So Amazon turns down NYC -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Show me a single leftist supporting corporate loopholes.
    I can show you lots of leftists (probably you if I had the gumption to go back thru these threads) bitching about Trump dropping the corporate tax rate, which as shown by Amazon means next to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
      So, what’s the answer— more government regulation to prevent it? That isn’t exactly a Libertarian position either.
      Sure, that's a much more difficult question to answer isn't it ? Might as well try to solve world hunger. What I was hoping to accomplish was to point out the ridiculousness in a libertarian supporting government payments to corporations. Why would a libertarian support that ? I think that is a huge problem with the libertarian philosophy in the age where huge corporations actually can make laws, control aspects of the government, and yield monopolistic powers. Those are all thing that a libertarian should object to, yet apparently Amazon is a beacon of capitalism and freedom.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        Sure, that's a much more difficult question to answer isn't it ? Might as well try to solve world hunger. What I was hoping to accomplish was to point out the ridiculousness in a libertarian supporting government payments to corporations. Why would a libertarian support that ? I think that is a huge problem with the libertarian philosophy in the age where huge corporations actually can make laws, control aspects of the government, and yield monopolistic powers. Those are all thing that a libertarian should object to, yet apparently Amazon is a beacon of capitalism and freedom.
        ignoring the power that corporations have over our government is pretty much the exact opposite of what libertarians profess, yet Baldgriff is totally on board with it.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

In a vacuum, I don’t think a Libertarian would support that. We don’t live in a vacuum though, so sometimes slightly less bad is the best you can hope for. If you are looking for irrational, impractical Libertarianism at the expense of actually getting something accomplished, Rand Paul is your guy.

Comment

In a vacuum, I don’t think a Libertarian would support that. We don’t live in a vacuum though, so sometimes slightly less bad is the best you can hope for. If you are looking for irrational, impractical at the expense of actually getting something accomplished, Rand Paul is your guy.
            The whole libertarian philosophy is impractical in the world today. Don't understand why that would make them support giving Amazon billions of dollars.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

just days before the news, Siena College announced results of a poll.

this question was:
              "Do you approve or disapprove of the recently announced deal between Amazon and New York, which grants up to $3 billion in state and city incentives to Amazon in return for locating its corporate office in Queens, where it is projected to generate 25,000 jobs?"

Democrats approve, 56 pct to 37 pct
              Republicans approve, 47-42
              Independents approve, 64-29

Whites approve, 51-40
              Blacks approve, 70-25
              Hispanics approve, 81-17

I would just say that it clearly is worth it for a city or region to offer incentives for a massive project like this.
              but how much is too much?
              I haven't seen a thoughtful analysis of this deal anywhere - has anyone else?
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

The whole libertarian philosophy is impractical in the world today. Don't understand why that would make them support giving Amazon billions of dollars.
                It’s not as impractical as relying on cradle to grave patricianism like I surmise you favor.

Comment

It’s not as impractical as relying on cradle to grave patricianism like I surmise you favor.
                  Way to pull something out of your ass and deflect from the conversation. Well done
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Way to pull something out of your ass and deflect from the conversation. Well done
                    Well, I can only surmise since you are too cowardly to state what you believe, only criticizing what others believe. As you said, well done.

Comment

Well, I can only surmise since you are too cowardly to state what you believe, only criticizing what others believe. As you said, well done.
                      I think I pretty clearly stated that i am against the government buying jobs from Amazon, which apparently you and your libertarian pal are in agreement with. Strange libertarianism.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think I pretty clearly stated that i am against the government buying jobs from Amazon, which apparently you and your libertarian pal are in agreement with. Strange libertarianism.
                        Pity that statement doesn’t come with a possible solution—only criticism for those who (slightly) believe in free markets over government.
                        Like I said: cowardly.

Comment

Pity that statement doesn’t come with a possible solution—only criticism for those who (slightly) believe in free markets over government.
                          I know lots of people look to The Feral Slasher to cure the problems of the world. Glad you joined them, I'll try not to disappoint. I love it when BG gets called out on his bullshit and we turn the conversation to me providing a solution. I'll get back to you when I have one
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Also didn't realize that BG and you just have a slight belief in free markets. I thought you guys were libertarians.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I can show you lots of leftists (probably you if I had the gumption to go back thru these threads) bitching about Trump dropping the corporate tax rate, which as shown by Amazon means next to nothing.
                              Just because one criticized Trump for reducing the corporate tax rate, which has benefited no one but the wealthy, doesn't mean they support corporate loopholes. It sounds ridiculously obvious because it is.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I know lots of people look to The Feral Slasher to cure the problems of the world. Glad you joined them, I'll try not to disappoint. I love it when BG gets called out on his bullshit and we turn the conversation to me providing a solution. I'll get back to you when I have one
                                Don’t bother—you’re already great in your role as the wiseman up on your perch atop Mt. Self Importance.

Comment

Working...
                                X