No announcement yet.

Vlad Jr. Dynasty Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in keep forever i shoot the moon and go Vlad.

btw dracula untold is a good vampire flick.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
      in keep forever i shoot the moon and go Vlad.

btw dracula untold is a good vampire flick.
      Thanks ! I like the bonus movie recommendation at no extra charge !!
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        I would have taken Vlad. His upside, which he has a decent shot of reaching, is Miggy. Torres is a nice player, but doesn't have that kind of upside. Buehler has as much risk as Vlad, given that he is a pitcher. Even if you are going for it this year, Vlad comes up and has a good week and you get far more for him than Torres and Buehler.
        That is an excellent and overlooked point I always try to remind myself of. If you are in a league that allows trades, it is important to not only evaluate what you think a player will be, but what others think of that player. You are right--rarely have I seen a prospect as hyped as Vlad Jr. It would be a gamble, but if you did trade for him, if/when he came up, if he happened to start off hot, the sky is the limit on his trade value. Of course, Torres and Buehler are birds in the hand, so I get passing. But it is hard to overestimate just how much of a shiny new toy Vlad is to most people. It would be tempting for me to trad for him, even if I didn't fully believe he'd live up to all the expectations, just because, if I thought I could flip him for even more than I'm giving.

All that said, it is interesting to me that those commenting so far seem to favor Torres as the key piece you are giving up. I like Torres a lot, but I think the better of the two players you are giving is Buehler. His upside, if he can stay healthy and get the innings is why I was so on the fence with this deal. He is the guy I think you miss more long term if you deal him.

Comment

how often are sons better than their fathers in baseball? than again if Vlad jr is anything close to his dad... you know it just feels right.

there was only one Vlad right? the world could use a second one.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            I worry Vlad is Prince Fielder v2.0. As a Jays fan the parallels are numerous. Vlad has a higher ceiling but I expect him to fall off a cliff by his early 30s. He's already a big boy.

I think with his upside Vlad + X > Torres + Buehler but it's close. I couldn't fault you either way.

Gun to my head I go with Vlad.
            He is a big guy, listed at 6'2" and 250 lbs on milb.com That does concern me long term about how healthy he would stay.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
              how often are sons better than their fathers in baseball? than again if Vlad jr is anything close to his dad... you know it just feels right.

there was only one Vlad right? the world could use a second one.
              Pretty often. Ken Griffy Jr and Barry Bonds come to mind. By all accounts, Vlad Jr is projected to hit even better than his pops. Of course, I'd take senior's career numbers in a heart beat with anyone who wants to put their money where their mouth is on that. That a a really freaking high bar to set, and you never know till it happens how much potential gets translated into results. But yeah, right now, there is universal consensus that Jr is a better prospect than his pops was.

Comment

Vlad is mine. Took G Torres, C Paddack and two first round rookie picks to get him. I've got a ton of rookies on my roster so figured I'd pull the trigger.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  Vlad is mine. Took G Torres, C Paddack and two first round rookie picks to get him. I've got a ton of rookies on my roster so figured I'd pull the trigger.
                  Feels good don't it?

Congrats!

Comment

Went for $31 in my league, most ever for a player with no ML experience (Bryant previous record $26).
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Feels good don't it?

Congrats!
                      Yeah, pretty exciting to have his rights forever. I took over a pretty bad team two years ago, in this format it takes some time to turn things around, but if Vlad can contribute I could do ok this year. Thanks to all for the input and discussion
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I don't know who the first round rookie picks would translate to, and I'm pretty high on Paddack, but even if everything you gave pans out, I don't think you will regret this deal at all. Worst case, he starts off horrid, you panic, I'd bet you can get the return you gave. I'd bet their are a few envious owners out their stewing about their lost chance at acquiring Vlad jr right now.

And good job holding on to Buehler. I'm shocked the other guy blinked and let you swap him out for Paddack and the rookie picks. If the talent pool is just 2018 draftees and international signees, it isn't a great swap out as I don't see anyone truly elite in this draft class.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          I don't know who the first round rookie picks would translate to, and I'm pretty high on Paddack, but even if everything you gave pans out, I don't think you will regret this deal at all. Worst case, he starts off horrid, you panic, I'd bet you can get the return you gave. I'd bet their are a few envious owners out their stewing about their lost chance at acquiring Vlad jr right now.
                          I think 1.02 may be a top 20 pick. 1.06 maybe top 40 or 50, possibly no better than my other rookies.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Now getting offered C Mize and R Devers plus a first round rookie pick for Vlad (keep forever). Rookie pick isn't too valuable, probably a top 100 guy, probably not top 50. So, any thoughts ?

Also looking back to my original trade I'm curious if people like G Torres and Paddack or C Mize and Devers.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Now getting offered C Mize and R Devers plus a first round rookie pick for Vlad (keep forever). Rookie pick isn't too valuable, probably a top 100 guy, probably not top 50. So, any thoughts ?

Also looking back to my original trade I'm curious if people like G Torres and Paddack or C Mize and Devers.
                              That's a nice haul, I think I'd do it. Devers is only 22 and playing like a 1st rounder already.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                That's a nice haul, I think I'd do it. Devers is only 22 and playing like a 1st rounder already.
                                yeah, Devers is looking to be quite the stud ... tough to turn that down. Torres and Paddack is nothing to sneeze at either. and yes, I realize that I'm not really helping ...
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X