College Admissions Cheating Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    I think the question of why should there be side-door admissions processes for kids who play any sports is the easiest to tackle. There shouldn't. It makes sense for sports to provide a scholarship, it doesn't make sense for sports to change entrance requirements.
    I do think that football and basketball are a different animal. They are revenue generators for schools. I imagine that Top 10 programs probably support a lot of the revenue losing sports. I think in those two sports, you have kids that have amazing skills, but don't meet the academic riggers of the school, but need a place to showcase their talent.

We can talk about the NFL and NBA not having a "farm-system", but that is another conversation.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
      I do think that football and basketball are a different animal. They are revenue generators for schools. I imagine that Top 10 programs probably support a lot of the revenue losing sports. I think in those two sports, you have kids that have amazing skills, but don't meet the academic riggers of the school, but need a place to showcase their talent.
      That scenario already exists. If you follow any major college program you'll notice that there are players every year who are signed, but don't make the grades and have to go the JuCo route.

Comment

Huh? All I'm saying is eliminate the loophole of "if you are a star athlete you don't have to pass our academic requirements to come to our college"

Entrance and funding are separate topics.

How is that "too complicated"?
        I understand the concept to eliminate the athlete loophole but disagree that entrance and funding aren't linked.

If you run a college and have candidate A with great credentials and candidate B with the same credentials but candidate A needs financial aid and B will be full pay - which one gets in? a few schools dont care - but almost all others do

nevermind - I think you mean entrance/funding is a linked topic different than sports

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
          If you run a college and have candidate A with great credentials and candidate B with the same credentials but candidate A needs financial aid and B will be full pay - which one gets in? a few schools dont care - but almost all others do
          Weird, maybe it's because I was applying many years ago, but I submitted a lot of college applications and none of them asked me how I would be paying for college in my memory.

Comment

Weird, maybe it's because I was applying many years ago, but I submitted a lot of college applications and none of them asked me how I would be paying for college.
            Now if you want to be eligible for aid you need to fill out a FAFSA form. So you could probably apply but you would not receive any aid at all if you didn't fill out the FAFSA. I think this is probably true of just about 100% of colleges.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              Now if you want to be eligible for aid you need to fill out a FAFSA form. So you could probably apply but you would not receive any aid at all if you didn't fill out the FAFSA. I think this is probably true of just about 100% of colleges.
              And financial aid is considered in the college admissions decisions?

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                a few schools dont care - but almost all others do
                I'm reading the opposite. For-profit schools care, but public universities and wealthy private schools don't.

Comment

And financial aid is considered in the college admissions decisions?
                  That I don't know, I'm just saying the school has access to the information. Not sure if they use that in the process or not. It may vary from school to school.
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Sorry to take this so far off topic!

Comment

Right, if you don't submit a FAFSA, they assume you'll pay full tuition, whether out of pocket or using loans.

Comment

no completed FAFSA no aid
                        and if you are looking at private universities there is a whole deeper level of very complex scrutiny with the CSS profile

I can explain more if anyone wants to learn

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          Right, if you don't submit a FAFSA, they assume you'll pay full tuition, whether out of pocket or using loans.
                          Just guessing, but I think some schools might be very happy to accept students who don't submit a FAFSA
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Rather than submitting the FAFSA, I just donated millions of dollars to my alma mater so now there is a Feral Slasher Library. True story
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Just guessing, but I think some schools might be very happy to accept students who don't submit a FAFSA
                              Right. Many schools need a very specific percentage of their entering class to be full-freight so that they can offer financial assistance to the others. Only the Ivies and a few equivalents tend to have a large enough endowment to allow them to commit to both need-blind admissions AND to meeting 100% of demonstrated need.

Comment

It's also a little embarrassing for the kids, many of whom had no idea their parents were going behind their back and hiring someone to cheat on their tests because the parents knew they weren't that smart.

Comment

Working...
                                X