Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who are your MUST own 2019

who do you got??

Let me tell you after my main league auction. Anything I say before then would be purely lies.

Comment

My only must own was Trout, as I paid $76 to get him which was $21 higher than any other player.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        Let me tell you after my main league auction. Anything I say before then would be purely lies.
        +1...Four auctions/drafts coming up, and many of the owners frequent this site.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I can share some of the guys I traded for before our keepers locked without fear of them being sniped in our auction. I acquired Albies, Pham, Kepler, Hicks, Carlos Santana, all at what I think of as discounts. I like them all more than their adps this year.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            So list the players that you DON'T want and they will bid those players up expecting you to keep bidding!
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

In my AL only it was Betts last year. I got him for $45 and will be keeping him this year and next. No raise planned after this year.

Given my keeper list I have no more must gets although I really want a good closer if the price is right.

Comment

I really want Daniel Murphy in Colorado.

In my keeper league, I'll pay an extra buck for Mejia in SD, as I think his price this year will pay off huge at that same salary for the next 3 years.

Comment

I honestly don't consider anyone a "must own". I just let my auction play out and go after players that i think are either fairly priced or a bargain. Now, that could change over the course of the auction. For instance, if i don't have any closers and the last decent one is up for bid, then that player becomes a must own for me at that point in time. But, i try to avoid getting into those situations if i can.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    So list the players that you DON'T want and they will bid those players up expecting you to keep bidding!
                    I could do that, but what is the point? Everyone knows that if I answered that I'd be as honest as Joanne Isuzu.

Comment

I am trying to get myself to consummate a marriage with Strasburg. only other SP studs available are Scherzer and Thor (in a Mets-loving league), plus wild-card Kershaw. might even name SS first if either of the others remains on the table in the first round.

gotta pick some hill to die on
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        I am trying to get myself to consummate a marriage with Strasburg. only other SP studs available are Scherzer and Thor (in a Mets-loving league), plus wild-card Kershaw. might even name SS first if either of the others remains on the table in the first round.

gotta pick some hill to die on
                        You might get him relatively cheaply given the other options and his injury history. With your keeper SP choices, you have to live/die on SP hill at the auction; at least Stras has the upside. But if he gets towards Scherzer prices, just get Scherzer; he is one of those freaks of nature that can throw a baseball that fast without destroying his body.

Comment

yeah, I had Scherzer cheap as a pup before he went to the AL.

the beauty/challenge of the auction is that I won't know who gets called out first. I go 9th, so quite possible that the two big guns have been bought already. that would leave a few of us as the bachelorettes praying to get that last rose.

my league is like many where by now, half the owners have bought him or traded for him at some point - and been disappointed. he has yet to darken my door, which might help. strong start so far (and he rarely does that in spring training), and if he's healthy....
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I am keeping Scherzer at $54 in my NL only 5x5 12 team $260 budget league. I own Stras for $34A. The only other two top pitchers back in auction are deGrom and Corbin. Three if you still count Kershaw.

I am also keeping Nola at $29 (for reference).

I have posted Strass for a reserve draft upgrade and have had no nibbles. It may be that the league knows I cannot keep him and will just take their chances at auction. But then they take the chance of paying more.

I have actually thought of trading Scherzer, keeping Strass and saving the $20 bucks for the auction. But I made myself a promise to keep him so I am letting that thought pass on. So maybe I don't value Strass enough as well.

If you budget $40 for him in your league, it may do it. Especially if he gets nominated before the others that you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                            X