR park. He allowed 4 HR in 27.2 innings at home and 5 in 25.2 innings on the road. So, worse, but small sample size. He had a 31/16 K/BB at home, which was worse than his 40/16 on the road, so maybe the ball was a little hard to grip. Lots of walks both places though.

Peralta overall, 2018: 34.1 innings, 9.2 K/9, 6.0 BB/9, 1.0 HR/9, 3.67 ERA/1.49 WHIP

Peralta allowed 2 HR in 21.2 innings at home, and 2 HR in 12.2 innings on the road. He had a 25/14 K/BB at home and a 10/9 K/BB on the road. His home park was KC, so :shrug:

I would go with Boxberger, based on his K rate and a gut feeling that that's what Ned Yost is thinking. But I'm not a huge fan of either.

Comment

Boxberger has missed a couple of weeks with a leg injury while Peralta has been relatively decent in ST. I think Peralta will get first crack which counts for something. I doubt he'll be able to keep the job but I said the same thing last July.

Comment

So Randy took Peralta, then 15 picks went by, nobody took Boxberger, and Randy paired the two of them. About the 390th and 405th players picked.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          So Randy took Peralta, then 15 picks went by, nobody took Boxberger, and Randy paired the two of them. About the 390th and 405th players picked.
                          I had to hedge my bet on who ends up being the closer for KC. I only picked Boxberger while holding my noise on this stinky pick. I'm surprised Boxberger was still on the board so late, but perhaps I shouldn't be surprised no one else wanted him. He's a stinky pick, but who knows, he could get first chance to get saves (the few KC might have opportunity). I think Peralta is the better choice, but we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                          X