2k19: Kyle Freeland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k19: Kyle Freeland

I've somehow managed to get multiple shares of Freeland already this season. He has the whole "born in Denver, so maybe the altitude doesn't bother him" thing going on. I don't expect him to repeat last year but maybe he's being discounted too much? Or maybe he was a typical soft tosser who is due for a massive regression. (Average fastball was 91.6 last year). His projections are certainly ugly.

2018 stats: 202.1ip, 17-7, 2.85 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 173 Ks.

A K/9 of 7.7 doesn't blow anyone away. A 3.67 FIP and 4.22 xFIP aren't bad, but they're more indicative of how he pitched than that 2.85 ERA. The ERA also doesn't really match the 1.25 WHIP. He had a .285 BABIP and 0.76 HR/9 with a 46% ground ball rate. Coors isn't the homer haven it used to be, but BABIP still runs very high there.

For whatever it's worth, he had 93.2 IP with a 2.40 ERA / 1.17 WHIP at home, and 108.2 IP with a 3.23 ERA / 1.31 WHIP on the road. You can say "he beat Coors and that's repeatable" or you can say "yeesh, if he posts a "normal" 4.30 ERA at Coors and the same road numbers, he'll look a lot worse."

Projections:

The BAT: 197ip, 4.12 ERA, 163 K, 1.34 WHIP
    ATC: 184ip, 4.41 ERA, 149 K, 1.39 WHIP
    Steamer: 195ip, 4.62 ERA, 162 K, 1. 43 WHIP

Rankings:

Ranked 43rd on Sporer's top 120 SPs
    Ranked 35th on The Pitcher List's top 100 SPs

For NFBC Draft Champions leagues, 15 teams, since 1/1/19, he's the 59th pitcher off the board. Probably 15 of those are relievers.

55. Bieber
    56. Pivetta
    57. E-Rod
    58. Darvish
    59. Freeland
    60. Heaney
    61. Porcello

I'd probably take Heaney over him, but I think that Freeland/Heaney/Porcello grouping has him pretty well nailed. I know I've heard someone say that Freeland probably has some upside in his K rate.

If I were to project I'd probably go slightly better than The BAT, something like 200ip, 3.70 ERA, 180 K, 1.28 WHIP

This is the poster boy example of what makes our great game fun. 55-61 are all about do you believe good or bad. How much does one year's stats influence the drafter. I agree with you I would take Heaney over Freeland.

Of that list if all were the same price in my keeper league my choice would be

Darvish-ST reports he is looking good
    Bieber-move up two notches thank you RJ
    Pivietta
    Heaney
    E-Rod
    Freeland
    Porcello

I really have no idea what Freeland will do. He won't be on my team as I am not a believer. But what he did last year was special and I am rooting that he does it again.

He $10A and on the trade block in our 12 NL only 5x5. I probably could get him for a reserve round draft pick. I do not want to spend that 10 bucks for him prior to auction. If he was already on my team I would be trying to trade him as well.

Comment

Has any Colorado Rockie starter ever had two straight solid, above-average seasons? I'm passing easily on him. If he pans out for whoever takes him, more power to them.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Has any Colorado Rockie starter ever had two straight solid, above-average seasons? I'm passing easily on him. If he pans out for whoever takes him, more power to them.
        Jeff Francis had 199ip of 118 ERA+ and then 215ip of 114 ERA+.

But Freeland had an ERA+ of 164 last year. That's a whole different level.

Comment

Originally posted by revo
          That's a great trivia question. Using standard fantasy stats, I came up with one - Ubaldo Jimenez in 2009 and 2010.

German Marquez might be a better bet to repeat the feat this year than Freeland, based on stuff alone. I wouldn't count Freeland out, though - he's cerebral and fearless. There's no guarantee that those qualities will translate to useful fantasy stats again in 2019, but it gives him a shot.

He's working on a couple modified pitches to stay ahead of scouting reports and hitter adjustments - a changeup that breaks down and in to lefties, and a two-seamer that cuts in on righties. Do what you will with that information.

In my league's format - NL-only 4x4 using K's instead of WHIP - I have more confidence in Freeland than I do in Yu Darvish.
          Last edited by senorsheep; 02-21-2019, 03:42 PM. Reason: Ubaldo spells his last name funny.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Freeland had a 4.19 xERA last year; HQ had him worth $21 last season and projects $6 this year.

Marquez had an incredible 2.45 second-half xERA last year to back a 2.57 actual ERA. that's the one you want (projected $14).
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Here's another trivia question:
              In the entire history of the franchise, how many Colorado Rockie starting pitchers have had a qualified season with a WHIP under 1.20?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Here's another trivia question:
                In the entire history of the franchise, how many Colorado Rockie starting pitchers have had a qualified season with a WHIP under 1.20?
                Zero?

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                  Zero?
                  Can't be 0, Baldy had a 1.15 in 2010.

I say 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Can't be 0, Baldy had a 1.15 in 2010.

I say 1.
                    I'm inclined to say nobody did it pre-humidor (2002), but I remember Marvin Freeman having one freakishly great season in the mid-90's. so that's one possibility.

German Marquez last year, maybe?

Other than that, Ubaldo's magic 2010 season is all I've got.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                      That's a great trivia question. Using standard fantasy stats, I came up with one - Ubaldo Jimenez in 2009 and 2010.
                      If "above-average seasons" is ERA+ > 100 then:

Baldy 2008-2010
                      Marquez in 2017-2018
                      Aaron Cook 2006-2008.
                      Jeff Francis 2006-2007
                      Pedtro Astacio 1999-2000

(I understand that most of these are not great fantasy seasons, just trying to make "above average" more objective)

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        I'm inclined to say nobody did it pre-humidor (2002), but I remember Marvin Freeman having one freakishly great season in the mid-90's. so that's one possibility.

German Marquez last year, maybe?

Other than that, Ubaldo's magic 2010 season is all I've got.
                        Marquez wasn't under 1.2 last year.
                        Freeman was at 1.21 in '94 but only 112 IP too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Marquez wasn't under 1.2 last year.
                          1.204. Gold star for a good guess.

Comment

Give Ken & SenorSheep a prize. The answer is ONE -- Ubaldo Jimenez, 2010, 1.155.

Comment

Well I've got him as my SP4 on my NFBC team, so I don't need great, I just need solid. Those taking him as SP35 which is a middle of the road SP3 might need a little more out of him.

Comment

Working...
                              X