Final cutdown decisions: 4x4 NL-only, Keeper, 12-team auction, $280. cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final cutdown decisions: 4x4 NL-only, Keeper, 12-team auction, $280. cap

I have made some trades, picking up some useful guys, moving along guys I can't fit.
    I am left with deciding the final 4 keepers from among these 5 players---one has to be cut:

Jordan Hicks P | STL --------------11 1
    Cesar Hernandez 2B | PHI---------14 1
    Seranthony Dominguez P |PHI-----15 1
    Ian Happ 3B,OF | CHC--------------5 2
    Yadier Molina C | STL -------------14 2

Happ will be entering his 3rd year, needs a LT contract or release after this year. I am not contemplating a contract for him.
    The others will enter their 2nd year after cut-down.

This league prizes closers, a lot, so these 2 will not be rebid cheaper, not even close.
    2B is expected to be slim pickings.
    I am keeping Myers at 3b--a LTC--but Happ could go to CI or OF. I am already keeping 3 OF-only guys.
    Catcher [2 rostered] is a position where I will either bid for 2-$1. guys or keep Molina + bid a $1 guy. I could use his production and he is at value.

I would appreciate your thoughts --yes, in a vacuum-- as to whom I should release.
    Scottw
    Bearin' up!

Cut Happ. That seems easy. If you are going for it this year, I don't think he is likely to help, and he can't be kept past this year even if you aren't competing.

Comment

Happ is your least likely to produce but is also the cheapest.

But yes, I would cut Happ as well.

Comment

If Kimbrel becomes willing to settle for a 2 or 3 year deal, the Phillies could sign him and push Dominguez into a setup role. So, that's a $15 gamble for you. And David Robertson is a legitimate threat to take over the Phillies closer job if Dominguez struggles again. I would play it safe and keep Happ.

edit: FWIW, i just noticed that Closer Monkey has Robertson listed as the Phillies closer. But Rotoworld says Robertson and Dominguez will share closer duties.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

So has the manager! Also Neris. Whomever the numbers show will do best in a given situation. Sucks from our viewpoint!
          As I understand it, Robertson has not been a closer, but a top set-up guy? Maybe Kapler keeps him in his comfort zone?
          The kid has such overwhelming stuff that I am willing to take a chance. I think.

Edit: I just don't see them spending on Kimbrel or any other high-profile closer. They love this bullpen and Kapler is by no means a manager who runs his "closer" out there anytime there is a save situation. I see them getting a top SP, though,sooner or later.
          Bearin' up!

Comment

I love Sir Anthony and own him at 10 and might keep him - but for 15?

Robertson SV totals 2014-17 were 39, 34, 37, 14

also 5 last year in a return to NYY

I don't think any Phillie SVs 25 this year, unless they sign Kimbrel
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              I love Sir Anthony and own him at 10 and might keep him - but for 15?

Robertson SV totals 2014-17 were 39, 34, 37, 14

also 5 last year in a return to NYY

I don't think any Phillie SVs 25 this year, unless they sign Kimbrel
              shows my total ignorance of all things AL! Thanks! I may need to handcuff the 2 of them.
              Bearin' up!

Comment

I'm dropping Sir Anthony too... I know, saves, and 4x4, and $280... but I think there's a good chance Robertson walks away with 25 saves, or they sign Kimbrel, or something else prevents Dominguez from getting 15+ saves. If you throw him back and he goes for $20, then just smile and hope you were right to cut him.

Comment

Working...
                X