companies you boycott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• companies you boycott

i should make a list just because. i haven't really made one though. but if you guys have any brands you don't like, i'll gladly join your boycott.

any Apple products as i didn't like Steve Jobs.
    Chick-fil-A because they entered politics
    Papa Johns same reason
    Olive Garden same reason
    Honeywell because their CEO was rather loud about austerity
    cable TV, but i will buy internet
    Kraft Heinz products because i was paying attention a few years ago when 3G capital bought them

The 3G Capital approach to business is ruthless and revolves around cost-cutting. Every employee must justify his existence every single day. Promotions are quick and merit-based, and underperformers get fired with the same alacrity. In less than two years after merging Kraft with Heinz, its workforce was cut by 20%, and overhead by 40%. Critics have long contended that 3G Capital’s cost-cutting went too far and came at the expense of growth. They turned out to be right. The problem with this philosophy is that you can’t cost-cut your way to growth.

Good idea for a Thread. I will be interested in what others put up.

I do not pay enough attention to actually have a reason to boycott products.

I will not go to Chick or Papas because I don't like the the taste of their products. I don't think that counts as boycotting.

Mrs. Gregg boycotts Jimmy Johns as the founder is a hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Mrs. Gregg boycotts Jimmy Johns as the founder is a hunter.
      Is Mrs. Gregg a vegetarian? I'm flextaraian, but to me hunting for meat is more ethical than factory farming practices.

Comment

I can't say that I outright boycott anyone, but I generally try to stay away from the big box stores & favor smaller vendors when I can (I haven't been in a walmart for years).

Having said that I recently read a bit about Nestle's approach in third world countries ... if there was a company I'd start boycotting it would probably be there.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I boycott Jimmy John's, Chick-fil-A, Home Depot, Nike, and Walmart. I wish I could boycott Amazon and shop elsewhere as much as possible.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Here's a big group of companies you might consider:
            Top business magazine WirtschaftsWoche has published a league table illustrating the Nazi past of top German firms such as Mercedes, Deutsche Bank and VW.

Comment

Other than trying to support local businesses over large retailers where and when I can, I don't shop or dine based on politics or ideology. That's just not really a mode of political expression that I embrace, because often the people who are most hurt are those businesses' lowest-paid employees, not the founder CEO who said something stupid or supported something despicable.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                Other than trying to support local businesses over large retailers where and when I can, I don't shop or dine based on politics or ideology. That's just not really a mode of political expression that I embrace, because often the people who are most hurt are those businesses' lowest-paid employees, not the founder CEO who said something stupid or supported something despicable.
                Great point. I'd extend that slightly by saying boycotting extensively hurts the lowest-paid employee and also you, really, as it limits your choices as a customer.

Comment

do you eat at Chick-Fil-A?

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    do you eat at Chick-Fil-A?
                    Yes. They have a stand in the Falco Building around the corner from my office in LIC and I get the spicy chicken sandwich maybe once a month or so. It's tasty.

Comment

Yes. They have a stand in the Falco Building around the corner from my office in LIC and I get the spicy chicken sandwich maybe once a month or so. It's tasty.
                      Agree, I eat there regularly too.

Man if I had to agree with every political idea of the counter party to every business transaction I'm a part of I'd be really hungry.

Comment

I know that is one place where some people draw the line - dominos used to have some of the similar sentiment against it

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          I know that is one place where some people draw the line - dominos used to have some of the similar sentiment against it
                          There's no good reason for anyone in NY or North Jersey to ever eat Dominos pizza, but that's got nothing to do with politics. You can get so much better pizza delivered to your home in almost every neighborhood around here.

Comment

Walmart in an attempt to buy local, Starbucks because their coffee sucks, Uber because they are douchebags
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              Walmart in an attempt to buy local, Starbucks because their coffee sucks, Uber because they are douchebags
                              Forgot about Uber and I've never had to boycott Starbucks because I don't drink coffee.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X