My Pony Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Pony Auction

Pony is a 15 team mixed league keeper auction that quite a few posters from the site participate in. We have been getting together to do it in Ohio each year since 2004 I think.

So my keepers coming in were...

C Yadi Molina $4
    2b Albies $5
    SS C Seager $10
    OF J Winker $5

P C Sale $39
    P C Kluber $46
    P Z Wheeler $10
    P C McHugh $3
    P B Treinen $5
    P W Davis $16

So obviously I came in pitching heavy. I came in with a rough plan of allocating money like this...

$6 dollar for 3 pitchers

$111 on offense for 10 spots

So that was just a rough distribution to try to make me stay disciplined from spending too much money early on the high priced guys and I wanted to make sure I just stayed out of the pitching pool I had already invested a lot. So Kluber and especially Sale did not look bad after we got to the auction. DeGrom $52, T Bauer $46, C Carrasco $43, G Cole $44. In the end, maybe I toss Kluber back and go for Cole, but who knows how the auction dynamics play that out.

So I mostly sat there for at least 2 full rounds of nominations. I might have got in on someone that was under inflation by a few dollars in the 30's and came within getting topped on getting, I think it was Rendon I was in at $37 but got topped to $38, but mostly I sat there and watched. I think in the 3rd round I got a little active. I bid Will Myers up to $25 but got topped to $26. Next guy up was Votto and I was in again and wound up winning him for $32. $2 over what I had in the plan, but I like him to bounce back. A few guys later they threw out another guy who I had on the target list. Yasiel Puig, I was hoping to get him for $25, but he went to $28 and I got him at $28. So now I am $5 over the plan, but I have my two main hitters and didn't totally blow the budget.

A few players later a 3rd Red come out that was on my list and I almost wound up with Suarez, I had the winning bid at $27 but got topped to $28. Ok so now we get into the where do I invest my last chunk of money. I tried and tried to get someone I really liked and kept missing. Jose Abreu went up to $30 Segura went to $35. I dropped out of Justin Turner at $23 and he went for $24. Castellanos went for $31. I let Pollock go for $24. Lo Cain went for $32. Eventually, I had to bite the bullet and go over my $20 and I had a pretty big tier drop when Brian Dozier came out. I decided to bet on the rebound and playing time in Washington and paid $25.

My 4th buy was Austin Barnes for $4, he gave me two catchers that won't hurt me for $8. Most catchers went under value according to the RotoWire software I was running, but I think Barnes will be ok for me at this price.

I knew I needed to find some more chip in speed and was looking for that now. I grabbed Kevin Pillar for $6 in hopes of 15/15. Next was Shin-Soo Choo again hoping for solid production and I again paid $6. I had missed out on 3B, Kyle Seager went for $11 and Eduardo Escobar for $16. So I wound up with Jake Lamb for $4. This was a little run for me I grabbed Jay Bruce as 1B/OF for $4.

After that run I finally bought a pitcher, Steckenrider went to me for $2. With 10 reserve rounds coming for me to chase SP's I decided to take a chance on 20 saves here to go with Davis/Treinen.

Back to hitting I needed a CI and took a shot on Ryan O'hearn and his power for $1. Had saved a $3 bid for Manny Margot only to get topped by someone else who had $4. So the next OF up on my list for a little speed power was Kevin Kiermaier who I was able to get for a $1.

Saving that money let me top someone and get Dylan Bundy for $2. I want the K's my rations are projected to be well in the top 3 even with some terrible Bundy ratios. If he is a disaster again I will be using at least 5 RSV picks to get pitchers. I tossed Matt Boyd for $2 and thought I was done only to get topped by someone for $3. So had to wait. JC and I had a funny moment here where I had $2 for one spot and he had $2 for 2 spots and we both knew what pitcher I was going to take. I got Michael Fulmer for $1.

We did 2 RSV rounds right after and will do 8 more over email. So we have a real tight salary cap and the first two rounds of RSV are $10 players so I decided I'd take 2 hitters in the first two rounds since they can replace guys with higher salaries usually. If my bench guys are replacing Kluber and Sale for long stretches I am screwed and everyone else besides Wheeler and Davis is cheap. So I took Jed Lowrie in the 1st and Keke Hernandez in the 2nd. Assuming the Mets aren't lying again and Jed will be ok he will be 2B and 3B eligible and Keke is already 2b, SS, and OF. So some nice flexible guys can be helpful.

So 8 more rounds of reserve and the plan will be to get at least 3 SP, maybe 1 swing guy, and 1 possible closer guy if things work out. Hitting wise just best available.

Here's the roster...

C Y Molina $4
    C A Barnes $4
    1B J Votto $32
    2B O Albies $5
    3B J Lamb $4
    SS C Seager $10
    MI B Dozier $25
    CI R O'Hearn $1
    OF J Winker $5
    OF Y Puig $28
    OF K Pillar $6
    OF S Choo $6
    OF K Kiermaier $1
    UT J Bruce $4

P C Kluber $46
    P C Sale $39
    P Z Wheeler $10
    P C McHugh $3
    P D Bundy $2
    P M Fulmer $1
    P W Davis $16
    P B Treinen $5
    P D Steckenrider $2

RSV
    Jed Lowrie
    Keke Hernandez

All thoughts are welcome, hope you enjoyed the read.
    Last edited by frae; 03-10-2019, 09:23 PM.

Your hitting is as boring as can be, but that's not really an insult. I think that Dozier bounces back, Bruce gives you 25, Votto also bounces back, and Puig tears it up in Cincy. Might be a little light on speed, but that remains to be seen. Your pitching is stellar, you should be near the top in almost all categories.

Nice job of following your plan...you should do well.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Sorry Frae, but outside of Puig (a maybe) hitting well I dont see much from your OF. Bruce doesn't excite me either. O'hearn is risky. Hope your offense performs to your expectations and not mine! Good luck.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Sorry Frae, but outside of Puig (a maybe) hitting well I dont see much from your OF. Bruce doesn't excite me either. O'hearn is risky. Hope your offense performs to your expectations and not mine! Good luck.
        I won’t say you are wrong and I won’t act like I do my own projections I just don’t have time for that but I followed rotowires and without getting into some owned farm guys that people have the projections put me 2nd with an average offense and elite pitching. I won’t say it’s right but I chased the title the last two seasons so my keeper list was not elite so keeping all the pitching seemed like my most viable strategy to contend again. We will see I put the plan into place that i thought gave me a shot but who knows.

Comment

Love your pitching like your hitting.

Mostly because I do not like Votto at $32 or Dozier for $25. That said I like all of your hitters 6 bucks and under...actually I like all of your players 6 bucks and under.

It seems like you had good discipline as well as a fun time at the auction. The way I read your description it feels like you were able to slow the draft down and walk through it without panic.

I will have to wait much like you did in both of my leagues this year. I am going in with little money.

Thank you for posting it and good luck with your season.

Comment

Cripes, you put more thought into this post than I did my whole draft
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
              Cripes, you put more thought into this post than I did my whole draft
              Haha, I might have a problem.

Comment

I don't get the Dozier love at all, but otherwise a team of really smart buys. Boring veterans everyone hates on offense is a good way to win in this league. Kiermaier and O'Hearn are great picks for a buck each. I also don't get the Kluber love, but I'm down on him generally and I would have rather tossed him back and chased Cole. Then again, with 1 more owner chasing elite SP, who knows how high he goes? I was a little worried about that which is why I kept Scherzer at 51. My team would have looked better if I bought Degrom at auction for 50 and kept someone else, but I was worried I couldn't pull it off.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  I don't get the Dozier love at all, but otherwise a team of really smart buys. Boring veterans everyone hates on offense is a good way to win in this league. Kiermaier and O'Hearn are great picks for a buck each. I also don't get the Kluber love, but I'm down on him generally and I would have rather tossed him back and chased Cole. Then again, with 1 more owner chasing elite SP, who knows how high he goes? I was a little worried about that which is why I kept Scherzer at 51. My team would have looked better if I bought Degrom at auction for 50 and kept someone else, but I was worried I couldn't pull it off.
                  Yep I’d love cole at 44 over him but I’d prefer kluber at 46 over Carrasco at 43. He was in the ballpark of where he would go and let me plan for the auction with stability. I prefer to look at him and sale for 85 as a pair. I agree on dozier I’m not hyped but the guys that went 25 and under didn’t inspire me either. Hopefully i get a bounce back he went for $35 at our 2018 auction. And yes I took all those non shiny toy vets like pillar choo and Bruce who should be good for fairly stable stats.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    Dozier went that high because he was one of the last Possible speed guy.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                      Dozier went that high because he was one of the last Possible speed guy.
                      Is Dozier still consider a speed guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        I'd say he was the last 20+HR 15 SB guy. He was also MI which was getting thin. He is not my favorite pick, but if he's healthy he will be in that lineup everyday and he really should go 23 HR and 13 SB's with decent counting numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Even last year with the bone bruise on his knee, he stole a dozen...he's always had double digit steals with the exception of his rookie year, when he had 9 in less than 100 games.

So while not a blazer, he's a solid contributor...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Even last year with the bone bruise on his knee, he stole a dozen...he's always had double digit steals with the exception of his rookie year, when he had 9 in less than 100 games.

So while not a blazer, he's a solid contributor...
                            I can see 12-15, it's just odd to me that his price was so inflated due to "speed".

It looks like Andrus ($15), Allen ($4), Braun ($12), Semien ($14), and Pillar ($6) were all on the board and could provide the same 12-15 steals, if not more in some cases. I think Semien would have been my target if that's the profile that's needed.

Comment

What are your feelings on topper rights? I imagine it is fun to use yourself but pretty painful when you win a bid only to lose it.

Does it add strategy to the process?

Comment

Working...
                              X