Where will Craig Kimbrel sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    LOL. I assume they'd give him the 8th inning, at least.

Edit to add: Hasn't his team been citing the Britton deal pretty incessantly as a baseline? I don't know that he'd be averse to being a set-up man like Britton or Hader for a contending team...assuming the Yanks can get back into contention.
    I don't think Kimbrel would shave for the Britton deal.

Also, if someone would just sit down with Aaron Boone and tell him to back off Chad Green for a bit, I think their bullpen would be OK. Britton looks shaky, but they've still got Holder who Boone never uses, and I have to think they have a bunch of guys in AAA who could be good 1-inning guys if they gave them a chance. Developing 1-inning fastball/slider guys is kind of their thing.

Comment

Kimbrel is a ninth inning guy just about anywhere he goes. Not everywhere, but over 95% IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
        Kimbrel is a ninth inning guy just about anywhere he goes. Not everywhere, but over 95% IMO.
        Of course. I couldn't imagine any team other than the Yankees trying to sign him for any role other than 9th inning closer duties. But I just have the sense that Kimbrel is more interested in the dollars and the years that he's offered. If the Yankees are the highest bidder for his services, I don't think he'd take a smaller deal just on a promise that he'll be used in the traditional closer role, whereas the Yanks would presumably ask him to set up Chapman given Chapman's tenure with the team.

Comment

Of course. I couldn't imagine any team other than the Yankees trying to sign him for any role other than 9th inning closer duties. But I just have the sense that Kimbrel is more interested in the dollars and the years that he's offered. If the Yankees are the highest bidder for his services, I don't think he'd take a smaller deal just on a promise that he'll be used in the traditional closer role, whereas the Yanks would presumably ask him to set up Chapman given Chapman's tenure with the team.
          Yes, that would be a nightmare landing spot for fantasy owners, but they are few and far between.

Comment

He wants a multi-year deal, and I'd be stunned if he settled for a set-up job for the next couple of years. He has the potential to become one of the greatest closers in history and he's showing no signs of slowing down. He needs just 67 more saves for 400, and he's 4-5 years away from the 500 plateau, which would pretty much mean enshrinement on Cooperstown. I doubt he tosses that legacy away because the Yanks need middle relief help.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              He wants a multi-year deal, and I'd be stunned if he settled for a set-up job for the next couple of years. He has the potential to become one of the greatest closers in history and he's showing no signs of slowing down. He needs just 67 more saves for 400, and he's 4-5 years away from the 500 plateau, which would pretty much mean enshrinement on Cooperstown. I doubt he tosses that legacy away because the Yanks need middle relief help.
              Great point. The doors may have opened to closers these days, but he won't get credit for elite middle relief numbers in an attempt at the hall, unless there is a big change years down the road. I'm also sure he would not settle for a middle relief role.

Comment

Agree he wants a multi-year deal and has been an elite all-time closer, but not as sure about no signs of slowing down. He appeared to be a different pitcher in the second half and in the playoffs last year. It's possible it was an aberration but I think this is the crux of the issue: he feels like he's in his prime as an all-time great closer and should be paid accordingly and skeptical front offices are being cautious based on what they saw in the second half and perhaps based on their overall valuations of closers and the kinds of contracts they deserve.

Comment

I doubt he accept anything but a closer job. What I'm reading is Kimbrel would settle for a 3 yr deal close to Wade Davis contract of of 3 yr and 52 mil. If a team offers him 3yrs 60 million one would think that might work. If teams are not offering that deal then it comes down to who blinks first. Not a big follower of the AL but NL Phillies, Braves and Brewers are all considered contenders and even if Kimbrel is slowing down he could make a huge impact on any of those teams.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                    I doubt he accept anything but a closer job. What I'm reading is Kimbrel would settle for a 3 yr deal close to Wade Davis contract of of 3 yr and 52 mil. If a team offers him 3yrs 60 million one would think that might work. If teams are not offering that deal then it comes down to who blinks first. Not a big follower of the AL but NL Phillies, Braves and Brewers are all considered contenders and even if Kimbrel is slowing down he could make a huge impact on any of those teams.
                    any team which signs kimbrel to something similar to 3yrs/52mil is going to regret it

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      any team which signs kimbrel to something similar to 3yrs/52mil is going to regret it
                      Right! Who blinks first? Kimbrel or team that signs him?

Comment

Why do you say this?

Agree he wants a multi-year deal and has been an elite all-time closer, but not as sure about no signs of slowing down. He appeared to be a different pitcher in the second half and in the playoffs last year. It's possible it was an aberration but I think this is the crux of the issue: he feels like he's in his prime as an all-time great closer and should be paid accordingly and skeptical front offices are being cautious based on what they saw in the second half and perhaps based on their overall valuations of closers and the kinds of contracts they deserve.
                        It feels like he's been around for ages, but he's just 31 years old. His velocity is still the same as it's always been. The walk rate got higher, but I don't see the need for extreme caution here.

Comment

Why do you say this?

It feels like he's been around for ages, but he's just 31 years old. His velocity is still the same as it's always been. The walk rate got higher, but I don't see the need for extreme caution here.

mostly because he'll be playing catch up having missed a significant portion of this season plus the pre-season.

Comment

mostly because he'll be playing catch up having missed a significant portion of this season plus the pre-season.
                            I think the teams that sign him mostly need him to be back to Craig Kimbrel for the stretch run and post season, not necessarily in May/June.

Comment

Seriously doubt there will be issues like Holland last season but signing a 3 yr contract could be great for all 3 seasons but maybe he slows down this season and next then 3rd season becomes more of a risk. A team like the Phillies has to look at Kimbrel being the difference to getting to the WS.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                                Seriously doubt there will be issues like Holland last season but signing a 3 yr contract could be great for all 3 seasons but maybe he slows down this season and next then 3rd season becomes more of a risk. A team like the Phillies has to look at Kimbrel being the difference to getting to the WS.
                                :like:

Comment

Working...
                                X