Severino getting an MRI, to miss Opening Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severino getting an MRI, to miss Opening Day

Rotator cuff inflammation in right shoulder.

Yankees pitcher Luis Severino will not be ready for Opening Day after an MRI revealed rotator cuff inflammation. He will be treated with anti-inflammatories and resume a throwing program in two weeks.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Rotoworld saying he's likely to miss all of April.

Comment

They've announced he's being shut down for two weeks, which means he basically starts spring training over around March 20th in a best case scenario, so around May 1st sounds about right.

Comment

Andujar for Bumgarner or Greinke if this turns into a long-term issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
          Andujar for Bumgarner or Greinke if this turns into a long-term issue.
          No way Greinke will be able to exist in NY....

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
            Yeah, talk about snowflakes...........
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
              I am pretty sure he has pitched in New York City before and actually was able to exist. It is not like New York is this crazy, different place or more special than anywhere else in the world.

Comment

I'm ruthless against star SPs with arm issues (ok, except for Kershaw), but are there any like Severino who wind up indeed returning May 1 and then never missing a beat? I may be missing an opportunity here.

this is separate from the keeper league angle of eating the season to prosper either at the trade deadline with a future discount on a stud, or just keeping him.

Bumgarner went for 21 in my league last year on that premise, for example.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  I am pretty sure he has pitched in New York City before and actually was able to exist. It is not like New York is this crazy, different place or more special than anywhere else in the world.
                  paging Bob Kohm
                  --------------------------------------
                  You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    He has anxiety issues and had the Yanks on his No-Trade list. Pitching as a visitor in NY and being a member of the Yanks are absolutely two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      He has anxiety issues and had the Yanks on his No-Trade list. Pitching as a visitor in NY and being a member of the Yanks are absolutely two different things.
                      It is sad that baseball has come to this. But in many ways it has. I mean, crap, everyone loves the off-season moves by the Mets, which just had their new GM get a bunch of his old clients. Sheez.

Comment

the "it's too hard for most to handle NY media" angle often is way overplayed.

but as Revo notes, Greinke is not the shining example of deciding to ignore the possible issue - and that's not a knock on Greinke at all. he just doesn't seem like a potential fit. he didn't just toss darts and put the Yankees on his list - and it's not like he excluded them because he doubts they will be competitive (he was a youngster the last time the Yankees had a losing season in 1992).

I mean, Giancarlo Stanton continues to be almost Public Enemy No. 1 these days on NYC talk radio because he didn't hit well in the postseason, and the tabloids will be zeroing in on that again this month.

and I have no idea what the Mets have to do with any of this.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Agreed. It wouldn't be in the best interests of either Zack or the Yanks for him to be asked to step in and replace Severino. Recipe for disaster all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            the "it's too hard for most to handle NY media" angle often is way overplayed.

but as Revo notes, Greinke is not the shining example of deciding to ignore the possible issue - and that's not a knock on Greinke at all. he just doesn't seem like a potential fit. he didn't just toss darts and put the Yankees on his list - and it's not like he excluded them because he doubts they will be competitive (he was a youngster the last time the Yankees had a losing season in 1992).

I mean, Giancarlo Stanton continues to be almost Public Enemy No. 1 these days on NYC talk radio because he didn't hit well in the postseason, and the tabloids will be zeroing in on that again this month.

and I have no idea what the Mets have to do with any of this.
                            Hey, maybe he just doesn't like the Yankees and doesn't want to pitch for a team he doesn't like. As for what the Mets had to do with this was the comments about the NYC media being what they are. The Mets, last I checked, did still exist and happen to be in NYC.

Comment

Hey just fyi, not to hijack this Zack Greinke thread, from most reports, it sounds like Severino dodged a bit of a bullet here.

Comment

Working...
                              X