So I cheated on my taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I cheated on my taxes

I was filling out my taxes early in turbotax, and I got to my interest from one of my brokerage accounts. I went to get the 1099 from them but it said it wouldn't be posted until February 15th. I looked up what I got last year... a whopping $60 and quickly filled in $65 as a place holder, just so I could budget what I would be getting back (out of work right now, so the return will be a nice cushion). I intended to update it after i got the official 1099. I finished my taxes, and then turbo tax asked me if I wanted to file, and I glitched and said, Of course! I just got the 1099 and the actual value is $75!

Is this something I should at all be concerned about? I mean, will it throw a flag and delay anything?
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I was filling out my taxes early in turbotax, and I got to my interest from one of my brokerage accounts. I went to get the 1099 from them but it said it wouldn't be posted until February 15th. I looked up what I got last year... a whopping $60 and quickly filled in $65 as a place holder, just so I could budget what I would be getting back (out of work right now, so the return will be a nice cushion). I intended to update it after i got the official 1099. I finished my taxes, and then turbo tax asked me if I wanted to file, and I glitched and said, Of course! I just got the 1099 and the actual value is $75!

Is this something I should at all be concerned about? I mean, will it throw a flag and delay anything?
    send me a bitcoin immediately or I'll rat you out to the feds!
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post

IIRC, the tax tables tax income in increments of $50, so chances are about 80% that it won't matter for your actual assessed tax.

And of course I'm not an expert in this, but I think the IRS will simply send you a correction and notice of additional tax due, if any. Or if you were getting a refund, they'll just automatically take it out of your refund before they give it to you. If it goes past April 15 before you find it, then you might owe a small penalty on top of the additional tax. I'm not sure whether it's more hassle for you to cross your fingers and hope you don't owe anything and absorb the penalty if you do, or to file an amended return. You can always file an amended return before April 15 and avoid any penalty.

Hmmm...now that I think about it. If you go into TurboTax, and change the interest amount from $65 to $75, does it say that your tax owed (or refund amount) change at all?
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Sounds like you’re going to pound me in the ass prison

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
          Sounds like you’re going to pound me in the ass prison
          The danger of omitting hyphens; I read this probably not as you intended. \

Comment

You can always modify three years of prior taxes, if this is still weighing on your conscience next year.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Nicely played.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                You can always modify three years of prior taxes, if this is still weighing on your conscience next year.
                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  I only have one question about this......what's a conscience?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                    I only have one question about this......what's a conscience?
                    its like a little green bug, smash it when you see it!

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      its like a little green bug, smash it when you see it!
                      Like this?:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                        Like this?:

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          Hmmm...now that I think about it. If you go into TurboTax, and change the interest amount from $65 to $75, does it say that your tax owed (or refund amount) change at all?
                          So I did this, and I owe the fed (or would be getting Less of a return) $1 more...

Do I need to correct this?
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                          X