Looking for an auction spreadsheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an auction spreadsheet

Ive searched all over google for a free excel sheet to track an auction draft as the commissioner without luck. Just looking for something simple where you input players, prices and positions and it keeps track of remaining budget and positions filled/remaining. Does anyone have or know of an excel sheet that can do this? If not, Im just going to resort to doing it the old fashioned way with a pencil and a grid

Thanks

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
    Ive searched all over google for a free excel sheet to track an auction draft as the commissioner without luck. Just looking for something simple where you input players, prices and positions and it keeps track of remaining budget and positions filled/remaining. Does anyone have or know of an excel sheet that can do this? If not, Im just going to resort to doing it the old fashioned way with a pencil and a grid

Thanks
    I can send you one.
    Do you need it to keep track of multi-eligible players or will you handle that manually?
    What is your league format (positions / number of teams)

Comment

Sweet, thanks Ken! I guess I can handle the multi-eligible players manually unless it is easy to do in a program.
      12 teams
      2 catchers, each infield, 1 corner, 1 middle, 5 OF, 2 utility
      10 Pitchers
      5 Bench

$260 budget

Comment

Sweet, thanks Ken! I guess I can handle the multi-eligible players manually unless it is easy to do in a program.
        12 teams
        2 catchers, each infield, 1 corner, 1 middle, 5 OF, 2 utility
        10 Pitchers
        5 Bench

$260 budget
        No problem - Do your bench players count towards the 260?

Comment

No the bench is done by snake draft at the end. They have 5,4,3,2,1 salary. I can just input that at the bottom if it messes things up.

Comment

No the bench is done by snake draft at the end. They have 5,4,3,2,1 salary. I can just input that at the bottom if it messes things up.
            Here's a VERY basic data entry sheet for you. There's all kinds of features we can add if you need them but it sounds like a Keep It Simple Solution was best here.

To "auction" a player, just enter his price and name in the column under the team (in the row corresponding to the position - colored just for easy lookup horizontally).

A word of caution, there's very few formulas here, but in between each team there's a formula that checks if a price has been input. If it has then it gets set to 1 and increases your player's auctioned count. If you delete data across multiple teams (i.e. select the whole auction area and delete), don't forget you are deleting those hidden formulas too. Otherwise have at it, download it and play around with it.

Let me know if you have any issues.

We can add valuation models, and positional lookups, and player lists, and quick searches, all kinds of features if you need them.

Or we can just go all the way to a web app which is what I've done but that may be too complex

Comment

Nice...thanks Ken. Gonna input some keepers now and see how it goes. You da man!

Comment

I used the old RJ spreadsheet for years and years before finally caving in and getting RotoLab. The old one should work perfect if it still exists anywhere (alas, that computer of mine is long since kaput).

Comment

Impressive Ken. Is your web app able to keep up with auctions’ speed?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                    Impressive Ken. Is your web app able to keep up with auctions’ speed?
                    Yes, I type two or 3 letters and it preselects a list of options, I press enter to select the player. I click a team name, it prompts for a price I type in two numbers and click enter. For me it is much faster than paper for data entry. I'll give you guys some screen shots from last year.

Comment

Nice...thanks Ken. Gonna input some keepers now and see how it goes. You da man!
                      Ken is the man. I've seen this program work, and it is pretty amazing.
                      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Here's some screenshots of my software. I have not updated it for 2019, so these are all 2018 stats and projections:

First, I have this setup where I can switch between leagues. I can run several different formats - drafts/auctions/mixed leagues/only leagues, and I can navigate between them in the preseason quickly:

This is the main draft page where I have a list of all players who are draftable, a list of the teams at the top and their stats (players, money, etc), a list of my own roster for reference, and then the top players at every position. I can filter the player list by position, sort by categories, or quickly search for a player

When I click on a player I can get more details - stat history and player news/notes:

I have a quick note pad where I can jot down notes or keep a history of my plan for a particular auction, and edit by hand if needed:

Comment

Then I have scenarios, these are fun. I have a projected standings that I'm trying to hit and I can see exactly where I'm at vs those standings. Then I have a scenario tool - everytime a player goes off the board I update the scenarios for a) On the right, what I call "magical christmas land" - the perfect scenario should I have infinite funds (this is most relevant in dollar days). And b) On the left, based on ADP the best scenario for adding to my team that is realistic.

The scenarios use previous year standings and compare projected stats for my team and how they would line up. They look at all players in my player universe and determine the best fit for every spot in the lineup. Due to the computing power needed for that on each iteration, I run this on gaming laptop. If I was guaranteed internet connectivity then I'd just run it easily on a server but I don't take that risk, sometimes the locations we draft in dont have wifi, so I need the engine to be local.

On the next tab I have fantasy rosters for each team. This looks ALOT like the spreadsheet I just gave Pauly but its in my web app rather than excel. It allows me to scan through and see what teams need what positions quickly:

After rosters I have standings. This is just the current standings based on players picked so far (both on projected standings for current year, and as a sanity check, standings based on if this years stats were exactly the same as last year's real stats)

My "top stats" tab is useful, it shows the top players for each category based on projected stats, last year, and even this year (some of my auctions run after the season starts and I use this to poach cheap wins and saves in the reserve rounds)

Comment

Next I have MLB rosters where I can scroll through the current rosters for every team, looking for starters near the end of the auction if I'm having trouble filling a position

My "Lists" tab has a couple of lists. One is a list of top prospects and a writeup of each, and the next is a list of closers and setup men, useful in deep leagues to find those useful saves.

That's it! When done I have the data in a SQLServer database which I can quickly query out to build a list of players who need to be added on the team site, which makes commish duties a little easier.

I wish I could give this tool out. Some of it is hard coded with a few settings that I use in EVERY league (for example all my leagues use the same set of positions, C/C/1B/2B etc, so that's not dynamic). And like I said above I currently run this on a local SQL instance, so sqlserver express is a pre-requisite, and that's difficult for anyone non technical to install/setup. Ideally I could package this using a smaller database engine, or put it online for those who WILL have wifi capabilities in an auction, but I haven't gotten there yet (those are really not that hard honestly maybe I'll get to it this year).

Comment

Wow.....that's all

Comment

Working...
                              X