AL keepers - which ones make the cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL keepers - which ones make the cut?

I've got a decent crop of keepers in my 10-team AL 5x5. It's early still but I'm speculating as to who would make my final cut (can keep 8) if I don't make any pre-season trades. The main question is do I keep a couple of low-end closers in Givens and W.Peralta, an $8 Kyle Tucker who might not get enough playing time now, or some mediocre pitchers for a bit of profit. I was surprised to see some of the pretty low $-values for the closers on Fangraph's auction calculator - in my league even the "bad" closers, if named closer at least, would go for ~$12-15 (saves are annoying). Anyways, what do you think? Can keep through "C" contract year. Inflation usually around 20-20%. For reference, Trout goes for $50, Sale goes for $40+.

Top 4:
    $5A A Mondesi
    $8A J Villar
    $5A T Pham
    $25B C Carrasco - many of the top starters are likely to be kept, expect he'd go for $35ish

Next crop, choose 4:
    $5A M Givens - probably locked in as closer, but disappointing '18. Trade bait?
    $1A M Gonzales - has some potential, but not overwhelming
    $5A T Glasnow - higher ceiling/lower floor? sexier pick, has shown he has the stuff if he can harness it...
    $5A C McHugh - will he stick in rotation? Will his stuff work in rotation or revert back to "bad" McHugh, or get stuck in relief role?
    $5A W Peralta - how long does he keep the job? 3 weeks? 6 weeks? Lucky 2018?
    $8A K Tucker - potental stud but also potential bench warmer.
    $1B R Chirinos - catchers are always overpriced, he's probably worth about $10 but not an exciting pick and no 2020 keeper value.

Since KC signed Boxberger is Peralta still closing?

I'd keep Marco, Givens, Glasnow and mcHugh and try to get Tucker back on a new contract (I really like him).

Comment

Hmmm... good point, I hadn't noticed the Box signing yet. That definitely bumps Wily down below the threshold I think. I love Tucker too, but bet someone will bid him up to the $12-$15 range out of prospect hype. If not, I'll try to get him back for <$10 I think.

Is it just me, or is catcher in the AL atrocious this year? Kevin Plawecki? Austin Wynns? Grayson Greiner? Who are these people that someone will have to pay $1 for?

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
        Hmmm... good point, I hadn't noticed the Box signing yet. That definitely bumps Wily down below the threshold I think. I love Tucker too, but bet someone will bid him up to the $12-$15 range out of prospect hype. If not, I'll try to get him back for <$10 I think.

Is it just me, or is catcher in the AL atrocious this year? Kevin Plawecki? Austin Wynns? Grayson Greiner? Who are these people that someone will have to pay $1 for?
        Yeah... teams that don't care really don't invest in catcher bats, I guess. Might be time to spend several dollars chasing Austin Romine? Or spend double digits on Blake Swihart? Yeesh.

Comment

$5A M Givens - probably locked in as closer, but disappointing '18. Trade bait?
          $1A M Gonzales - has some potential, but not overwhelming
          $5A T Glasnow - higher ceiling/lower floor? sexier pick, has shown he has the stuff if he can harness it...
          $5A C McHugh - will he stick in rotation? Will his stuff work in rotation or revert back to "bad" McHugh, or get stuck in relief role?

$5A W Peralta - how long does he keep the job? 3 weeks? 6 weeks? Lucky 2018?
          $8A K Tucker - potental stud but also potential bench warmer.
          $1B R Chirinos - catchers are always overpriced, he's probably worth about $10 but not an exciting pick and no 2020 keeper value.

Comment

What do you guys dislike about Gonzales, especially with the extra few bucks saved? FG's projections all put him a handful of spots above Glasnow and McHugh with my league's (standard) parameters. Not as exciting I guess, but if you believe the projections the value appears to be there... what am I missing?

Comment

Agree with JC.

$5A M Givens
              $1A M Gonzales
              $5A T Glasnow
              $5A C McHugh
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                What do you guys dislike about Gonzales, especially with the extra few bucks saved? FG's projections all put him a handful of spots above Glasnow and McHugh with my league's (standard) parameters. Not as exciting I guess, but if you believe the projections the value appears to be there... what am I missing?
                Having owned him and watched him pitch when his stuff crosses the thin line between the guys who have great control but not great stuff and get away with it and cannon fodder? He's so close to that line, I have no clue. Is he legit good or is he Josh Towers? I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                X