X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose "can you see" Ramirez

Asking for a friend...

15 Team -roto-mixed-redraft-no trade= league

After a sensational start to 2018 and abysmal 2nd half, why is Jose Ramirez being selected THIRD, in so many drafts. The 3rd pick is the BIG Question with the
    ..28th..33rd picks, to follow for consideration

JDK, Arenado, Scherzer seem safer selections to start..

With Lindor out and Brantley, E.E., Josh Donaldson, Melky, Alonso, etc. all gone, Should he resume his prowess, won't opponents just pitch around him?

PLEASE ASPLAIN for my friend

Originally posted by Chitownhawk View Post
    Asking for a friend...

After a sensational start to 2018 and abysmal 2nd half, why is Jose Ramirez being selected THIRD, in so many drafts. The 3rd pick is the BIG Question with the

With Lindor out and Brantley, E.E., Josh Donaldson, Melky, Alonso, etc. all gone, Should he resume his prowess, won't opponents just pitch around him?

People tend not to look at anything but the whole of a season, and Ramirez had a great one...he stuffed all 5 categories. People DON'T tend to look at the last couple of months, where he basically fell off a cliff from what he was doing. Rumors, yeah, those, say that teams discovered a pitch that he couldn't handle well. We'll see, but I would take someone else at 3...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Help me understand this guy. How in the hell did most miss the boat on him. I don't recall him being anything special as a prospect. Is there a secret to knowing how to see something like this coming?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
        Help me understand this guy. How in the hell did most miss the boat on him. I don't recall him being anything special as a prospect. Is there a secret to knowing how to see something like this coming?
        Anything I post is going to be 1. hindsight and 2. have easily found exceptions, but this is at least a possible starting point to trying to find players like this:

1. In the 2014 AAA IL, there were only 3 qualifying players with a listed age below 22:
        - Francisco Lindor(20),
        - Jose Ramirez (21),
        - Mookie Betts (21)

2. In the 2014 AAA IL, there were only 3 players below the age of 24 with a K/BB ratio below 1.5:
        - Jose Ramirez (21, 30/25)
        - Mookie Betts (21, 30/26)
        - Marcus Semien (23, 59/53)

... so one might try correlating age, bb rate, k rate, isopower and perhaps some sb ratio with major league success (perhaps owar).
        I believe AA leagues and 2 of the A+ leagues would be useful as well (PCL stats are a mess). Park factors would substantially improve quality.
        Age would liekly be heavily weighted - it frequently means the team believes the player can handle the older pitching, and they should know best
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
          Anything I post is going to be 1. hindsight and 2. have easily found exceptions, but this is at least a possible starting point to trying to find players like this:

1. In the 2014 AAA IL, there were only 3 qualifying players with a listed age below 22:
          - Francisco Lindor(20),
          - Jose Ramirez (21),
          - Mookie Betts (21)

2. In the 2014 AAA IL, there were only 3 players below the age of 24 with a K/BB ratio below 1.5:
          - Jose Ramirez (21, 30/25)
          - Mookie Betts (21, 30/26)
          - Marcus Semien (23, 59/53)

... so one might try correlating age, bb rate, k rate, isopower and perhaps some sb ratio with major league success (perhaps owar).
          I believe AA leagues and 2 of the A+ leagues would be useful as well (PCL stats are a mess). Park factors would substantially improve quality.
          Age would liekly be heavily weighted - it frequently means the team believes the player can handle the older pitching, and they should know best
          Very well written and informative. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chitownhawk View Post
            Asking for a friend...

I did a Yahoo Pro League draft last night for shits and giggles and drew the third pick. Absolute worst pick in a snake draft this year. Trout and Betts are the obvious 1-2. Behind them you have: Ramirez, Arenado, Scherzer, Trea Turner, J.D. Martinez, and Yelich, in pretty much any order. Hell, I've even seen Acuna go at 3 and can see the argument for upside. You might as well pick 8th or 9th rather than third. Ramirez has some question marks, but so do the other contenders for #3---Arenado only contributes in four categories; same with Martinez. Yelich has only been elite for one year. Turner has not really ever stayed healthy for a whole season. Scherzer is an aging pitcher. And obviously Acuna is wildly speculative. He goes third because of the lack of other better options. (FWIW, I went Scherzer at third, but I could have gone for any of the rest.)

Comment

If it was me, I'd take Turner or Max over him, just because I'm not 100% sure I like J-Ram enough to take him 3rd. I agree that it's not an ideal pick to get.

Comment

I drafted Ramirez in the 4th round of the RJEL rookie draft in 2014 (I had 4 picks in that 4th round and took Ramirez, Jimmy Nelson, Travis Jankowski & Chris Taylor, not too shabby!) -- and then let him go once he lost rookie status.

Comment

Working...
                X