Keeper konundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeper konundrum

Misspelled for alliteration. I'm tricky. Anyway, We get THREE keepers, no $$, just in the rounds they were drafted the year before (long as they were drafted after the 10th round, so 11th-24th). Here are the keeper eligible guys and how many years we can keep them/rounds (note: free agents can be kept as last rounders, which is why you'll see multiple players with 24th round keeper status...so, if we keep three free agents they'd be our 22nd, 23rd, 24th round picks):

Vlad Jr. is a lock: 24th round, can be kept this year and next. No brainer. So, guess question is who are your fave TWO out of....

• F.Tatis Jr: 24th round. When he'll be up is the question, if we keep him & he stays down a la Vlad last year, we burn a bench spot all season. But A-1 stud ceiling.

• N.Senzel: 24th round, also eligible 3B, 2B. Will he break camp with Big club?

• J.Profar:24th round, eligible 1B, 2B, SS, 3B. Seemed to figure it out last year. Will shift to OAK hurt him? Better offense, at least, worse park.

• F.Mejia: 24th round. Could be an elite C, but could also spend whole year in minors.

• J.Villar: 24th round. 2B/SS eligible, and has elite speed, and SB are likely a premium again. Flashes sneaky power, too, will get full-time at-bats on bad Orioles squad.

• Kyle Tucker: 24th round. Was higher on him earlier, now he's fading.

• H.Renfroe: 24th round. Raw power. Could hit 35 HR, but power is easier to find.

• Tyler White: 24th round. Ditto on power.

• J.LeClerc: 24th round. Yeah, a closer, always risky, but he was lights-out and should run away with that gig again.

• Brendan Rodgers: 24th round. Probably still a year-plus away, yeah?

• F.Whitley: 24th round. Not likely to make the Big club. Hate to burn a roster spot on an arm, and is he for real or another Lucas Giolito?

• R.Odor: 24h round. Had good second half, could go 15-15 or even 20-20 is planets align, but nothing super inspiring.

Thoughts? Thanks!
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

How many bench spots do you have? One or two catchers?

Adding OBP devalues SB a bit and hurts Villar some. Similarly adding QS devalues SV a bit and hurts LeClerc, there's no way I'd keep him. I'd probably keep Tatis/Profar but would consider Villar anyway or Whitley.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Senzel & Tatis.

Comment

I'd keep Villar, his OBP is not that bad...2 years ago sucked, but he's had a .369 and a couple in the .330 range. If you can compete this year, Odor, if not, Tatis.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

I doubt that you plan on punting saves and stolen bases. So, why not get them cheap?

Vlad
          Villar
          LeClerc
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            How many bench spots do you have? One or two catchers?

Adding OBP devalues SB a bit and hurts Villar some. Similarly adding QS devalues SV a bit and hurts LeClerc, there's no way I'd keep him. I'd probably keep Tatis/Profar but would consider Villar anyway or Whitley.
            Five bench spots. One catcher.

C- J.McCann
            1B-Cron
            2B- Villar
            SS- Andrus
            3B-Baez
            MI-L. Gurriel
            CI- Y.Gurriel
            UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              I doubt that you plan on punting saves and stolen bases. So, why not get them cheap?

Vlad
              Villar
              LeClerc
              Nope, you're right, not punting SB or SV.

C- J.McCann
              1B-Cron
              2B- Villar
              SS- Andrus
              3B-Baez
              MI-L. Gurriel
              CI- Y.Gurriel
              UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Villar and Tatis for me.

I like the idea of a cheap closer, but with so few keepers and the volatility of closers I just couldn't use the Tatis spot for that.

Comment

I really like Senzel. But if you keep Tatis, is he a 24th rounder forever? I also really like Villar. My gut would be Tatis and Villar.

Comment

If for this year, go Senzel and Villar. If it is more or a long term play, Tatis and Senzel. And you weren't kidding about there being a few 24th round possibilities. What happened to everyone you actually drafted last year?

Comment

Another vote for Tatis and Villar.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Depends how long you can keep them. If it's fairly short-term then I'd go Villar and Leclerc but if it's beyond 2020 then Villar and Tatis.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          I really like Senzel. But if you keep Tatis, is he a 24th rounder forever? I also really like Villar. My gut would be Tatis and Villar.
                          Not forever, we can only keep for two years, but yes he'd be a 24th rounder for this year and next. Then he goes back into the pool and will be a likely early rounder for the rest of his career.

C- J.McCann
                          1B-Cron
                          2B- Villar
                          SS- Andrus
                          3B-Baez
                          MI-L. Gurriel
                          CI- Y.Gurriel
                          UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            If for this year, go Senzel and Villar. If it is more or a long term play, Tatis and Senzel. And you weren't kidding about there being a few 24th round possibilities. What happened to everyone you actually drafted last year?
                            Ha, well, we dropped some non-keepable dead weight down the stretch & made some FA pickups who wouldn't sniff the Bigs in 2018, but could be viable in 2019 & 2020. And, we also traded some non-keeper bats for non-keeper arms (Scherzer, Charlie Morton) down the stretch because we needed SP help (offense as doing well), and guys like Profar/Odor/Tyler White/Renfroe/Villar stepped up & held down the fort in a few categories and made some bigger-name bats we drafted semi-expendable.

C- J.McCann
                            1B-Cron
                            2B- Villar
                            SS- Andrus
                            3B-Baez
                            MI-L. Gurriel
                            CI- Y.Gurriel
                            UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                              Depends how long you can keep them. If it's fairly short-term then I'd go Villar and Leclerc but if it's beyond 2020 then Villar and Tatis.
                              Just this year and next.

C- J.McCann
                              1B-Cron
                              2B- Villar
                              SS- Andrus
                              3B-Baez
                              MI-L. Gurriel
                              CI- Y.Gurriel
                              UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Working...
                              X