Same league as MJL and Redbirds

C: Astudillo $4, Narváez $3
    1B: Gallo $19 (1B/OF)
    2B: Gordon $17 (2B/OF)
    SS: Polanco $3
    3B: Seager $1
    CI: Hosmer $11
    MI: Castro $3
    OF: Betts $48, Puig $23, Robles $21, Peralta $14, Mancini $1 (1B/OF)
    UT: B. Anderson $2 (3B/OF)

Bench: Happ (3B/OF), Harrison (2B)

SP: Cole $34, Wheeler $15, Hamels $10, Ryu $5, Musgrove $3, Skaggs $2
    RP: LeClerc $14, Hicks $5, Givens $2

Bench: Weaver, Boyd, Odorizzi, T. Richards, Anibal Sanchez

Quick Analysis:
    • Betts/Cole was the plan going in. I budgetted $50 for Betts and $30 for Cole and went $2 over on the combo.
    • Had to fight mjl for Gallo but I won this time
    • Somewhat similar to draft, I went for multi-position eligible players where possible since we have a short bench. I got plenty of OFers, that's for sure.
    • OF is a strength on this team, opposite of my draft team
    • My favorite buys: Mancini for $1 -- I'm not sure why that happened, he was the top player on my board when I nominated him but no one else bid. I think it's pretty reasonable to expect closer to $10 of value than $1. Musgrove for $3 - I think he's a ~$8-10 pitcher. Polanco for $3 - I think he's underpriced everywhere.
    • Mistakes: I overpaid for Robles - I think he's a $15-$18 guy, not $21 and I don't like spending that much on young players with risk. Hosmer for $11 is okay I guess but I would have much rather waited and spent $9 on Ian Desmond.
    • Guys I missed out on - $9 Desmond as I mentioned, $11 McCutchen (mjl), $5 Braun (Byron Cox), $2 Cron, $1 Strickland, $3 Josh Bell, $4 Schoop. Several of those guys went late after the auction turned from overpriced to underpriced. I went in and spent my money just a bit too early, I have to learn to be slighly more patient (without waiting too long and leaving money on the table)

Really solid team, plenty of power, should be good on speed, other than Gallo, nobody is killing your average. I like Seager as a sneaky 25/80 guy, great for a buck. Pitching is solid all around...Musgrove could be a steal if healthy...

Nice job...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Looks like another solid Ken team. I haven't projected the teams, but you have to be among the top squads.

You got your share of studs but still got to take advantage of the super-bargains at the end.
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Very solid. Peralta makes sense in combination with Gallo but I still think you may have problems in BA.

My biggest issue is that I'm not sure I would have combined Wheeler, Ryu, Musgrove, and Skaggs. I like them a lot individually, but they have major injury concerns/histories. You did a good job of filling your bench with pitchers but I think your team's success may come down to how many of your starters can get to 160 innings. Musgrove and Skaggs never have and Ryu's only done it once. Last year, I had Tanaka, Maeda, and Wacha on the same squad so I'm trying to be especially cognizant of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Really solid team, plenty of power, should be good on speed, other than Gallo, nobody is killing your average. I like Seager as a sneaky 25/80 guy, great for a buck. Pitching is solid all around...Musgrove could be a steal if healthy...

Nice job...
          Thanks - yeah I needed the power from Seager so hopefully he comes through.

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
          Looks like another solid Ken team. I haven't projected the teams, but you have to be among the top squads.

You got your share of studs but still got to take advantage of the super-bargains at the end.
          Thanks Lucky, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your two teams too

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
          Very solid. Peralta makes sense in combination with Gallo but I still think you may have problems in BA.
          Certainly possible, I'll be watching for that thanks.

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
          My biggest issue is that I'm not sure I would have combined Wheeler, Ryu, Musgrove, and Skaggs. I like them a lot individually, but they have major injury concerns/histories. You did a good job of filling your bench with pitchers but I think your team's success may come down to how many of your starters can get to 160 innings. Musgrove and Skaggs never have and Ryu's only done it once. Last year, I had Tanaka, Maeda, and Wacha on the same squad so I'm trying to be especially cognizant of this.
          You're not wrong, and the bench starters were certainly a part of me seeing the same thing. My weakness this year is finding the solid / but relatively cheap middle tier starting pitchers. For me this year, there's a big cliff from the studs down to the garbage, and I have yet to find a good balance of those guys in between. That's something I will keep working on for my next drafts, thank you for the analysis, it's solid.

Comment

Looks good Ken. Might have been draft dynamics but I see a huge disconnect between Hosmer $11 and Mancini $1...I mean I could make a case for Mancini being the better player, period. I also think you'd probably wind up happier with Harrison over Anderson in the end.

Comment

Thanks Pauly.

I see a huge disconnect too - Hosmer was full price when I was worried that the 1B list would dry up, Mancini was end game, there were still ~2 or 3 teams that needed OF/1B and had cash, but everyone else was in dollar days. I expected those other teams to bid him up bit I got crickets which I was very happy with.

Harrison is definitely in consideration for starting.

Comment

That looks like a good team. There is the injury risk for the pitchers, but I like the combination---if you pool enough risk together, you'll probably get a couple who stay healthy, and with those guys, they'll be great if they stay healthy. You have the Lloyd's of London staff---pooling weird risk for expensive insurance.

Comment

I like the way you spent your money on this team.

Really like Narvaez for 3 bucks.

Got some good stars. Took some risk with high reward pitchers for low cost. If you hit on a couple you are golden. I like the bench pick up of Boyd and Weaver. I love Ryu and Musgrove at those prices.

This should be an exciting and competitive team.

Comment

I am not a fan of Navarez, and while I love Astudillo, I doubt he plays enough. And I still love this team.

Comment

Very balanced and strong, Ken. I might have gone with a different backup than Happ (a better OF), but that’s picking nits.

Comment

Working...
                      X