Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was I thinking? I drafted Eflin today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was I thinking? I drafted Eflin today!

In our RJ PONY auction today (mixed, 5x5, $260 budget) I drafted, in what I can only explain was a bout of insanity, Zach Eflin. He was only a dollar, but I was rushed to throw out a name, and I wanted pitcher money to be used up and I quickly threw out Eflin… and then, the dreaded crickets. I totally wasted a pitcher slot! Please, please someone tell me something positive about him...

Phillies' Zach Eflin: Strong start to spring
    2 hrs ago | by RotoWire Staff
    Eflin struck out three over 2.2 scoreless frames in Friday's 5-4 loss to the Braves in Grapefruit League play. He issued two walks and gave up a hit in the outing.

Eflin has performed well through two abbreviated starts this spring, surrendering just one run over 5.2 innings. The pair of quality outings should strengthen his hold on a back-end rotation spot, especially with one of his top threats for the job (Jerad Eickhoff) having yet to make his Grapefruit League debut.

Comment

If the league was big enough, that was not the worst signing in history. ADP-wise Eflin is low 300s, comparable to Wacha, Matt Boyd, and Luke Weaver. He has value if he's pitching.

Eflin was victim to dreadful OF defense in 2018. Moving Hoskins to 1B will help enormously. The IF defense will suffer but not as much. His biggest problem is that he may not make the rotation. Keep an eye on that.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

The league is 15 teams, right? Efflin is rosterable in a league that size, and has a bit of upside. You did not waste your buck.

Comment

He has a lot of potential and has shown great flashes (and increased his strikeout rate substantially last year) but hasn’t been able to sustain it for long periods. For what it’s worth, the Phillies supposedly said he was off-limits when they talked to the Orioles about Manny Machado last Summer, so they’re obviously high on him...

Comment

Are you out of your Eflin mind?
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks guys, for your support. Yeah, its 15 teams of RotoJunkies. Of course I'll hold on to him and see what happens, hoping he makes the rotation. My plan to get pitching dollars off the board backfired on me. What makes it more embarrassing what it was basically mid-auction, certainly not a end-game move.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Are you out of your Eflin mind?
                I know, I know...

Comment

Eflin is not even 25 years old yet. So, the once highly touted prospect could still turn things around.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Eflin is not even 25 years old yet. So, the once highly touted prospect could still turn things around.
                    So, a glass half full moment, rather than half empty? I'm not even sure Eflin was my worse drafted. Perhaps Joncarlos can comment on that one. I'm sure our rosters will get posted here sooner or later. I just know I have to make the most of our reserve draft over the next few weeks. Thanks again guys for all your comments!

Comment

Eflin may have the best "stuff" on the Phil's SP roster, arguably comparable to Pivetta. If/when he puts everything together, he will be a force.
                      Bearin' up!

Comment

One of the teams in PONY is a Phlly nut, but even he didn't bid $2. But if Eflin does put it all together, he'll come begging for a trade!

Comment

My dad used to work for an architectural firm named Schaefer, Schirmer, and Eflin.

After all that has been said, get Eickhoff if you can do it cheaply. One of the two is going to get starts.

BTW Fangraphs auction value, 5x5, 15 team, is $2.3.

J
                          Last edited by onejayhawk; 03-09-2019, 11:20 PM.
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I'm not on Team Eflin - but I would give him the proverbial boxing "puncher's chance."
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Well...sometimes things like this work out. He did add 2 MPH to his FB last season. His FIP was 3.84. Also his Strand was 69 and Phillies defense is much better this season so if he takes a step forward you might have a nice surprise. OTOH....

Comment

Working...
                              X