Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    principle is an expensive thing
    I look for a contender to make a play soon, but maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
      I can't believe he hasn't signed somewhere yet. Is this coming soon or not?
      I agree. At this point, it's possible he and Keuchel are waiting until after the June Amateur Draft to sign, so they won't be tied to draft pick compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I agree. At this point, it's possible he and Keuchel are waiting until after the June Amateur Draft to sign, so they won't be tied to draft pick compensation.
        That might be what teams are waiting for but apparently are not willing to pay his demands. In the NL teams (AL not familiar) that could use him are Atl, Phi, Was, Chi, Mil and Stl. I don't think any of those teams will open their pocket books to meet his demands but I could see a 1 yr contract with Kimbrel hitting the FA for next season. Maybe the surprise signing might be the Dodgers saying F...this Jansen & Kimbrel looks good in the 8/9 innings.

Comment

I'm with you on this point...I mentioned a few weeks ago that teams would be hesitant to give up that pick for a closer who A: wanted too big a contract, and B: just wasn't very good last year. Lets not forget that they called on a somewhat less than fully healthy Sale to close out the WS last year, not Kimbrel.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

2.74 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 13.9 K/9 42-for-47 in saves isn't very good? Gimme a break. Yes, he was worn out in the post-season, but he's still easily a top-tier closer.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              2.74 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 13.9 K/9 42-for-47 in saves isn't very good? Gimme a break. Yes, he was worn out in the post-season, but he's still easily a top-tier closer.
              Is he? I'm not convinced after watching him in the post season miss the plate at an alarming rate. And it seems like the clubs who can use a closer may be skeptical as well.

Don't get me wrong, he's still deserving of closing for a dozen teams, but he's just not going to get that mega contract, or even a Wade Davis deal.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Is he? I'm not convinced after watching him in the post season miss the plate at an alarming rate. And it seems like the clubs who can use a closer may be skeptical as well.

Don't get me wrong, he's still deserving of closing for a dozen teams, but he's just not going to get that mega contract, or even a Wade Davis deal.
                I would be surprised if Kimbrel got more than a one-year deal at this point. And even that becomes half of a contract if it is only for three months. So, Kimbrel's $18 million demand turns into a $9 million deal.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah... I don't see how he convinces anyone to give him a 5-year deal after sitting out the whole year. So I expect he'll sign in late June, or maybe closer to the trade deadline, on a 1-year deal. Maybe a 1-year deal with a crazy high team option for a 2nd year.

Comment

From RW.

Jon Paul Morosi of MLB.com reports that free agent closer Craig Kimbrel is "moving closer" to a decision on where to sign.
                    Morosi qualifies the report by writing that "the situation remains sufficiently fluid " and there's "no clear favorite" to sign Kimbrel. It's not hard to think about the teams which could use him the most, though. For what it's worth, Morosi hears that the Brewers are among the teams who have recently spoken with Kimbrel’s agent, David Meter. The club is now without Corey Knebel following Tommy John surgery, though Jeremy Jeffress is set to come off the injured list on Tuesday. The Braves, who just put Arodys Vizcaino on the IL with more shoulder problems, are another logical destination. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported over the weekend that Kimbrel was looking for a deal in the range of the recent contracts sign by Wade Davis (three years, $52 million) and Zack Britton (three years, $39 million).

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                      From RW.
                      Take your time, Craig, only 10% of the season has passed. Nearly every NFL free agent has already signed. What's the rush?

Comment

Braves - lost Vizcaino
                        Brewers - lost Knebel
                        Phillies - lost Robertson
                        Nats - Trevor Rosenthal literally had the worst start to a season ever. His ERA is finally below infinity, though...

Twins and Red Sox - both bullpens seem mostly OK I guess

Comment

Take your time, Craig, only 10% of the season has passed. Nearly every NFL free agent has already signed. What's the rush?
                          which likely translates to somewhere between $1.5-2M if he had taken a one-year contract ... so I gotta think he's seriously questioning the advice he's been getting
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Would the Yankees jump into this given the Betances injury and Chad Green's underperformance to restore the dominance of their bullpen? Ottavino-Britton-Kimbrel-Chapman would be pretty intimidating if the starter can hand the ball over after five innings tied or in the lead.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              Would the Yankees jump into this given the Betances injury and Chad Green's underperformance to restore the dominance of their bullpen? Ottavino-Britton-Kimbrel-Chapman would be pretty intimidating if the starter can hand the ball over after five innings tied or in the lead.
                              I doubt Kimbrel's ego will allow him to be a 6th inning guy. He's not that desperate.

Comment

I doubt Kimbrel's ego will allow him to be a 6th inning guy. He's not that desperate.
                                LOL. I assume they'd give him the 8th inning, at least.

Edit to add: Hasn't his team been citing the Britton deal pretty incessantly as a baseline? I don't know that he'd be averse to being a set-up man like Britton or Hader for a contending team...assuming the Yanks can get back into contention.

Comment

Working...
                                X