• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to keep? 11-team NL-only

5x5 keeper league (OBP instead of BA), $280 budget

Pretty standard setup - 2 catchers, 5 OF, 2 Util, 10 Pitchers

I can keep up to 12 of the following:
    C - Contreras $13/1 year left on his contract so he'll be a free agent after 2020
    1B/OF - Desmond $18/1
    2B - C. Hernandez $17/1 - being an OBP league helps a lot and hopefully the broken foot he suffered was the reason for his 2nd half swoon
    3B - J. Turner $22/1
    3B - Camargo $2/0 - the Donaldson signing was a real bummer but hopefully he can still make it to 400 ABs
    SS - Seager $20/2
    SS - Peraza $15/1
    OF - Juan Soto $5/1
    OF - Markakis $10/1
    OF - Margot $2/0 - probably would've extended his contract if he didn't suck so hard last year
    OF - Austin Dean $5/1 - not sure he'll even make the team so this is assuming he does
    P - Jimmy Nelson $2/0
    P - Doolittle $15/0
    P - DeScalafani $1/1
    P - Jeffress $1/1 - will he get enough saves to make it worth it or are there 12 other guys more worthy of being kept?

Also, I have to decide who my minor league keeper will be. Will any of these guys be worth it or should I look to make a draft before keepers are due?
    Jose Siri
    Isan Diaz
    Cal Quantrill

Thanks!

My 3 drops would be Markakis, Dean, and DeSclafani.

While hardly a sure bet Isan Diaz is semi interesting. Power 2B with an opportunity in Miami later this year. Came over in the Yelich deal and Miami would love to see him at the big league level. He has struggled, somtimes mightily, with contact but if everything clicks he could be a player.

Comment

You obviously need to pick up some power and production - are you more likely to get from the the outfield or the corner in your auction? That might determine who stays and goes. I like Camargo for $2, but you can't have a super-sub gumming up your corner if you need to get 30 HR/100 RBI from that roster spot. Same for Margot - the speed for $2 is nice, but he's looking like a bench player right now, and you can't have him costing you a shot at a 30/100 stud. I think you have to get rid of one or the other, maybe both.

I've never been less enthusiastic about a 20/20 player than I am for Ian Desmond. His swing was an inconsistent mess least year; I'd pass on him for some bonafide pop. Can you peddle him for a decent SP3/SP4 before the auction?

Dean is expendable.

DeScalafani is nothing special. You can get him back for a buck, or probably even someone better.

If Washington signs Kimbrel, then Doolittle becomes an easy cut.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post

C - Contreras $13/1 year left on his contract so he'll be a free agent after 2020*******only if there is no cheaper option at draft--at least he is a good one
        1B/OF - Desmond $18/1******************keep
        2B - C. Hernandez $17/1 - being an OBP league helps a lot and hopefully the broken foot he suffered was the reason for his 2nd half swoon**********keep
        3B - J. Turner $22/1*****************keep
        3B - Camargo $2/0 - the Donaldson signing was a real bummer but hopefully he can still make it to 400 ABs****************no
        SS - Seager $20/2******************keep
        SS - Peraza $15/1*************no
        OF - Juan Soto $5/1****************yeah, I suppose lol
        OF - Markakis $10/1****************has to have value at this number
        OF - Margot $2/0 - probably would've extended his contract if he didn't suck so hard last year*******************at $2, I would give it a try
        OF - Austin Dean $5/1 - not sure he'll even make the team so this is assuming he does**********************no
        P - Jimmy Nelson $2/0*******************priced well, but health questions have to be monitored up until cutdown
        P - Doolittle $15/0*********************Not good when the hot rumor of the day is on Kimbrel to Washington.
        P - DeScalafani $1/1****************no, save the roster place or rebid
        P - Jeffress $1/1 - will he get enough saves to make it worth it or are there 12 other guys more worthy of being kept?**********a $1 closer with only a portion? Everyday.

Also, I have to decide who my minor league keeper will be. Will any of these guys be worth it or should I look to make a draft before keepers are due?
        Jose Siri
        Isan Diaz************
        Cal Quantrill

Thanks!
        I certainly wouldn't try to protect the max 12, but your risk tolerance might be higher than mine. Good luck!
        Bearin' up!

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
          I certainly wouldn't try to protect the max 12, but your risk tolerance might be higher than mine. Good luck!
          Yep. There are too many marginal and part-time contributors who will provide a little bit of value, but will murder his counting stats if he keeps too many of them.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

The Kimbrel news freaked me out until I saw that the Nats don't want to go over the luxury tax threshold so crisis may be averted there.

Camargo was looking like a slam dunk keeper until the Donaldson signing. I already knew my infield keeper list was going to be crowded so trading him or throwing him back will allow a little more flexibility.

As for Margot being a bench player, I now see that Roster Resource has that being the case, but everything I've heard has him as the starting CF (including this article from Gas Lamp Ball - https://www.gaslampball.com/2019/2/2...-jr-mejia-jank). Either way, I don't see how he won't get 400 ABs and if he can just learn how to steal a base he should be good for 20+ with his speed. I might look into trading him as well since he still has some name value.

scottw - kind of interested to hear why you wouldn't want to keep Peraza

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              Yep. There are too many marginal and part-time contributors who will provide a little bit of value, but will murder his counting stats if he keeps too many of them.
              Really? Camargo is the only one I see as being a part-timer besides Dean (who is probably my first cut). This is an 11-team NL-only and most of these guys are pretty cheap, pretty sure my offense is going to be pretty damn good. Pitching? We'll see

Comment

C - Contreras $13/1 year left on his contract so he'll be a free agent after 2020
                1B/OF - Desmond $18/1
                2B - C. Hernandez $17/1 - being an OBP league helps a lot and hopefully the broken foot he suffered was the reason for his 2nd half swoon
                3B - J. Turner $22/1
                3B - Camargo $2/0 - the Donaldson signing was a real bummer but hopefully he can still make it to 400 ABs
                SS - Seager $20/2
                SS - Peraza $15/1
                OF - Juan Soto $5/1
                OF - Markakis $10/1
                OF - Margot $2/0 - probably would've extended his contract if he didn't suck so hard last year
                OF - Austin Dean $5/1 - not sure he'll even make the team so this is assuming he does
                P - Jimmy Nelson $2/0
                P - Doolittle $15/0
                P - DeScalafani $1/1
                P - Jeffress $1/1 - will he get enough saves to make it worth it or are there 12 other guys more worthy of being kept?

Jose Siri
                Isan Diaz
                Cal Quantrill

Thanks!
                I'd drop Desmond, Camargo, Markakis, and Dean.

The minor league list is uninspiring but Diaz is the best of them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far.

The Kimbrel news freaked me out until I saw that the Nats don't want to go over the luxury tax threshold so crisis may be averted there.

Camargo was looking like a slam dunk keeper until the Donaldson signing. I already knew my infield keeper list was going to be crowded so trading him or throwing him back will allow a little more flexibility.

As for Margot being a bench player, I now see that Roster Resource has that being the case, but everything I've heard has him as the starting CF (including this article from Gas Lamp Ball - https://www.gaslampball.com/2019/2/2...-jr-mejia-jank). Either way, I don't see how he won't get 400 ABs and if he can just learn how to steal a base he should be good for 20+ with his speed. I might look into trading him as well since he still has some name value.

scottw - kind of interested to hear why you wouldn't want to keep Peraza
                  Sorry, oversight! Do not multi task when answering a post!
                  Bearin' up!

Comment

Considering how thin my pitching I probably should have added this one too:

Musgrove - $10/1

Would he bump anyone else off the list?

Comment

Working...
                    X