#2 Pick in a Rookie Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #2 Pick in a Rookie Draft

I have the 2nd overall pick in the RJEL rookie draft starting tomorrow. There's no clearcut top players this year, I don't think, and I don't even know who will go #1 overall. From among the below list, who would you consider at #2?

Casey Mize
    Nick Madrigal
    Chris Paddack
    Joey Bart
    Jonathan India
    Victor Victor Mesa
    Alec Bohm
    Jarred Kelenic
    Dustin May
    Gavin Lux
    Nolan Gorman
    EDIT TO ADD - Vidal Brujan

I'd take Mize if he isn't taken #1. If he is, I'd probably go Paddack or Lux.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Yes, give him lots of opinions!

I will say that one of the two people I'm considering isn't even on your list.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post

AL or NL guy?

Comment

There is no clear top anything this year. It’s not a bad pool of available players but I compare it to the pitching “glob” that Paul often refers to. I have no round 1 or 2 pick this year and thus I haven’t defined a lot of the top-5 per se but I’d personally lean to guys like Lux, Kelenic, India and Gorman I think just based on various write ups I’ve seen. I’m done drafting pitching in RJEL so it would be a hitter 100%.

Bart and Madrigal and “nice” but minor league catchers are only slightly a better choice than pitchers and lack of power concerns me with Madrigal. I actually like what I’ve read on Swaggerty but he’s more back half of top-10.

Comment

Interesting! Do tell!

Comment

well, a couple notes:

1) I'm one of the few teams that still likes pitching prospects, but even then, I don't think I can take one with the first pick. Their perceived value across the league is so low and there are so many trades in the league overall that if you take someone like Mize 1/1 you're pretty committed to waiting for him to reach the majors two years later where if you take a hitter with similar value you can at least trade them this year if you need help.

2) Also what Rick said about catchers.

3) well, I was waffling between Lux and Brujan and Gorman, but the rankings between FG, BP, and Keith Law are really different, even factoring in caring about fielding. Haven't made up my mind yet.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

well, a couple notes:

1) I'm one of the few teams that still likes pitching prospects, but even then, I don't think I can take one with the first pick. Their perceived value across the league is so low and there are so many trades in the league overall that if you take someone like Mize 1/1 you're pretty committed to waiting for him to reach the majors two years later where if you take a hitter with similar value you can at least trade them this year if you need help.

2) Also what Rick said about catchers.

3) well, I was waffling between Lux and Brujan and Gorman, but the rankings between FG, BP, and Keith Law are really different, even factoring in caring about fielding. Haven't made up my mind yet.
                All told, it's a terrible rookie draft on paper as of today.

Comment

Mize, Gorman, Paddack would be my top three. Gorman has the most power potential in the class. Mize is the best arm in the class. Paddack is a good arm with probably the best change up in the minors, and is close to the majors.

If you want a speedster, Brujan is an option too. He is tiny, and to me that is risky, despite the success of other small-ballers. But the guy looks like he will develop into a good contact hitter, and he has great speed. He has a great story too--coming up from abject poverty, he was illiterate just a few years ago, and now he is fluent in multiple languages.
                  Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-17-2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    All told, it's a terrible rookie draft on paper as of today.
                    Maybe I'll feel better wasting 4 rookie picks then. Uggh
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      Maybe I'll feel better wasting 4 rookie picks then. Uggh
                      The problem is, you can't tell anything until 5 years from now. It could be a really deep draft with very good, but not great, players. There's just no Harper at the top of the draft...
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I’m personally really high on Gorman FWIW. Tons of talent, great debut, great org. What’s not to like?

Comment

I also like Gorman a lot but there is plenty not to like. He has a ton of swing and miss in his profile and because he’s a HS player we really won’t know if that’s an issue until he gets to Hi-A if not AA. He’s in a good system but there are plenty of first round picks the Cardinals weren’t able to develop so far from a sure thing and quite a risky profile imo.

Comment

MJL took Gorman #1 overall. I went with India at #2. Paddack went #3 and Kelenic #4.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              MJL took Gorman #1 overall. I went with India at #2. Paddack went #3 and Kelenic #4.
                              I would have taken Paddack #1, and at the very least #2.

Comment

Working...
                              X