Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injured Players 2019: Who to Exclude and Downgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured Players 2019: Who to Exclude and Downgrade?

It's still very early, but players have reported to camp. The annual Russian roulette with the IR list has begun. This thread is about players with serious concerns that were not reported over the winter. Also post new injuries as they come up.

Is there anyone already?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Lindor of course.
    Bregman might miss some time

Comment

Lindor is still draftable in the early going. He went #9 in LABR mixed. Bregman went #25. Neither has fallen much in ADP.

Shohei Ohtani is hurting from the pitching arm surgery. His ADP was around #100 at the first of the year. It's now #175ish.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Strange that Ohtani dropped so much more. So far, so good from him. Anyone drafting him thinking he would be available on opening day were crazy. For others, Arrieta had surgery earlier that was just announced, IIRC, but it was just a meniscus surgery, so he should be fine for opening day. I wasn't touching him anyway, so it doesn't affect him for me.

Comment

Lindor dropped from 5-ish to 9-ish. Bregman from 10-ish to 18-ish. In proportion, 100-ish to 175-ish isn't so much different, ie a logarithmic or inverse exponential distribution of talent. Since major league players are already the extreme end of a bell curve, that fits.

J
          Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-15-2019, 10:12 PM.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

That makes sense, but the key is that Ohtani's injury was already known.

Comment

Gregory Polanco was originally projected to return from shoulder surgery anywhere from 7-9 months (mid-April to mid-June). He is already hitting without restrictions and has just begun a throwing program. Early reports say he could be back by the end of April. The Pirates play their first 2 games at an AL park in Texas on April 30 & May 1. So, maybe he can start out as a DH for that short series after presumably being a DH in the minors for the beginning of their season.

edit: I guess i'm saying don't exclude Polanco.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                That makes sense, but the key is that Ohtani's injury was already known.
                Maybe. It was not clear in December that he would not even be swinging a bat by now.

Polanco also makes sense in the same vein. I guess there is nothing really major yer.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Uh-oh. Carlos Martinez is experiencing shoulder soreness again. No structural damage found on the MRI. But, he has been shut down for two weeks.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Good to know.
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I am bumping this for Jose Castillo, who has tightness in his forearm. Hopefully not TJ, but I've got a bad feeling.

Is anyone else suddenly shy worthy?

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Salvador Perez, C KC
                        Probably done for 2019
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Luis Severino shut down two weeks, per Rotoworld. He's likely out all of April.

Clayton Kershaw is not going to be ready for opening day.

Miguel Sano out two months.

Anyone else that's dinged?

J
                          Last edited by onejayhawk; 03-05-2019, 06:48 PM.
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Half of the Braves staff. Folty has a balky elbow that they are being conservative with although he said he would pitch through it in the regular season. Gausman and Gohara has sore shoulders. Neither is said to be serious, but who knows? Soroka's should is an issue and that seems more serious, he will not be ready for the start of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              Half of the Braves staff. Folty has a balky elbow that they are being conservative with although he said he would pitch through it in the regular season. Gausman and Gohara has sore shoulders. Neither is said to be serious, but who knows? Soroka's should is an issue and that seems more serious, he will not be ready for the start of the season.
                              Aren't both of those figured into the ADP? My issue with the Braves staff is that they are all looking over their shoulders. The braves AAA roster is better than Texas will run out.

Oops. I'm counting Touki Toussaint as AAA and he's a favorite to make the team. Let's say AAA is as good as the Rangers.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                              X