Inheriting an AL only team and need to select keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheriting an AL only team and need to select keepers

It's a 5x5 AL only with OBP instead of AVG and HD instead of WHIP. Two utility slots, one catcher. Nine pitchers, at least four of which must be SPs. $280 budget, but if you want to extend anyone's contract, you have to save that money ($3 per extension year) during the auction. To the extent that the prior owner of my team had given contract extensions, I'm either compelled to honor them or to cut them and sacrifice half of their 2019 salary against my auction budget. I can keep up to 10 guys.

Pre-Extended

Judge $8 ($13 2020)
    Lindor $18
    Mazara $13
    Bradley $18
    Sano $18

So on these guys, my instinct is that it is better to keep Bradley and Sano at $18 each rather than cutting either one and forfeiting $9 of auction budget, because I think they're each worth at least $9 in AL only, particularly with expected inflation. Do y'all agree?

Additional Potential Keepers

Piscotty $22
    R.Guzman $1

Giles $29
    Betances $10
    McHugh $1
    W.Peralta $1
    Yarbrough $1

Nothing super exciting here, although I think in a HD/SV/K league where there's temptation to carry at least four relievers, Betances is very valuable because of his Ks. McHugh is probably also a no brainer at $1 and potentially worthy of holding back $3 of auction money as a keeper. I think Guzman, Peralta and Yarbrough are probably keepable, too, with no real need to plan on extending.

Although I'll need a closer, I don't think Giles at $29 is worth keeping. I assume I can get someone as good or better for $29 or less at auction.

Piscotty is maybe worth $22 with inflation, no? Just not sure I want to go in with four OF keepers and thus limited opportunity to pounce on a bargain or a higher upside player.

Who is Bradley? Zimmer?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      Who is Bradley? Zimmer?
      Jackie

Comment

Judge
        Lindor
        Mazara
        Bradley - I agree with what you posted, easy keep considering he costs you $9 after sunk costs
        Sano - borderline due to injury but I'd still keep

Piscotty
        R.Guzman - you said probably keepable, I think this undersells him, he's an auto keep at $1 for me in AL only
        Betances - with holds and saves on equal footing, he's one of the top RP available
        McHugh - can you keep him as a SP or just RP? Either way you are keeping him at $1
        W.Peralta

Comment

Judge $8 ($13 2020)
          Lindor $18
          Mazara $13
          Bradley $18
          Sano $18

So on these guys, my instinct is that it is better to keep Bradley and Sano at $18 each rather than cutting either one and forfeiting $9 of auction budget, because I think they're each worth at least $9 in AL only, particularly with expected inflation. Do y'all agree?

I do agree with this and would do the same if it were my team.

Can you get Betances the same or cheaper at auction? I think I would toss him back.

As far as Giles goes, it would seem like you could do better for the money. What are some of the other prices of closers in this league? Were any of the pricey ones kept going into last year their second season?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Can you get Betances the same or cheaper at auction? I think I would toss him back.
            He wouldn't get him cheaper if I'm in that league. With holds as its own category IMO you should treat him just like an elite closer. For $10, I think that's a safe keep personally.

Comment

I really hate that format, HD instead of WHIP.

I'm in a SV + HD instead of SV format AL only league and I feel like it doesn't affect reliever pricing nearly as much as this format. With SV and HD separate categories, an elite setup guy is exactly as equal as an elite closer. Therefore, Betances is a must keep.

Drop Giles for sure. After that, probably drop Peralta or Piscotty. I don't mind Piscotty at that price, but nothing special.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                He wouldn't get him cheaper if I'm in that league. With holds as its own category IMO you should treat him just like an elite closer. For $10, I think that's a safe keep personally.
                That's how I see it, which almost makes Peralta a no-brainer at $1 as well, I'd think, although the Royals presumably won't win as many games.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  That's how I see it, which almost makes Peralta a no-brainer at $1 as well, I'd think, although the Royals presumably won't win as many games.
                  The difference is, Peralta isn't very good, aside from playing for a basement dweller. I could be wrong, havent looked at Peralta up close lately.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

As far as Giles goes, it would seem like you could do better for the money. What are some of the other prices of closers in this league? Were any of the pricey ones kept going into last year their second season?
                    Interestingly, Betances went for $25 in 2017, was tossed back and went for $10 in 2018. I doubt I'd get him cheaper at auction this year.

As for closers, a lot were kept. Here are the ones that were bought at auction.

In 2017:

Chapman 35
                    Kimbrel 31
                    Allen 29
                    Robertson 28
                    Herrera 28
                    K-Rod 25
                    Dyson 21

In 2018:

Allen 33
                    Chapman 31
                    Giles 29
                    Treinen 21

All the other closers had already been kept in those prior years. So I don't know. Thankfully, they have a scheduled roll out of keeper announcements and as the new guy I get to announce last, so I can see which closers will be available before I finalize my keeper list. I know that at least Osuna, Givens, Boxberger, Hand, Strickland, May and Parker will be available, because they're either unowned or expiring. Treinen, Barnes, Alvarado and Greene will almost certainly be kept. Chapman, Allen, Giles and Colome (and Kimbrel if he signs in the AL before the auction) are all debatable at their keeper price.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      I can see your point. And he may be worth it. It just seems to me that holds is harder to project than saves. That is why I asked the question on how the league sees his value.

Comment

Interestingly, Betances went for $25 in 2017, was tossed back and went for $10 in 2018. I doubt I'd get him cheaper at auction this year.

As for closers, a lot were kept. Here are the ones that were bought at auction.

In 2017:

Chapman 35
                        Kimbrel 31
                        Allen 29
                        Robertson 28
                        Herrera 28
                        K-Rod 25
                        Dyson 21

In 2018:

Allen 33
                        Chapman 31
                        Giles 29
                        Treinen 21

All the other closers had already been kept in those prior years. So I don't know. Thankfully, they have a scheduled roll out of keeper announcements and as the new guy I get to announce last, so I can see which closers will be available before I finalize my keeper list. I know that at least Osuna, Givens, Boxberger, Hand, Strickland, May and Parker will be available, because they're either unowned or expiring. Treinen, Barnes, Alvarado and Greene will almost certainly be kept. Chapman, Allen, Giles and Colome (and Kimbrel if he signs in the AL before the auction) are all debatable at their keeper price.
                        I would rather have Osuna and/or Hand than Giles. I can see why Giles went for 29 last year, but this is not last year. I agree with you that he should be dropped.

Comment

I can see your point. And he may be worth it. It just seems to me that holds is harder to project than saves. That is why I asked the question on how the league sees his value.
                          It's probably harder to project in most bullpens, but not so hard to project for the Yankees.

Comment

It's probably harder to project in most bullpens, but not so hard to project for the Yankees.
                            How many do you project?

Do we have an over and under?

Comment

How many do you project?

Do we have an over and under?
                              I'd project around 20-25 holds and 4-6 saves for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X