So Amazon turns down NYC -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Just because one criticized Trump for reducing the corporate tax rate, which has benefited no one but the wealthy, doesn't mean they support corporate loopholes. It sounds ridiculously obvious because it is.

Sigh... I didn’t say you supported corporate loopholes. I did say you (and the rest of the liberal mob) bitched about Trump reducing the corporate tax rate, which has very little to do with how much tax a corporation pays. You often ascribe to me a position I don’t hold and then attempt to score points by arguing against that position.

Comment

[QUOTE=nots;332930]Don’t bother—you’re already great in your role as the wiseman up on your perch atop Mt. Self Importance.[/QUO

guess you and apparently BG cant reconcile your libertarian beliefs with support of corporate welfare so you resort to namecalling. Nice
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        Also didn't realize that BG and you just have a slight belief in free markets. I thought you guys were libertarians.

I have described myself in here as a quasi-Libertarian dozens of times. I am sure you don’t believe all the talking points of whatever side you are too scared to share on here.

Comment

[QUOTE=The Feral Slasher;332932]
          Originally posted by nots View Post
          Don’t bother—you’re already great in your role as the wiseman up on your perch atop Mt. Self Importance.[/QUO

guess you and apparently BG cant reconcile your libertarian beliefs with support of corporate welfare so you resort to namecalling. Nice
          Go back to trolling OneJay

Comment

Dude, if you want to be a libertarian, fine, but you should actually be one. Huge corporations playing cities against each other to receive benefits not available to other smaller corporations is pretty much the exact opposite of what Libertarians profess. The end result of what you are supporting is the government giving huge amounts of money to Amazon. Textbook libertarianism, lol

Can't you see how Amazon has the market power to extort money by offering jobs to wherever they decide to locate ? Sure it might make sense for an particular location, but why should our government be bidding for jobs ? Again, the exact opposite of what a libertarian would believe in.
            I am a Libertarian - but Im also a pragmatist. The government isnt actually giving them a penny - they are only entering into an agreement to not tax X dollars. The people served by that government get more jobs, more capital, more opportunity.

Governments have been bidding for jobs now for decades - Look at the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. The owners of these teams get funding from cities to build stadiums. How and why do the cities do it? For the jobs and taxable revenues that they create - being able to be called an NFL city also attracts people to your area. Good business decisions are good business decisions - regardless of your political affiliation.

Of course - the Dr Evil will keep his 3billion dollars, keep a pinky to the corner of his mouth while petting a bald cat --- and all of those people that now have jobs will bitch about it because he has 3billion dollars and they may be only making 50k a year. Hmmm 50k a year vs. 0 a year - one is definitely better than the other for the guy making 50k (and the other 10's of thousands making about the same or more).
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

[QUOTE=The Feral Slasher;332932]
              Don’t bother—you’re already great in your role as the wiseman up on your perch atop Mt. Self Importance.[/QUO

honestly there is nothing more ridiculous than arguing with libertarians who want the government to pay a corporation $3 billion.
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                I am a Libertarian - but Im also a pragmatist. The government isnt actually giving them a penny - they are only entering into an agreement to not tax X dollars. The people served by that government get more jobs, more capital, more opportunity.

Governments have been bidding for jobs now for decades - Look at the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. The owners of these teams get funding from cities to build stadiums. How and why do the cities do it? For the jobs and taxable revenues that they create - being able to be called an NFL city also attracts people to your area. Good business decisions are good business decisions - regardless of your political affiliation.

Of course - the Dr Evil will keep his 3billion dollars, keep a pinky to the corner of his mouth while petting a bald cat --- and all of those people that now have jobs will bitch about it because he has 3billion dollars and they may be only making 50k a year. Hmmm 50k a year vs. 0 a year - one is definitely better than the other for the guy making 50k (and the other 10's of thousands making about the same or more).
                so apparently these jobs would just disappear if NY didn't give them $3 billion They don't really have a business case to create these jobs if the government doesn't give them a bunch of money ? I really love your version of capitalism.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

[QUOTE=nots;332934]
                  Go back to trolling OneJay
                  I can multi task, but thanks
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

[QUOTE=The Feral Slasher;332937]

honestly there is nothing more ridiculous than arguing with libertarians who want the government to pay a corporation $3 billion.
                    I never said I wanted the government to pay $3B (actual money is only $500M). However, if I lived in NYC, I would want them to come there. If I lived in Dallas, I would want them to come there. I don’t understand why Represetatives of a particular district would work so hard to insure they not come to their district after being selected, especially given the overwhelmingly positive numbers JJ posted earlier in this thread.
                    If it’s so ridiculous arguing with me, you can always stop posting.

Comment

[QUOTE=The Feral Slasher;332939]

I can multi task, but thanks
                      All evidence to the contrary

Comment

[QUOTE=nots;332940]
                        I never said I wanted the government to pay $3B (actual money is only $500M). However, if I lived in NYC, I would want them to come there. If I lived in Dallas, I would want them to come there. I don’t understand why Represetatives of a particular district would work so hard to insure they not come to their district after being selected, especially given the overwhelmingly positive numbers JJ posted earlier in this thread.
                        If it’s so ridiculous arguing with me, you can always stop posting.
                        I probably will stop, but it's fun for now. Sure, everyone wants them to come in and offer jobs. But the end result is them extorting money from the government. If they are going to create the jobs anyway why would a libertarian support the government subsidizing them ? And if they weren't going to create the jobs without a government subsidy then how is that capitalism/libertarianism ? The end result is huge corporations getting a handout from the government and if you and BG support that fine
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Is it safe to assume that you agree with AOC and not having the jobs and all its revenue NOT go to queens and other municipalities. I mean you can take the $3billion dollars and use them to fix your transit system and give teachers a raise... Right?
                          It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Is it safe to assume that you agree with AOC and not having the jobs and all its revenue NOT go to queens and other municipalities. I mean you can take the $3billion dollars and use them to fix your transit system and give teachers a raise... Right?
                            No, it's not safe to assume that. So if NY doesn't get these jobs do you think they will disappear ? Is the only reason the jobs are created is because the government subsidy ? I thought you were against that kind of thing.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Capitalism:
                              an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.
                              https://www.google.com/search?q=defi...hrome&ie=UTF-8

This would seem to be a great example of a transaction controlled by the Private for profit owner - making a business transaction (a trade) with the state. It is controlled by the Private Owner and NOT the State.

The state has to COMPETE in the market for the business of the PRIVATE FOR PROFIT OWNER.....

definitions -- pesky things they are.

This is just the NFL owner wanting a new stadium - just on a larger scale.

Comment

So please, please, please, explain to me why a libertarian is so deadset on the government giving a private corporation a huge amount of money to create jobs. This seems so much against what capitalists, free market proponents and libertarians profess.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X