Strike Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strike Coming?

Players are getting exasperated at the slowness of free agency. Collusion is feared. Teams seem to be using the same algorithms to determine player value. Adam Wainwright says he fears for a mid-season walkout:

I'll believe it when I see it.

I understand why the players are frustrated, and there is a whiff of collusion beyond just getting smarter about overpaying good-but-over-30 players. but I think the owners are at a sweet spot, where the amounts the players do make is just too much to blow off.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I think that would be incredibly unwise. With the waning popularity of baseball, a strike would push fans away permanently and this time they may not be able to recover. If they don't like contracts now, wait until those big TV deals dry up because there's no ad revenue for a sport whose median fan age is 55.

Comment

So, Bryce Harper turning down $300 million over 10 years means collusion by the owners? That's going to be a big part of the owners argument.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't see it happening until the CBA expires. It would be tough for a players consensus before then, and it is trickier legally, too. Unless the owners make some concessions for the next CBA, I would assume there will be a strike/lock-out then.

Comment

Working...
          X