#2 Pick in a Rookie Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
    I would have taken Paddack #1, and at the very least #2.
    I'm just wary of the whole pitcher thing, especially with prospects. I've had a few prospect pitchers wiped out with TJ surgery over the years (last year it was AJ Puk), and pitchers are just so easy to find throughout the season. But the prospect hitters who emerge are the gold standard in this league, so I realize India was a reach (as was Gorman), but I was adamant on not taking a pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
      I would have taken Paddack #1, and at the very least #2.
      I think Paddack was the best player, but the extremely high trade volume in this league kind of pushes me toward taking the consensus best pick instead of who I think is the best pick.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
        I think Paddack was the best player, but the extremely high trade volume in this league kind of pushes me toward taking the consensus best pick instead of who I think is the best pick.
        I think that Mize is going to be the best pitcher, and Kelenic the best position player...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          I think that Mize is going to be the best pitcher, and Kelenic the best position player...
          Yeah, but Paddack's prxomity to the majors means something too. Paddack is ready.

Comment

I think Paddack's double-plus command gives him added stability, and he's already successfully returned from TJ, so it's out of the way for now. Factor in his Petco advantage, and likely amazing whip and it's a pretty drool worthy package. Even though I also loathe pitching prospects. I recall the last batch of Padres future aces didn't really pan out, and they had 4-5 at that time as well. So the Padres have a high SP fail rate, but in a small sample size over recent years.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

In case anyone cares, here's the order of selections thus far:

Player Pos Team
              Round 1:
              Nolan Gorman 3B STL
              Jonathan India 3B CIN
              Chris Paddack P SD
              Jarred Kelenic OF SEA
              Nick Madigral 2B CHW
              Vidal Brujan 2B TAM
              Gavin Lux SS LAD
              Alec Bohm 3B PHI
              Casey Mize P DET
              ONeill Cruz SS PIT
              Drew Waters OF ATL
              Nicky Lopez SS KC
              Joey Bart C SF
              Grant Lavigne 1B COL
              Nate Lowe 1B TAM
              Kevin Smith SS TOR
              Trevor Larnach OF MIN
              Jordan Groshans 3B TOR

Round 2:
              Nico Hoerner SS CHC
              Travis Swaggerty OF PIT
              Victor Victor Mesa OF MIA
              Kristian Robinson OF ARZ
              Seth Beer OF HOU
              Jordyn Adams OF LAA
              Oscar Mercado OF CLE
              Dustin May P LAD
              FORFEITED
              Malcom Nunez 1B STL
              Hudson Potts 3B SD
              Marco Luciano SS SF
              Cavan Biggio MI TOR
              FORFEITED
              Luis Patino P SD
              Antonio Cabella OF NYY
              Kevin Alcantara OF NYY
              Shervyen Newton SS NYM

Round 3:
              FORFEITED
              Julio Pablo Martinez OF TEX
              FORFEITED
              Tyler Wade 2B NYY
              FORFEITED
              Franklin Perez P DET
              Brice Turang SS MIL
              Matthew Liberatore P TAM
              Xavier Edward SS TAM
              Enyel de los Santos P PHI
              Blake Perkins OF KC
              Greyson Jenista OF ATL
              Triston Casas 3B BOS
              Brayan Rocchio SS CLE
              Luis Garcia SS PHI

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                I think Paddack's double-plus command gives him added stability, and he's already successfully returned from TJ, so it's out of the way for now. Factor in his Petco advantage, and likely amazing whip and it's a pretty drool worthy package. Even though I also loathe pitching prospects. I recall the last batch of Padres future aces didn't really pan out, and they had 4-5 at that time as well. So the Padres have a high SP fail rate, but in a small sample size over recent years.
                Man, I've owned Pads pitchers from Casey Kelly to Baez, to Quantrill...I still own Morejon as well. None have panned out in my recollection. Not to say the current crop isn't going to, but their track record seems to be anecdotally pretty bad.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't remember that fucker I drafted first in my first RJEL minors draft but he didn't go anywhere either.

edit: Matt Wisler
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                  X