Vlad Jr. Dynasty Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vlad Jr. Dynasty Value

I'm in a no salary, keep forever, dynasty league. Was offered Vlad Jr. for Buehler/G Torres. My gut instinct is no...especially after reading the other thread that referenced some other players with amazing minors stats. Anyone that would make the deal ?

Edit: Head to head league, standard hitting and pitching categories. Keep as many players as you want forever, no salary.
    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-04-2019, 03:03 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Man, that is a tough one. My first question is, how many keepers? If it is like 5 or less, I'd always trade for the best keeper in the deal. Concentration of talent would be key. If, like your league, you keep 15, well, that changes things. Of course, your point about proven talent vs unproven talent is an issue too, but if you are going to gamble on any prospect, Vlad Jr is the one to place your bet on. So, my answer would be--few keepers, take the deal ans Vlad has the most dynasty potential. More keepers, I'd hold the two known quantities, especially since Buehler has true ace upside.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      I'm in a no salary, keep forever, dynasty league. Was offered Vlad Jr. for Buehler/G Torres. My gut instinct is no...especially after reading the other thread that referenced some other players with amazing minors stats. Anyone that would make the deal ?
      Depends on the format...I'm in a points dynasty league where starters accumulate many more points than position players. So in that league I may make the deal. In a traditional 5x5, probably not...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Depends on the format...I'm in a points dynasty league where starters accumulate many more points than position players. So in that league I may make the deal. In a traditional 5x5, probably not...
        Ahhhh yes. It is a head to head league. More or less standard five categories for hitting/pitching
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Man, that is a tough one. My first question is, how many keepers? If it is like 5 or less, I'd always trade for the best keeper in the deal. Concentration of talent would be key. If, like your league, you keep 15, well, that changes things. Of course, your point about proven talent vs unproven talent is an issue too, but if you are going to gamble on any prospect, Vlad Jr is the one to place your bet on. So, my answer would be--few keepers, take the deal ans Vlad has the most dynasty potential. More keepers, I'd hold the two known quantities, especially since Buehler has true ace upside.
          Keep as many as you like forever.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Added some parameters. I'm tending toward what you say in your last sentence. But Vlad has so much potential it might make for an interesting topic of discussion
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Keep as many as you like forever.
              As many as you like forever makes this interesting. In this case, it really is asking yourself--is Vlad more valuable than both Torres and Buehler. That isn't always the right question with limited keepers. IDK then. I guess I'd keep the known quantities in that case.

How many players are usually kept year-to-year? Do you have a number you usually keep? Who would Torres be replacing as a keeper? If you had Vlad Jr. would you keep someone else in place of Torres? If so, the right way to look at it would be to say, do I want Vlad plus X or Buehler plus Torres?

Comment

As many as you like forever makes this interesting. In this case, it really is asking yourself--is Vlad more valuable than both Torres and Buehler. That isn't always the right question with limited keepers. IDK then. I guess I'd keep the known quantities in that case.

How many players are usually kept year-to-year? Do you have a number you usually keep? Who would Torres be replacing as a keeper? If you had Vlad Jr. would you keep someone else in place of Torres? If so, the right way to look at it would be to say, do I want Vlad plus X or Buehler plus Torres?
                Pretty much everyone keeps a full roster of 30 in a league with 10 teams. So Vlad plus maybe a top 50 rookie from the rookie draft vs. Buehler/Torres. One thing that jumps out is I'm giving up a lot for this year, unless Vlad is much better than avg right away. Appreciate the inputs
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Pretty much everyone keeps a full roster of 30 in a league with 10 teams. So Vlad plus maybe a top 50 rookie from the rookie draft vs. Buehler/Torres. One thing that jumps out is I'm giving up a lot for this year, unless Vlad is much better than avg right away. Appreciate the inputs
                  Yeah, that is certainly a factor. If you want to win this year, it doesn't make much sense, although in a dynasty, it is hard to ignore that 10-15 years after this year that are to be considered. In a 10 teamer, I'm leaning back toward Vlad Jr. I feel like you can find a 30th keeper that is pretty good in that league, so it is Vlad plus that 30th keeper vs Walker and Torres. IDK. It is a tough call. I guess if I felt confident I'd content in 2019, that would be the tie breaker for me for this deal. But man, passing on Vlad at any price in a 10 teamer....IDK if I could say no. My waffling isn't helping is it?

Comment

Yeah, that is certainly a factor. If you want to win this year, it doesn't make much sense, although in a dynasty, it is hard to ignore that 10-15 years after this year that are to be considered. In a 10 teamer, I'm leaning back toward Vlad Jr. I feel like you can find a 30th keeper that is pretty good in that league, so it is Vlad plus that 30th keeper vs Walker and Torres. IDK. It is a tough call. I guess if I felt confident I'd content in 2019, that would be the tie breaker for me for this deal. But man, passing on Vlad at any price in a 10 teamer....IDK if I could say no. My waffling isn't helping is it?
                    Well your confirming that it is an interesting proposal. I'll have to give it more thought
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I worry Vlad is Prince Fielder v2.0. As a Jays fan the parallels are numerous. Vlad has a higher ceiling but I expect him to fall off a cliff by his early 30s. He's already a big boy.

I think with his upside Vlad + X > Torres + Buehler but it's close. I couldn't fault you either way.

Gun to my head I go with Vlad.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                        I worry Vlad is Prince Fielder v2.0. As a Jays fan the parallels are numerous. Vlad has a higher ceiling but I expect him to fall off a cliff by his early 30s. He's already a big boy.

I think with his upside Vlad + X > Torres + Buehler but it's close. I couldn't fault you either way.

Gun to my head I go with Vlad.
                        I worry about Vlad's weight as well.

Vlad is the shinny new toy. And Gleyber is no longer. But Torres is a fine keeper and oh so young.

I really would overpay for Vlad, but this is too much. I can't believe I am going write this... I would pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          I worry about Vlad's weight as well.

Vlad is the shinny new toy. And Gleyber is no longer. But Torres is a fine keeper and oh so young.

I really would overpay for Vlad, but this is too much. I can't believe I am going write this... I would pass.
                          Yeah. I rejected the offer. May try to counter with something else
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I would have taken Vlad. His upside, which he has a decent shot of reaching, is Miggy. Torres is a nice player, but doesn't have that kind of upside. Buehler has as much risk as Vlad, given that he is a pitcher. Even if you are going for it this year, Vlad comes up and has a good week and you get far more for him than Torres and Buehler.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              I would have taken Vlad. His upside, which he has a decent shot of reaching, is Miggy. Torres is a nice player, but doesn't have that kind of upside. Buehler has as much risk as Vlad, given that he is a pitcher. Even if you are going for it this year, Vlad comes up and has a good week and you get far more for him than Torres and Buehler.
                              Yeah, I've had those thoughts as well. I doubt he is going to move Vlad right away so the possibility is still out there.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X