Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AL Only Keeper Question

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat104 View Post
    I think I would be at a disadvantage if I only kept 5.
    Why?

It's better to keep 5 than keep a 6th at a price than is higher than what you can pay in the auction to get him back, right?

Rookie League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Do you have inflation?

If you are confident that you can get Voit/Pineda back for the same or lower than you are not at a disadvantage of going in with 5.

I am in agreement with you that I do like to go in with my full complement of keepers, but not at the expense of rostering someone above their market value.
    Since we all teams can keep 6, most if not all keepers are below market value so we do experience inflation. For example Altuve went for $46.

My struggle is trying to predict the inflation for either Voit or Pineda. It is easier to predict for the higher end guys.

Some comps from the auction last year that are comparable to Voit: Cron $14, Duda $11, Hanley Ramirez $15, Chris Davis $14
    Some comps from the auction last year for are comparable to Pineda: Mike Minor $7, Cobb $11, Gausman $15, Lynn $11, Faria $12, Hamels $12, Shoemaker $6, Duffy $15

Based on those prices I think I lean towards Pineda being a better value.

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat104 View Post
    My struggle is trying to predict the inflation for either Voit or Pineda. It is easier to predict for the higher end guys.
    There should be less inflation on the middle to lower tier guys.

You said above that Altuve "went" for $46, I assume that is last year. That's actually not that much inflation, he was going for $35+ last year. So maybe 25% on the high end?

If you scale that down, at most you are talking 10% inflation on the middle tier guys which equates to a buck or two. Nothing significant.

I'd really consider just keeping 5.

I would keep Voit at $13. 6 keepers means more mid tier players available than I'm used to, but I believe the hype behind Voit and terrible 1B market leave him vulnerable to topping $20 in the draft. I've kept him at $3 in AL Only, and traded for him at $2 in 18 tm league, so I'm fully on board with Voit.