No announcement yet.

Ilhan Omar controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is indeed both. His veto certainly should be getting far more attention than Omar's one sentence.

Comment

• BTW, it is my congressman (Crenshaw) who started this mess, which is maybe a part of why I feel more than a passing interest in it.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        BTW, it is my congressman (Crenshaw) who started this mess, which iszing maybe a part of why I feel more than a passing interest in it.
        Any insight into why he doesn't support the bill? I don't get it. His lack of support has far more negative impact than anything he is criticizing Omar for.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          I'll share a couple experiences that might explain my position on all this.

1) After 9/11 when I was pumping gas a truck pulled up with custom lettering that said "kill them all, let Allah sort them out". With a nuclear bomb symbol. Apparently this person was totally comfortable promoting this. I suspect they would not have been comfortable with a nazi symbol or a KKK sticker. But Muslims were totally open season.

2) My wife worked at a school with about third or more students with Somalian and Eritrean ethnicity. Many people kept there kids home one day when apparently someone discovered a "kill a Muslim day" post on facebook.

I have neighbors down the street and the girl looks like a mini Ilhan Omar. She is a bit younger than my kids, but they used to play a little, and she would knock on our door occasionally. It is really horrible for me to think that she and the kids at my wife's school have to put up with bullshit because they are different. and it's even worse when people won't stand up and support them because their only real representative didn't use appropriate rhetoric and composition in her attempt to stand up for them. The whole controversy is total bullshit and pisses me off more than I can describe. I don't think the people who discriminate against them much care about rhetoric, innuendo, eumpehisms, etc. And unfortunately the kids have to just understand that we are all ok with them being something less than American and making sure they know that.
          Absolutely and well put. This is the bottom line, and while I ultimately agree with Sour Masher's points about Rep. Omar's rhetorical choice and the predictability of its effect, I'm done worrying about it and ready to re-embrace this important issue of broad, rampant Islamophobia. I do think there was a fair bit of discussion about it in the months after 9/11 when there were a spate of hate crimes against Muslims or perceived Muslims, and President Bush spoke to it thoughtfully at the time. But in the internet and Trump era, it needs a re-vetting.

Comment

• so here is the original thread where we discussed Ilhan's comments. Neither IJ or JJ participated as far as I can tell, but now want to claim "the women as such, it's the vileness they are spewing that Trumps wants in the public eye. Democrats talk of Trump preaching hate. Actions are louder than words and the Squad is hatred personified." Hmmmm….I guess they have another opportunity to tell as all about the hate and vile that AOC and the squad are promoting
            Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 07-21-2019, 02:12 PM.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• your false linking of me to a comment is par for the course around here these days.

anything that shakes you out of your cocoon of your carefully-crafted Facebook, Twitter and other social media self-reinforcing prattle outrages you guys. so I'll let the circle jerk continue here unabated. over and out.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                your false linking of me to a comment is par for the course around here these days.

anything that shakes you out of your cocoon of your carefully-crafted Facebook, Twitter and other social media self-reinforcing prattle outrages you guys. so I'll let the circle jerk continue here unabated. over and out.
                So just to recap, IJ claimed "It isn't the women as such, it's the vileness they are spewing that Trumps wants in the public eye. Democrats talk of Trump preaching hate. Actions are louder than words and the Squad is hatred personified." I asked for examples and you decided to post, apparently to provide examples, though they were clearly not. And now when people point out how lame your argument is and ask for evidence you decide to go home and call names. I'd be happy to see any evidence of onejay's claim from you or anyone else and if you don't have any I'd also be happy for you to leave the conversation
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

your false linking of me to a comment is par for the course around here these days.

It is kind of amusing that you apparently think the Squad is so vile and hateful that only someone in a bubble could think otherwise.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I ran across this today.

A resolution passed by the Alabama Republican Party says Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar "has engaged in rhetoric that explicitly runs counter to American values and patriotism." Omar responded on Twitter by making reference to former Judge Roy Moore.

RESOLUTION NO 2019-12
                    Summer Meeting
                    24 August 2019
                    Resolution: Support for Rep. Ilhan Omar's expulsion
                    from the United States Congress
                    WHEREAS, Rep. Omar has engaged in rhetoric that explicitly runs
                    counter to American values and patriotism by falsely accusing U.S. armed
                    forces of committing war crimes while on mission to liberate her home
                    country of Somalia
                    WHEREAS, Rep. Omar dismissed the 9/11 terror attacks waged by
                    radical Islam on the World Trade Center by stating "some people did
                    something"
                    WHEREAS, Rep. Omar sympathized with a convicted terrorist and
                    member of the Islamic State oflraq and Syria by advocating a U.S.
                    District Judge for sentencing leniency
                    WHEREAS, Rep. Omar has a disturbing record of using anti-Semitic
                    language that includes alleging Jewish money is used to buy American
                    influence regarding its policy toward Israel; Rep. Omar is also a supporter
                    of the anti-Israel Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions campaign
                    THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Alabama Republican Party
                    urges its elected congressional delegation to proceed with the expulsion
                    process in accordance to Article 1, Section 5 of the U.S. Constitution to
                    expel Rep. Ilhan Omar from the United States House of Representatives
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I'm semi-retired, but here you go posting some inane Alabama nonsense. I guess you like slam dunks - but don't like to try basketball shots from a distance.

much more interesting would be your take on NY Congressman Jerry Nadler's take last week on a cartoon RT'd by Omar and Tlaib.

which side are you on?

(((Rep. Nadler)))
                      @RepJerryNadler
                      The growing anti-Semitism in our political dialogue is repugnant. @realdonaldtrump’s comments about disloyalty are a vicious and dangerous anti-Semitic trope. And the Carlos Latuff cartoon forwarded by @RepRashida and @Ilhan can surely be read for its vile underlying message.
                      5:11 PM · Aug 22, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

#Showtime
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I'm semi-retired, but here you go posting some inane Alabama nonsense. I guess you like slam dunks - but don't like to try basketball shots from a distance.

much more interesting would be your take on NY Congressman Jerry Nadler's take last week on a cartoon RT'd by Omar and Tlaib.

which side are you on?

(((Rep. Nadler)))
                        @RepJerryNadler
                        The growing anti-Semitism in our political dialogue is repugnant. @realdonaldtrump’s comments about disloyalty are a vicious and dangerous anti-Semitic trope. And the Carlos Latuff cartoon forwarded by @RepRashida and @Ilhan can surely be read for its vile underlying message.

#Showtime
                        Well if u want my opinion on something u ought to post a link to the tweet. I have no idea what he or u are talking about.

#lametime
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm semi-retired, but here you go posting some inane Alabama nonsense. I guess you like slam dunks - but don't like to try basketball shots from a distance.

which side are you on?

(((Rep. Nadler)))
                          @RepJerryNadler

#Showtime
                          How many times does it have to be said that being anti Israel is not being anti sematic
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            Well if u want my opinion on something u ought to post a link to the tweet. I have no idea what he or u are talking about.

#lametime
                            Representatives Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib shared a cartoon by a finalist of Iran's annual Holocaust cartoon contest.

The biggest problem seems to be this cartoonist's past history of over-the-top anti-Semitism (a finalist in the Iranian government's trollish Holocaust cartoon contest), but even in this particular cartoon, I'm troubled by the central placement of the Star of David. It would be different if, say, they put an Israeli flag on Netanyahu's arm and a US flag on Trump's arm to make it easier for readers to know who was being depicted, but a Star of David in the middle of the cartoon could be and perhaps was intended to assign both Netanyahu's and Trump's political attacks on Tlaib and Omar as connected to Judaism.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              https://forward.com/fast-forward/429...t-cartoon-bds/

The biggest problem seems to be this cartoonist's past history of over-the-top anti-Semitism (a finalist in the Iranian government's trollish Holocaust cartoon contest), but even in this particular cartoon, I'm troubled by the central placement of the Star of David. It would be different if, say, they put an Israeli flag on Netanyahu's arm and a US flag on Trump's arm to make it easier for readers to know who was being depicted, but a Star of David in the middle of the cartoon could be and perhaps was intended to assign both Netanyahu's and Trump's political attacks on Tlaib and Omar as connected to Judaism.
                              The coloring of the sleeve is supposed to be the upper and lower lines of the flag making the placement of the star accurate in the cartoon being representative of Israel (its fla) rather than Judaism. But I could see how it could have and underlying connotation of condemning trump and nutenyahoos efforts to stifle and defame both these women simply because they don't agree with Israeli politics and the United States support of them.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

which side are you on?

(((Rep. Nadler)))
                                @RepJerryNadler

#Showtime
                                So it appears a cartoon was made regarding the congresswomen being banned from Israel. And they retweeted it, not really surprising since it was about them and supported them. I saw nothing vile or hateful when I looked at the cartoon. It was discussed by others here. Not really a big deal from what I can see. Nadler wants to link their re-tweeting of a cartoon about them to vile anti-Semitism. I think that is ridiculous, but also not that surprising, politicians and others like to do this sort of thing. I don't agree with him at all on what he is trying to do here, and suspect I wouldn't agree with him on a lot of things. And I'd be happy to point that out any time someone wants to call him out. So I'm not really sure what you are getting at or what the big "gotcha" is here.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X