NL Only trade/keeper help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Only trade/keeper help

Standard 5x5, 12 tm NL Only. A= 1st yr, B= 2nd yr, C= extendable $5/yr, or keep final year

I dumped last year and I'm only so-so on my keeper collection.

Conforto - $15('20)
    Schwarber - $15('20)
    Margot - $5B
    F. Mejia - $7B
    K. Marte - $8C
    J. Hader - $13B
    D. Steckenrider - $1C
    T. Touissant - $5B
    N. Pivetta - $3B
    B. Woodruff - $5B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    L. Gohara - $3C (too much uncertainty to extend him now, even to $8 for 2 years, right? Worth a shot? He holds almost no value if I make him a $3X, so I'm kinda stuck extending or dropping. Leaning towards dropping.)
    A. Eaton - $22C (decent price, but nothing incredible as a $22X.)
    A. Slater - $3B (Has a chance to lock down FT AB's, has some SB's in the profile.)

FARM

Here's my biggest problem. We only get 6 Farm slots, which has a couple of side-affects. With 6 slots, you can't afford to draft 17 year olds that will take 4-6 years to develop. You need to prioritize ETA + ceiling, that's it. So here's my farm, 5 close to ready, 1 upside guy:

T. Trammell - OF - CIN
    A. Verdugo - OF - LAD
    G. Hampson - 2B - COL
    I. Diaz - 2B - MIA
    A. Knizner - C - STL
    S. Alcantara - SP - MIA

I have the 13th farm pick, so I think I'll drop Alcantara to make a pick... or I could keep Alcantara on the major league portion in place of Woodruff or Touissant. Alcantara would have 2 extra years until extension time, but Touissant and Woodruff both seem more MLB-ready right now. I might even drop Alcantara and push Verdugo or Hampson to the ML keepers, (again in place of Touki or Woodruff), just to get an extra farm pick. I feel like all except Trammell have lower ceilings, so it's kind of a bummer... but I also love the advantage of having multiple plug-ins for $1 guys to take a stars/scrubs draft approach.

Finally, a trade I'm pondering.

I give Conforto $15('20) in exchange for G. Marquez $5C + R. Quinn $5A.

I would probably extend Marquez to $10('20), but will Quinn get enough playing time? I like having 2 years of Quinn until extension, but I worry if he makes it as a starter or not. Super clogged OF in Philly, and they're in win-now mode, so might bench Quinn for a heavier bat.

What would you do?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Conforto - $15('20) ok but I wouldn't have extended him; you sucked the profit right out of him
    Schwarber - $15('20) are you allowed to cut him?
    Margot - $5B too soon to say
    F. Mejia - $7B ditto
    K. Marte - $8C oh yeah
    J. Hader - $13B oh yeah
    D. Steckenrider - $1C I'd keep, but not extend unless he's named the closer
    T. Touissant - $5B don't see it
    N. Pivetta - $3B yes - Rebound Roy
    B. Woodruff - $5B yes with any role at all
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    L. Gohara - $3C (too much uncertainty to extend him now, even to $8 for 2 years, right? Worth a shot? He holds almost no value if I make him a $3X, so I'm kinda stuck extending or dropping. Leaning towards dropping.) too soon
    A. Eaton - $22C (decent price, but nothing incredible as a $22X.) depends on your league inflation level (and his health)
    A. Slater - $3B (Has a chance to lock down FT AB's, has some SB's in the profile.) a likely keep for now

I'd take Marquez and go to 10, and Quinn would just be gravy anyway
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

No to Conforto trade and no extension.

Drop Schwarber.

Great article on Gohara in the Athletic would have me bidding on him at auction. Try to get him back on new contract.

Drop Alcantara, keep others as minors.

Comment

Yikes. That doesn't look great. I am not sure why Tosissant is higher than Gohara for you. Same issues, either could take a job and run with it this year, end up in the pen, or spend most of the season in the minors. And the extra year doesn't mean much---the mess of Braves pitching prospects probably won't sort itself by next year, either. I think you could get either of them for those prices at auction---I'd much rather keep Eaton than either---assuming the Nats do not sign Harper. I would try to make moves for multiple keepers (like the move for Marquez and Quinn) to fill out the Touki/Pivetta/Woodruff part of the list. I am not high on any of them---and I would think you could get a pretty penny for Pivetta since he is everyone's sleeper this year. I am not sure why everyone thinks he will magically figure out how to keep the ball in park this year when he hasn't previously. (I saw where he was on your pitcher list, but I don't do podcasts and you don't do chats much any more, so I don't know how attached to him you are---I am not sure why Judge Jude calls him Rebound Roy--a "rebound" indicates that he had success at the major-league level previously, which he has not.) Maybe try to move a minor leaguer for a major leaguer to free up a spot?

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
          No to Conforto trade and no extension.

Drop Schwarber.

Great article on Gohara in the Athletic would have me bidding on him at auction. Try to get him back on new contract.

Drop Alcantara, keep others as minors.
          Pretty sure the way he set it out means he cannot drop Schwarber without penalty. I love me some Gohara, but even with injuries and underperformance possibilities, there is no way to know which Braves kids get a chance. I'd still take a speculative bid on him in a rebuild like this, so maybe we agree on that. I do like Conforto, but what good does he do for a team that might take a year or two or three to get back in contention when only through 2020?

Comment

Schwarber + Conforto are both guaranteed $15 in both '19/'20, with a 50% cut penalty, so they'd be $15 to cut. Not really an option.

I forgot that I also have D. Murphy $32B. I got him at a slight discount based on his starting last year on the DL, so maybe he'd go higher this year being healthy in Coors.

There's also Syndergaard $10X available for multiple pieces, but the last offer he put to me involved a 5-for-2 with Trammell, I. Diaz, Margot, Woodruff, and F. Mejia all for Synder $10X + J. Martinez (1B, STL) $1C. I might extend Martinez to $6 for 2 years... but as a hit>power 1B/OF who's a butcher in the field, I'm not so into investing. Would rather deal for Synder solo. Also hesitant to deal Trammell, but might need to go 3-for-1 if I don't include him.

Anyway, would you do a quantity deal and offer I. Diaz + Woodruff + Mejia/Margot for Thor?

If I made 2 deals, sending I. Diaz (farm/$5) + Margot $5B/Mejia $7B + Woodruff $5B + Conforto $15('20) and received Quinn $5A + Marquez $10('20) + Thor $10X, I would be replacing Margot/Mejia with Quinn (more SB upside, 1 extra year control until extension over either), replacing Woodruff $5B with Thor $10X (if I end up dumping, Thor $10X is a great midseason trade chip), replacing Conforto $15('20) with Marquez $10('20), so I save $5 each of the next 2 years, although I do quite like Conforto's offensive upside, 2nd half was more in line with 2017's monster production. I. Diaz is nice proximity guy with a very high likelihood to lock down a FT job with 15/15 or 20/20 potential, but I'd be replacing him with a decent farm pick in this shallow farm format, so I have less fear of dealing him.

Do those deals make sense in combination, even if I overpay for Thor and send 3-for-1?

If I made those 2 SP acquisitions, I would also likely toss Touki back to the draft and keep $32 Murphy or $22 Eaton instead to fill the OF hole left by Margot + Conforto being dealt. Lots of moving parts. Any of it look good?
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I like Schwarber and Conforto at $15 each. They will both make a profit. I like them even more if in your league Murphy is a discount at $32.

I would be trying to trade Murphy.

I do not like the deal where you are trading Conforto.

I would do the Diaz, Woodruff, Margot for Thor deal.

Comment

Martinez signed a two year extension today. While that does not guarantee he won't be traded it is a vote of confidence. I agree if you get him in a trade I would give him a year to $6.

I am a Martinez owner $4c, I will not give him a raise but I am easily keeping him in our 12 team NL only.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  Martinez signed a two year extension today. While that does not guarantee he won't be traded it is a vote of confidence. I agree if you get him in a trade I would give him a year to $6.

I am a Martinez owner $4c, I will not give him a raise but I am easily keeping him in our 12 team NL only.
                  Where does Martinez get the at bats? And how many?

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    Where does Martinez get the at bats? And how many?
                    Back up for Goldy. Starting right fielder with Fowler becoming defensive backup?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I like Schwarber and Conforto at $15 each. They will both make a profit. I like them even more if in your league Murphy is a discount at $32.

I would be trying to trade Murphy.

I do not like the deal where you are trading Conforto.

I would do the Diaz, Woodruff, Margot for Thor deal.
                      I'm really unsure how much Murphy goes for in the draft. I love his BA in Coors, I think he could hit .320, but he's always been more of a 20 HR guy than 30, and now that he's 34 and the SB are gone, it's harder to convince myself to pay top dollar as well as use a keeper spot.

Thor just got dealt for Carter Kieboom, Hyun-Jin Ryu $12B, and K. Gausman $14B. Team sending Thor included his 2nd and 3rd rd farm picks for his 2 lowest.

I don't mind Ryu, but I wouldn't think Gausman is a keeper at that price. Kieboom is nice, but that's a hell of a price to pay, especially including the 2 downgraded picks. Bummer that I missed out, but I hope these prices are illustrative.

Comment

Wow, that's just a bizarre trade. I would have done the Thor trade alone. He's a great mid-season chip, as you note, and you can get more for him then than you would have given up now. Certainly more than that guy gave---assuming Thor stays healthy, a big if.

Comment

Working...
                        X