pitcherlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pitcherlist

Just started reading this site since the writer was on a podcast with Sporer and I think his writeups are really interesting. I had just read http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball...ers-draft-2019 on ESPN and he talked about how Bieber and Bundy's BABIPs indicated that things would get better, and I remembered reading this, from https://www.pitcherlist.com/top-60-s...tasy-baseball/ :

45. Shane Bieber (Cleveland Indians) — If Shane Bieber plays at his 3.23 FIP, he’s the steal of the draft! Hey everyone, welcome to today’s edition of Don’t Mind the Gap as we talk about ERA & DIPS gaps, why they happen, and why you should generally avoid this foundation for your analysis. Yes, Bieber probably was unlucky last year as a 4.55 ERA will most likely drop significantly as he held a .356 BABIP and sub-70% LOB rate (the 12.1% HR/FB rate seems normal). Let’s understand that BABIP, though. Bieber is a strike-thrower to a ridiculous fault. His four-seamer found the zone 62.4% of the time, induced a sub-20% O-Swing, and allowed contact over 88% of the time. The latter two marks are especially bad when that high contact returned a .306 BAA and .196 ISO — plenty of damage for a pitch thrown over a thousand times — though you may be thinking his high zone-rate is a good thing. It is — if you’re hitting the corners. Bieber’s 93 mph fastball did not. It was crushed a ton as a result and a is major reason why you should take his expected BABIP regression with a grain of salt. Bieber should probably hold a sub-10 H/9, but if he continues to throw heaters this poorly, it will still be higher than most, along with his BABIP. There is good news, though: I believe there is a cure. It’s incredibly abnormal and you may think I’m crazy — Bieber needs to throw fewer strikes. Bieber held opponents to 0 ER in 50% of the starts he allowed two walks (3 out of 6) and held opponents to 0 ER just 7.5% of the time in games with 1 or 0 walks (1 out of 13). That’s significant to me. The man needs to nibble! In addition, he has two strong secondary pitches in his slider (53% O-Swing, 44.5% Zone rate, 26% swinging-strike rate, absolute money and he doesn’t even know it) and curveball (14.5% swinging-strike rate, 40.5% O-Swing) that should find their ways outside the zone more often as well, helping Bieber nullify the hittable of his fastball. This is a big ask of Bieber, though. There’s a lot of grooming and polishing needed to get to that point, and while I do believe he’ll get there eventually, I’d feel better if his curveball (or maybe even changeup!) were a stronger third option like those in the rest of the Indians’ rotation. There will be a lot of frustration as Bieber will continue to hold an inflated BABIP, but we’re getting to that point of shrugs and you may as well chase Bieber with his 30% strikeout upside. This is an awfully negative write-up for someone that you’re pretty even — if not slightly high! — on relative to the field. That’s just how it is sometimes. I blame the SP landscape.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Bieber scares me as well. His hard contact percentage (43.9%) last year was 6th among pitchers with 100 or more innings, right around Straily, Hammel, and Colon. The line between being a great control pitching and throwing batting practice like Josh Towers did is awfully thin.

Comment

This is a great website! Thanks for the turn-on!

Comment

There is a Bieber thread http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...n-quot-Bieber?

One of the things I was able to do back in November, was compare Paul Sporer's early top 100 to Pitcherlist's top 100. It was an interesting study and one reason I am targeting Yu Darvish this spring. I rather like their top 300 rankings.

Speaking of Paul: https://www.pitcherlist.com/nick-pol...nkings-debate/

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-17-2019, 07:05 PM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

yeah, that was the podcast I listened to. It was also posted to FG.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            yeah, that was the podcast I listened to. It was also posted to FG.
            Yup.
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              This is a great website! Thanks for the turn-on!
              I saw BigJon post something about a year ago from their site and have followed it ever since. A lot of good content.

Comment

Good website. Nice read. Not sure what he thinks of my four keeper pitchers---all in the top 31 (for $49 in a $300 league) but he more or less trashes three of them in his write-ups, lol.

Comment

Nick and Paul evidently go way back. Check out today's podcast. https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/the-sl...le-sps-by-adp/

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Is there anywhere one can get transcripts of podcasts? I just don't do podcasts but wouldn't mind reading them.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      Is there anywhere one can get transcripts of podcasts? I just don't do podcasts but wouldn't mind reading them.
                      If someone has a suggestion for transcription, all for it. Last time I looked into it, it was very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                        If someone has a suggestion for transcription, all for it. Last time I looked into it, it was very expensive.
                        A college or business school student could probably do the same work for less.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          A college or business school student could probably do the same work for less.
                          you could get it done in India for under $5 a podcast
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

you could also try https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/0...ring-impaired/ and see how well it works. but I'd think there would be enough unusual words in it that it'd need a lot of expert review before it was ready to publish, and a 90 minute conversation is a lot of text to check. I guess you could crowdsource the corrections maybe?

edit: whoops, nm, no way to save a transcript. Still cool though.

Comment

It isn't that I am hearing impaired. It is that I just don't have the time around the right technology to listen to one while I do have the time to read chats/transcripts. I am not trying to get them transcribed for me. I am trying to change the modern culture of everything in a podcast/video/etc. on an obnoxious cell phone. And my small pocket lawn doesn't have any kids on it, but I still want to yell at them anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X