Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2K19: Catchers in One-Catcher Leagues---Is there any point in spending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    My NL Cs last year were Realmuto and Molina for 13 units apiece. how did I do there?
    which one sucked?
    Unless they were keepers, you sucked in that your leaguemates have no clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      ...and a fundamental principle is, "this game is supposed to be fun."
      Fixed that for you (and them).
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        I think you answered your own question, right? 1 Catcher leagues makes it such that there are less catchers rostered than those that have starting jobs, which isn't true for the other positions. Unless you invent a new mix of positions (like MI/CI, but something including catcher), 2 is the logical choice so that all starters are rostered.

Also all mlb teams carry a minimum of 2 catchers. They do NOT have a minimum of 2 1B/2B/SS/3B, they typically use utility type players to cover those positions such that one bench bat may backup more than 1 starting spot (hence CI/MI)
        We went to 1 catcher but made the other spot a Utlity spot . It could be a batter OR a Pitcher. Adds some more strategy. Plus with more and more MLB teams adding Pitchers it makes it easier to fill spot in only leagues with big benches.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          Unless they were keepers, you sucked in that your leaguemates have no clue.
          Was more the context at that time for an NL Only. Realmuto was heavily rumored to be traded and going to the AL was a real possibility and a worry for owners that would lose him completely.

Comment

correct.
            we get partial compensation - bonus FAAB units equal to the 13 lost - if Realmuto had gone to the AL, but no guarantee that would lead to a similar-level AL player being acquired in return.

I rolled the dice and won. I think Rotisserie ball is about rolling the dice. not sure what having only 1 C in a mixed league is rolling.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

With Salvador Perez going down, there are barely any catchers worth paying for at all. All I can see is the safe and good production of Realmuto and the upside of Sanchez. Many people, especially Ariel Cohen on FG, seem to think it is very important to give a positional adjustment to catcher values. Other than the top two, in a one-catcher league, I do not see any point in giving one at all. There just isn't much of a difference between the best you can get and the worst.

For example, in my main league, it is one-catcher, 5x5 (standard), and 16-teams (roto). Realmuto and Sanchez are being kept (already under contract). I doubt anyone else is (Mejia is being kept as a rookie, free guy, but he's relatively irrelevant for these purposes anyway). Hitter inflation is 25% based on my keeper guesses for all teams, overall inflation is 16.8% (most of the great pitcher contracts expired last year). According to my program, the remaining catchers who are likely to be taken (14, I assume; I doubt anyone goes for two catchers this year) are valued between $6 (uninflated)/$7 (inflated) (Grandal) and -$3 (both inflated and uninflated) (a group from #11-16; Ramos, Gomes, Flowers, Garver, Suzuki, Barnhardt; Lucroy at -$4 might also be taken). At this point, what is the point in over-paying for Grandal, Molina, Contreras, or Posey (the only ones above $0), when you aren't really getting much more than the guys you can get for $1 at the end? I guess, I could go to $10 for Grandal given that I have to overpay by $4 for the negative three guys, but Grandal will go for far more than that, I am sure. Hell, he could even be kept for $11, although that would mean letting either an $11 Tim Anderson or a $12 Eddie Rosario go, so I am guessing not.

What does the pen think? Is it worth paying for catchers this year outside of Realmuto and Sanchez?
              Streamer has Grandal at 12.8, BATs at 9.2 for 16 team mixed. Single catcher. Streamer has CJ Cron at the same 12.8 price.

If I was playing in this format, I would spend up to 10 on Grandal. I would prefer to target Omar Narvaez up to $5 (Streamer has him at a buck) hoping to get him cheaper. I think he makes a profit and allows me to spend elsewhere.

Comment

Since we are talking 1 catcher leagues here I am trying to decide on who to keep. In a 12 team NL Only would you rather have a $10 Y Molina or a $1 Kurt Suzuki and keep the $9 to use elsewhere. With inflation Molina probably pushes over 10, but in a one catcher league I am not confident in how much.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                  Since we are talking 1 catcher leagues here I am trying to decide on who to keep. In a 12 team NL Only would you rather have a $10 Y Molina or a $1 Kurt Suzuki and keep the $9 to use elsewhere. With inflation Molina probably pushes over 10, but in a one catcher league I am not confident in how much.
                  Suzuki. He's playable and Molina is turning 37 and getting to be a very high risk.

Comment

In your league at these prices both would make about 3-4 dollars in profit. But Molina gets you about $8 more in stats at a cost $9 without inflation. In an NL only one catcher league I would be happy to have him at 10 and would choose him over Suzuki

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                      Suzuki. He's playable and Molina is turning 37 and getting to be a very high risk.
                      Ha, what a great game we have!

I was typing and did not see your answer before hitting reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Ha, what a great game we have!

I was typing and did not see your answer before hitting reply.
                        Hopefully that means there is no wrong answer

Comment

Glad to see I am not the only one a bit confused on this one.

Comment

In RJEL, where we are supposed "experts," we use one catcher.

Comment

#threadhijackcomplete

FWIW, in my one catcher league, there are no participation trophies, but last place gets a plunger. Does that count? Hell, if we are going for difficult by big rosters, why not a 15-NL Only with two catchers? Everyone can have a guy who never even thinks about playing. Again, not difficult to pick between different guys who don't play enough to matter at all. Deeper does not always mean more difficult. Don't get me wrong, at a certain level of shallowness, it is just silly. On the other hand, at a certain level of depth, it is just silly, too. If you are deep enough to go into which crappy player will get more playing time because a manager, who may or may not get fired mid-season, plays more because he likes or dislikes veterans, you are just guessing. And then it is all luck and Mith is right. And after typing that, I wonder if I should quit it entirely, lol.
                              Post of the year!
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Glad to see I am not the only one a bit confused on this one.
                                I am not confused.

I may be wrong but I am not confused.

Comment

Working...
                                X