Ilhan Omar controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ilhan Omar controversy

Anyone been following this situation ? Curious what people think. I've seen a ton of comments on twitter.

---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Insanity is Democratic leadership declining to bring Steve King's comments that he "doesn't see what's so wrong with white nationalism or white supremacy" up for a censure vote... but they attack Omar for being anti-Semitic.

I love the way it played out so far. They realized they couldn't win a censure with Bernie (future first Jewish POTUS) & AOC supporting Omar, so they downgraded it to a "resolution", they decided to include "anti-Muslim" in the resolution, and they decided not to mention Omar by name. Typical weak-ass whiners.

This is the only time in history I will use Geraldo Rivera as a source of common sense. Posted on twitter: "Congress' more ethnically diverse than ever. There're now 2 Muslim women members, including a Palestinian-American. Is it really so curious or offensive that they've a different take on Palestine? Charges of Anti-Semitism ring hollow when invoked to quash all criticism of Israel."
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Of course, there has been a long history of insidious and dangerous conspiracy theories about Jews that we must be aware of and cautious about playing into, but at the same time, it seems unfair to assume that intent given the language used by Omar. Perhaps, given the context, she should have prefaced her comments with a clear acknowledgment of these issues and clarification that she was not playing into antisemitism in her attempt to criticize Israel (a country and its policies rather than a people or religion). I think Bernie Sanders is right when he makes the point that we cannot use the real and horrible antisemitism that exists as a shield to any and all criticism of Israel.

Comment

I have found it hard to actually find Omar's comments that are supposed to be so inflammatory or anti-Semitic. If what she's saying is that she questions sometimes whether AIPAC is actually lobbying for the best interests of the United States or the best interests of Israel when the two conflict (which they sometimes do), then I agree with her. But I haven't actually seen a transcript of what she said that was supposedly anti-Semitic.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          I have found it hard to actually find Omar's comments that are supposed to be so inflammatory or anti-Semitic. If what she's saying is that she questions sometimes whether AIPAC is actually lobbying for the best interests of the United States or the best interests of Israel when the two conflict (which they sometimes do), then I agree with her. But I haven't actually seen a transcript of what she said that was supposedly anti-Semitic.
          The controversy, as explained by Vox - https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-semitism-jews:

Originally posted by Vox
          In 2012, she tweeted that “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel.” The tweet implied that Israel and its supporters were secretly tricking the world into supporting it, a longtime anti-Semitic trope for which Omar apologized after taking office in January.

“I heard from Jewish orgs. that my use of the word ‘hypnotize’ and the ugly sentiment it holds was offensive,” she tweeted. “I spent ... little energy [in] disavowing the anti-Semitic trope I unknowingly used, which is unfortunate and offensive.”

In mid-February, Omar created another stir when she tweeted that support for Israel in the US Congress was “all about the Benjamins,” suggesting that the pro-Israel lobby AIPAC was buying off American politicians. This smacked of the well-worn conspiracy theory that Jewish financiers buy off American politicians, and led to Democratic leadership publicly condemning Omar’s comments.

Omar deleted the original tweet and said she “unequivocally” apologized. And for a few weeks, that seemed to settle the matter. But then, at the panel with Tlaib last Wednesday, Omar tried to address her anti-Semitism problem again. And that’s when things went south.

Omar’s remarks at the panel did acknowledge, to be clear, that it’s important to be sensitive when Jews take offense at her comments. But she also suggests that being Muslim leads to the assumption of anti-Semitism, and that the accusation is used as a label to shut down debate.

Then she concludes with the instantly infamous comments about “allegiance” to Israel. Here’s the full quote:

What I’m fearful of — because Rashida [Tlaib] and I are Muslim — that a lot of our Jewish colleagues, a lot of our constituents, a lot of our allies, go to thinking that everything we say about Israel to be anti-Semitic because we are Muslim. And so to me, it’s something that becomes designed to end the debate because you get in this space of — yes, I know what intolerance looks like and I’m sensitive when someone says, “The words you used, Ilhan, are resemblance [sic] of intolerance.” And I am cautious of that and I feel pained by that.

But it’s almost as if, every single time we say something regardless of what it is we say that is supposed to be about foreign policy or engagement or advocacy about ending oppression or the freeing of every human life and wanting dignity, we get to be labeled something, and that ends the discussion. Because we end up defending that and nobody ever gets to have the broader debate of what is happening with Palestine. So for me, I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is okay for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I've been fighting many members of my extended family on this one. I think Rep. Omar's critiques aimed at Israeli policies and actions, America's policies vis-à-vis Israel, and AIPAC's lobbying influence over American politicians and policy, have not crossed a line into anti-Semitism, despite that I think she stumbled into language that could fuel anti-Semitism. She took accountability for that in a fair and reasonable way without withdrawing her concerns about AIPAC and its sway on America's policies vis-à-vis Israel. Do I agree with her on BDS? Absolutely not. Do I believe that American politicians are so hypnotized by AIPAC contributions and advocacy that they can't make intelligent policy decisions about America's relationship with Israel? Not to the extent she seems to, no, although I think they've been an effective lobby and certainly have influenced policy. But the differences of opinion between Rep. Omar and myself don't remotely lend themselves to me thinking that she's engaged in anti-Semitism or that she should face a demand for her resignation or a formal legislative censure or a stripping of her committee assignments, let alone the hateful rhetoric and death threats she's received from some quarters.

Comment

Thanks. Appreciate the explanation, guys.

I get far more concerned about the blind loyalty of evangelical Christians to the state of Israel and to hard-liners like Netanyahu in Israel at the expense of justice for Palestinians than I do about any supposed Jewish power cabal in Washington.

Actually taking the time of Congress to debate a formal censure of Omar seems ridiculous.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                I've been fighting many members of my extended family on this one. I think Rep. Omar's critiques aimed at Israeli policies and actions, America's policies vis-à-vis Israel, and AIPAC's lobbying influence over American politicians and policy, have not crossed a line into anti-Semitism, despite that I think she stumbled into language that could fuel anti-Semitism. She took accountability for that in a fair and reasonable way without withdrawing her concerns about AIPAC and its sway on America's policies vis-à-vis Israel. Do I agree with her on BDS? Absolutely not. Do I believe that American politicians are so hypnotized by AIPAC contributions and advocacy that they can't make intelligent policy decisions about America's relationship with Israel? Not to the extent she seems to, no, although I think they've been an effective lobby and certainly have influenced policy. But the differences of opinion between Rep. Omar and myself don't remotely lend themselves to me thinking that she's engaged in anti-Semitism or that she should face a demand for her resignation or a formal legislative censure or a stripping of her committee assignments, let alone the hateful rhetoric and death threats she's received from some quarters.
                Thanks for sharing this. I agree with just about everything you wrote.
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  Very well said -- thanks. It's a complex and nuanced issue and it's important to remember that anti-semitism is somewhat unique amongst hate in that it always has and continues to thrives on conspiracy theories. We saw this at play recently with the Soros stuff. For this reason, many Jews get (understandably) very touchy and scared when language or insinuations -- especially mainstream ones -- have the potential to ignite some of these theories or spark new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                    Very well said -- thanks. It's a complex and nuanced issue and it's important to remember that anti-semitism is somewhat unique amongst hate in that it always has and continues to thrives on conspiracy theories. We saw this at play recently with the Soros stuff. For this reason, many Jews get (understandably) very touchy and scared when language or insinuations -- especially mainstream ones -- have the potential to ignite some of these theories or spark new ones.
                    Thanks. I agree that the complexity and nuance in the context of global and historical anti-Semitism is important to the discussion as well, which is why this is such a tough one for my Jewish family and friends with a lot of debate and frustration along the way. If my father-in-law could have jumped through the computer from Florida to try to shake some sense into me today as six of us exchanged links and arguments about this, he would have.

Comment

I don't know if this adds to the discussion, but her is an article from the St. Paul Pioneer Press: https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/0...ed-them-again/

This quote is from one of the Jewish leaders here in the Twin Cities
                      “Our community is exasperated by Rep. Omar’s unfulfilled promises to listen and learn from Jewish constituents while seemingly simultaneously finding another opportunity to make an anti-Semitic remark and insult our community,” he said. “The JCRC is supportive of a robust conversation about Israel’s policies, campaign finance reform, and other topics of national and international importance. However, our political discourse must quickly evolve to be able to hold these conversations without using age-old stereotypes about minority communities.”
                      Omar is in a very interesting district. She has the largest population of Somalians in the U.S. and a very large population of Jewish-Americans. In a district that has a high concentration of Muslims and Jews, she hasn't, IMO, done a very skilled job in representing her full constituency.

Omar is a very green politician. She served only two years in the MN Legislature before moving on to Congress.

Another thought here, and maybe a bigger topic, but with so many people putting, for lack of a better term, a qualifier on their American heritage is it any wonder people question their allegiance? It's not just those with Jewish heritage. Perhaps if everyone stopped trying to qualify themselves and just say, "I'm an American." there might not be so many people questioning what someone is saying and what might be behind the statement.
                      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                        I don't know if this adds to the discussion, but her is an article from the St. Paul Pioneer Press: https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/0...ed-them-again/

This quote is from one of the Jewish leaders here in the Twin Cities

Omar is in a very interesting district. She has the largest population of Somalians in the U.S. and a very large population of Jewish-Americans. In a district that has a high concentration of Muslims and Jews, she hasn't, IMO, done a very skilled job in representing her full constituency.

Omar is a very green politician. She served only two years in the MN Legislature before moving on to Congress.

Another thought here, and maybe a bigger topic, but with so many people putting, for lack of a better term, a qualifier on their American heritage is it any wonder people question their allegiance? It's not just those with Jewish heritage. Perhaps if everyone stopped trying to qualify themselves and just say, "I'm an American." there might not be so many people questioning what someone is saying and what might be behind the statement.
                        I've tried to find a transcript of the entire event that set off the most recent uproar. Below is the largest section I could find. The part in bold was the section that was called out as controversial in several articles I saw. It was specifically mentioned in the article you linked above. Anyway, if anyone find a complete transcript please post a link.

“But it’s almost as if every single time we say something, regardless of what it is we say… we get to be labeled in something… and nobody ever gets to have the broader debate of ‘what is happening with Palestine?’ So for me, I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country. I want to ask, why is it OK for me to talk about the influence of the NRA, of fossil-fuel industries, or Big Pharma, and not talk about a powerful lobby that is influencing policy…”
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

There are few things worse than being falsely called bigoted, of whatever flavor. It's something that should be done with great reluctance. Instead, everything is suddenly suspect. She's not anti-semetic any more than Trump is racist.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            There are few things worse than being falsely called bigoted, of whatever flavor. It's something that should be done with great reluctance. Instead, everything is suddenly suspect. She's not anti-semetic any more than Trump is racist.

J
                            You had to equate the two, didn't you? I'm sure Omar would take as much offense at that as I do. Trump is racist, and panders to racists, and refuses to denounce or even acknowledge knowing racists.

I've outlined the evidence before, so will only leave this link that outlines many examples: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...mp-racist.html

It is a long list spanning many years and involving many witnesses, including the federal government, but I'm sure that all the evidence is a conspiracy decades in the making to tarnish the image of a good and honorable man who is clearly above reproach. I'm sure even his own public pronouncements are deniable to you, like his quick condemnation of people of color even when they are exonerated by DNA evidence, while believing anything Russian oligarchs and Saudi princes tell him. I'm sure it was a coincidence too that he was a leading voice calling Obama foreign born and not belonging in the White House. There are dozens of others examples, if you want to bother to examine them with an open mind that I think would be hard for you to defend, but at this point, I realize there is no changing the mind of a Trump defender on this or many other issues.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-07-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I believe this is the complete transcript

George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X