Manny to the Padres!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    Worth it for the Padres to jump back into relevance.
    They did this in the 2014 offseason and it didn't go so well. I don't understand it at all. If you're really itching to spend that kind of money, wait a year, let your guys develop further, and go after Arenado.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
      They did this in the 2014 offseason and it didn't go so well.
      Don't forget the big splash signing of Hosmer last year too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Don't forget the big splash signing of Hosmer last year too.
        Exactly. And that's gone so well for them!

Comment

Not a defense of the Padres, but I've seen the "we should wait until next year and then sign Arenado" plan for 5-10 different teams, and that's not going to work for all but one of the teams that are planning that strategy (if any). Maybe the Padres were liking the bird in hand.

Comment

"Machado was the third overall selection in the 2010 draft, behind Harper and Jameson Taillon."
            Amazing top 3, hope this years crop is similar.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
              "Machado was the third overall selection in the 2010 draft, behind Harper and Jameson Taillon."
              Amazing top 3, hope this years crop is similar.
              That it an awfully big ask. It won't be .

Comment

2010, Best draft class of a generation, yeah I think it is safe to say this years wont be similar. So, hopefully this means Harper and his 10 yr, 350 mill contract will be announced in next couple of days.

Comment

Even with this signing, the Padres 2019 payroll will be just $110m -- and not coincidentally, $30m in dead contracts (Phil Hughes, Hector Olivera, etc.) fall off after this season.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Even with this signing, the Padres 2019 payroll will be just $110m -- and not coincidentally, $30m in dead contracts (Phil Hughes, Hector Olivera, etc.) fall off after this season.
                    Shit, I don't even remember who Hector Olivera was. lol

He's no Bobby Bonilla, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                      Shit, I don't even remember who Hector Olivera was. lol

He's no Bobby Bonilla, that's for sure.
                      He's what you got for unloading the Kemp contract to Atlanta. He was released immediately upon receipt by the Padres.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                        They did this in the 2014 offseason and it didn't go so well. I don't understand it at all. If you're really itching to spend that kind of money, wait a year, let your guys develop further, and go after Arenado.
                        That's a silly thought. Arenado could sign an extension before hitting the market. With a 10-year contract and no opt-out until year five, if you can get him for something that works now, that's just fine. When you have a 26-year old free agent, you don't have to necessarily be competing in year one of a ten year contract. And with the farm they have, it makes all the sense in the world. What they did in 2014 was totally different; short-term assets that weren't enough to compete. That was more like the Reds this year. But worse---I like what the Reds are doing this year---not blocking anything but trying to win some games. Hell, given that the NL has only one tanking team, wins will be tough to come by anywhere and 85 might snag a wild card slot--in which case the Padres and Reds both have a chance. There might be games 163, 164, 165, and 166 this year, too.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Now they have to go with plan C. Moncada to third base?
                          I did see a blurb at Rotoworld saying that Moncada could in fact move to 3B.
                          Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                          Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
                            I did see a blurb at Rotoworld saying that Moncada could in fact move to 3B.
                            They have more or less announced that now.

Comment

Working...
                            X