NFBC Draft Champions - RJ entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
    since then, Pham, Seager, Murphy, Suarez. If Clevinger or Taillon or Flaherty gets back to us I will be thrilled. Eight picks to go.
    Tailon goes, but next two guys have 2 SP's so let's assume they don't take SP's so 5 picks. to go. Someone will probably bite on Stras, I guess my question that we didn't talk about much since I think we assumed Stras would go is where do we rank him?

By ADP they have it has Flaherty, Stras, Clev, and Greinke. If they were all to go I am not sure we take Berrios yet, maybe we look at getting the closer of our choice. Anyway the picks will probably help tell us what to do.

Comment

• for what it's worth, Sporer has them Clevinger, Price, Strasburg, (gap), Greinke, Wheeler, Berrios, Flaherty; Nick Pollack (pitcherlist) has them Clevinger, Wheeler, Strasburg, Greinke, Flaherty, Price, Berrios.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Im not a Price lover....seems too high for Berrios where we are. I also dont want to be married to the NY Mets (Wheeler). I hate having to root for them (I know, I know). Holding out hope for Clev/Flaherty.

Comment

• Springer and Cain go to the guys with 2 SP's. 4 picks before us now and all 3 are built as 3 hitters and 1 SP. They could go closer, SP, or load up on hitting.

Comment

• Stras vs. Greinke. I feel like Greinke is the safer of the two. A Thor/Stras 1-2 carries so much risk. I guess we are dead if we lose either one anyway, but I would lean Greinke. Everyone forgets how solid he is year-in, year-out. I'd still rather have Flaherty than both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Stras vs. Greinke. I feel like Greinke is the safer of the two. A Thor/Stras 1-2 carries so much risk. I guess we are dead if we lose either one anyway, but I would lean Greinke. Everyone forgets how solid he is year-in, year-out. I'd still rather have Flaherty than both.
              Just an FYI, Greinke hasn't reported to camp yet...he's supposedly healthy, but IIRC, his velocity was down last year, and Arizona is going to be worse as a team.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Just an FYI, Greinke hasn't reported to camp yet...he's supposedly healthy, but IIRC, his velocity was down last year, and Arizona is going to be worse as a team.
                Other than the team being bad, this is the same old story for Greinke. Every year he reports late, every year his velo is down in ST and every year he slips in drafts because of it. Ive made a lot of profit off of his spring velocity in the past 3 years. All that said, he went before we had the chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  Stras vs. Greinke. I feel like Greinke is the safer of the two. A Thor/Stras 1-2 carries so much risk. I guess we are dead if we lose either one anyway, but I would lean Greinke. Everyone forgets how solid he is year-in, year-out. I'd still rather have Flaherty than both.
                  We’re not “dead” due to a lower than planned sp2 if it plays out like that. We should avoid picks due to panic like that. Really good base has been built for this team. May require more pitching hits later but this team is not “dead” based on a 5th round pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    We’re not “dead” due to a lower than planned sp2 if it plays out like that. We should avoid picks due to panic like that. Really good base has been built for this team. May require more pitching hits later but this team is not “dead” based on a 5th round pick.
                    I meant if we lose Thor or Stras in-season we would be dead...or in big trouble.

Comment

• Well everyone in front of us avoided the closer run and put us to a tough choice. With three guys behind us who only have 1 pitcher between them we know pitching will go. Only 2 of the elite closers are gone and we see 3 more elite closers (Kimbrel, Jansen, and Chapman) and we also agree on Vazquez or Osuna as a good fall back plan if all 3 go. So after some debate if we wanted to gamble on an SP coming back we decided to take Berrios and see what the back end does with closer. Even in a dooms day scencario where someone doubles up with closer we should still get one of our guys and hopefully that pressures the front half of the draft to panic on closers.

So our sp 2 at 5.12 is Jose Berrios and the plan is to take a closer coming back around at 6.4.

Comment

• The back end of the draft continue to ignore pitching. After us they took

Villar
                        Rosario
                        Peraza
                        Castellanos
                        Dahl
                        Price

So between the 3 teams they now have 2 total pitchers. Gonna be interesting to see how it goes there. So all 3 closers came back to us. We settled on Jansen.

SS Lindor
                        OF Yelich
                        UT K Davis

SP Thor
                        SP Berrios
                        CL Jansen

Now to wait and see what comes back around.

Comment

• Nice start!

Comment

• The teams in slots 13-15 still have very few pitchers so our default plan is to take pitcher in the odd numbered rounds and hitters in the even. That combined with most of the interesting multipositional players around our ADP going right before us (Myers, Carpenter, Shaw in the four picks before us) and one of the last SPs we really liked still being available worked out.

SS Lindor
                            OF Yelich
                            UT K Davis

SP Thor
                            SP Berrios
                            SP Mikolas
                            CL Jansen

we're discussing Haniger vs Upton for our next pick.
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Madbum and Folty, the two pitchers we were discussing along with Mikolas, went in the 2 picks immediately after us.

Comment

• Untitled-1.jpg

The latest draft board. Most are on board with best offensive player available at this point, although the drop-off at 1B and 2B are concerns. If anyone wants to take a stab at the thought process of team 15, that would be interesting. We are team 12.

Comment

Working...
                                X