Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K19 Tyler Glasnow

Could this finally be the year?

Rays manager Kevin Cash said Saturday that Tyler Glasnow's velocity in his first couple bullpen sessions this spring has sat at 98.7 mph.

That's over two mph faster than the 96.5 mph that Statcast clocked him at last season. Glasnow has been working on being quicker to the plate in order to help control the running game, and in the process he's experienced a velocity bump and has also been throwing more strikes. "Everybody that has faced him has said that it's not a fun at-bat," Cash said. "Now it's finding that consistency. But we need to give him a little more margin of error given that he's 6-foot-7, 6-foot-8. He's filling up the zone right now." Obviously, we don't want to read too much into how a pitcher looks this early on in camp, but this report is certainly encouraging. Glasnow was already looking like a fine breakout candidate with how he finished last season.
    (Source: MLB.com/Rotoworld)
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Originally posted by madducks View Post

Rays manager Kevin Cash said Saturday that Tyler Glasnow's velocity in his first couple bullpen sessions this spring has sat at 98.7 mph.

That's over two mph faster than the 96.5 mph that Statcast clocked him at last season. Glasnow has been working on being quicker to the plate in order to help control the running game, and in the process he's experienced a velocity bump and has also been throwing more strikes. "Everybody that has faced him has said that it's not a fun at-bat," Cash said. "Now it's finding that consistency. But we need to give him a little more margin of error given that he's 6-foot-7, 6-foot-8. He's filling up the zone right now." Obviously, we don't want to read too much into how a pitcher looks this early on in camp, but this report is certainly encouraging. Glasnow was already looking like a fine breakout candidate with how he finished last season.
    I am really curious too, I don't have him at a great price in an AL Only but he seems to be a top 25 AL Only pitcher with upside.

Comment

I have him at $5 in AL only. In October he was on my bubble, now I think I have him firmly entrenched as a keeper. I'm bullish.
      One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

that's encouraging, still a lot of risk it seems, but lots of upside.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

He's a great upside pick, but I wouldn't go over $10 in a mixed league or you are pricing out all the profit. I worry that he's one of those guys who will have so much helium, it is hard to get him for a good price.

Comment

It takes awhile these really tall guys to figure it out, but Glasnow has always had lights out stuff. The fact that his fastball is even more lively is certainty good, but it still comes down to control and consistency. I do think he gets there eventually. Maybe this is the year, but as others have said, there is still risk here. Of course, the ceiling is very high too.

Comment

Although it is impressive, i am hoping that he quits doing this:

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/sta...57472426070021
              Last edited by madducks; 04-15-2019, 11:13 PM.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

He was very hot when he first moved. His walks were down and the ERA improved, so there was hope. However, his HR/9 spiked so he really did not make that big a small sample impact after the move. As SM says, mechanics are an issue. If the Rays figured out something he was doing wrong there could be a big improvement.

For a full season, I am cautiously optimistic. That said, I am not paying more than his ADP.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Although it is impressive, i am hoping that he quits doing this:

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/sta...57472426070021
                  I absolutely do not understand how someone that tall can do that. Wow.

I like Glasnow a lot - I think he's going to have his ups and downs, but the K upside is massive. I think his innings end up kinda low, either because the Rays are tamping them down or he just has too many 90 pitch, 3 inning starts. But I can see 150-160 innings and 190 Ks.

Comment

It's starting to look like a lost season for Glasnow:

Tyler Glasnow will be shut down for the next three weeks after an MRI revealed right flexor inflammation.

Glasnow felt discomfort while throwing on Sunday, necessitating the MRI. The right-hander has been sidelined since mid-May with what was simply called a forearm strain at the time. Glasnow surely won't be back until at least August now given that he won't even throw again until after the All-Star break.
                    (Source: Josh Tolentino on Twitter/Rotoworld)

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X