Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was I thinking? I drafted Eflin today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he was kept at 10 in my deep NL no-bench league
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
      Hopefully you started him today.
      I bought him for $7 in my NL only and did start him.

Comment

"benches" - sigh.

back in my day, no one put on a seat belt or a bicycle helmet - and if you own a pitcher, he pitches for you every time until you get rid of him (and you are limited in how often you can do that). if he is borderline and headed to Coors Field - well, do you feel lucky?

#getoffmylawn

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          "benches" - sigh.

back in my day, no one put on a seat belt or a bicycle helmet - and if you own a pitcher, he pitches for you every time until you get rid of him (and you are limited in how often you can do that). if he is borderline and headed to Coors Field - well, do you feel lucky?

#getoffmylawn
          This is why I like daily moves with a bench. You can shuttle pitchers or hitters in and out of your line-up. My other NL league I wasn't paying attention and left Burnes and his 12 K on the bench and that is a weekly line-up. Big Sigh -

Comment

"You can shuttle pitchers or hitters in and out of your line-up."

"This is why I like having those bumpers in what used to be called gutters in bowling - you can make a terrible throw and still knock down some pins!"
            "I love that everyone gets a participation trophy - even if their team sucks!"

God forbid that you might have to own a player and receive his stats, come what may. The Rotisserie League founders would be rolling over in their graves, if they were dead. A 'bench' is in fundamental opposition to the basic tenets of the game.

#getoffmylawn

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

"You can shuttle pitchers or hitters in and out of your line-up."

"This is why I like having those bumpers in what used to be called gutters in bowling - you can make a terrible throw and still knock down some pins!"
              "I love that everyone gets a participation trophy - even if their team sucks!"

God forbid that you might have to own a player and receive his stats, come what may. The Rotisserie League founders would be rolling over in their graves, if they were dead. A 'bench' is in fundamental opposition to the basic tenets of the game.

#getoffmylawn
              The founding fathers put this game together in a restaurant and the technology back then was stats by hand and USA Today. Maybe you and Clint can have a drink together provided he doesn't tell you to "get off my lawn" then point his finger at you thinking he can shoot you with it.

finger pistol.jpg

Comment

Eflin earned his participation trophy yesterday, for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                  The founding fathers put this game together in a restaurant and the technology back then was stats by hand and USA Today. Maybe you and Clint can have a drink together provided he doesn't tell you to "get off my lawn" then point his finger at you thinking he can shoot you with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1171[/ATTACH]
                  I’m with JJ on this one. The issue is that daily activations favor people who have more free time. Sure, I generally check scores and news a hundred times a day. But there are plenty of days when work precludes doing so. I played in a daily lineup league a few times and won’t go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                    I’m with JJ on this one. The issue is that daily activations favor people who have more free time. Sure, I generally check scores and news a hundred times a day. But there are plenty of days when work precludes doing so. I played in a daily lineup league a few times and won’t go back.
                    When the discussion about switching from weekly to daily came up in one of my leagues someone said in response, "I'm already married."

Comment

We actually dialed it down further this year.

we have always been a "pounce" league - if your player hit the DL, you had an opening that maybe no one else had.
                      if the player was good, it sucked, but at least if someone (not in our extensive farm system) came up or an MLB guy suddenly got an expanded role, you could grab him.

now this year we are trying the onroto bidmeister option.

so for example, the guy who has Trea Turner has no other SS eligibles. in our deep league, there are only 3 unowned options.
                      last year, he could have just immediately grabbed one if he liked.
                      this year, he doesn't even get that consolation - someone more favored than him in the pecking order might take that bum away.

funny thing is that literally half the owners in this league are retired, and only two have kids who aren't adults. we never wanted daily transax, but I didn't expect to end even the 'pounce' option, effective the next weekly period. but we're trying it.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                        To me it involves a whole 5 minutes to make daily moves but I understand what you are saying.

Comment

"benches" - sigh.

#getoffmylawn
                          Benches allow us to manage our teams during the season. We play with 40 man rosters - 25 active and 15 reserves. It provides a lot of flexibility to build the minor league squad and the major league bench. This way, we get the experience of the owner, the manager and the GM. We use weekly transactions instead of daily, and a $100 FAAB to purchase players - unlimited though...only six moves would feel so restrictive.
                          2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

well, we can make dozens of moves if a lot of our guys get hurt or demoted.
                            we just can't 'stream' players willy-nilly all season.

point is that your auction roster gets to look at least a little like your final roster in October.

a bunch of our owners who play in other leagues, meanwhile, got us to switch to onroto's Bidmeister this year. so far it is hated.

old way: I own Dickerson, he goes to the DL about 6 hours after our weekly moves, but I can check the available players list. hmm, JB Shuck may get some of the new PT - but he shucks. Pirates bring up the kid Martin - a better play? what's a Zagunis and why is he hitting .500 for the Cubs? Howie Kendrick, a favorite of mine but how often will he play?

so lots of choices.

with Bidmeister? no reason to even bother looking at the list of available players for 6 days.
                            and come Thursday morning, I'll be 7th in the pecking order - so anyone who is hitting this week will be snatched away.
                            the limitation of six 'free' moves means owners will start getting stingy by midseason, which helps the teams replacing an injured player. but for now, it just sucks.

anyone else use Bidmeister? the selling point was supposed to be, "this way if a hot minor leaguer comes up or there is a newly-minted closer, he doesn't just go to a team 'lucky' enough to have an opening."

I guess. oddly enough, literally half the owners in this league are retired and only one has a kid who is still a minor. plus our farmhand systems hold up to 8 players, so no one in a top 70 or so on a prospect list is unowned.

I think come October it will be, "Bidmeister, we hardly knew ye!"

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

well, we can make dozens of moves if a lot of our guys get hurt or demoted.
                              we just can't 'stream' players willy-nilly all season.

point is that your auction roster gets to look at least a little like your final roster in October.

a bunch of our owners who play in other leagues, meanwhile, got us to switch to onroto's Bidmeister this year. so far it is hated.

old way: I own Dickerson, he goes to the DL about 6 hours after our weekly moves, but I can check the available players list. hmm, JB Shuck may get some of the new PT - but he shucks. Pirates bring up the kid Martin - a better play? what's a Zagunis and why is he hitting .500 for the Cubs? Howie Kendrick, a favorite of mine but how often will he play?

so lots of choices.

with Bidmeister? no reason to even bother looking at the list of available players for 6 days.
                              and come Thursday morning, I'll be 7th in the pecking order - so anyone who is hitting this week will be snatched away.
                              the limitation of six 'free' moves means owners will start getting stingy by midseason, which helps the teams replacing an injured player. but for now, it just sucks.

anyone else use Bidmeister? the selling point was supposed to be, "this way if a hot minor leaguer comes up or there is a newly-minted closer, he doesn't just go to a team 'lucky' enough to have an opening."

I guess. oddly enough, literally half the owners in this league are retired and only one has a kid who is still a minor. plus our farmhand systems hold up to 8 players, so no one in a top 70 or so on a prospect list is unowned.

I think come October it will be, "Bidmeister, we hardly knew ye!"
                              Why not use FAAB? Everyone starts the season with the same budget to use to acquire free agents, and each week, you're allowed to use that budget to submit bids. Highest bid wins, and any player acquired with a bid over $50 must be kept, or an actual cash penalty must be paid into next season's pool. We use standings for waiver wire position - any released player spends a week on waivers and can be claimed, with priority in reverse order of standings, before becoming a free agent who is thereafter eligible for FAAB bids.

Bidmeister sounds terrible. An owner still has to be "lucky" to be the team with the highest priority that week, in order to get the hot minor leaguer or AL traded player. FAAB gives everyone an equal shot, dependent on how high they want to go now vs how much they want to save to pursue a future player (or players)
                              2021 Auction Anatomy
                              2021 Keeper Decisions
                              2020 Auction Anatomy
                              2020 Pre-Auction
                              2015 Auction Anatomy
                              2014 Auction Anatomy
                              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

we just have FAAB for arrivals from AL.

ultimately it comes down to how important leagues want to make the auctions.
                                the Rotisserie founders wanted them to be paramount - only 3 waiver moves per year, and you could only claim some other owner's discards, for example. we subscribe to the original philosophy, basically, but loosened the screws a tad.

but there's more than one way to skin a cat - or so I am told

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X