Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: *** VD 14 History Thread ***

ONA has almost no noteworthy hitters, and a small handful of noteworthy pitchers, including Candy Cummings and George Zettlein.

OEF has Dan Brouthers, Jack Glasscock, Hardy Richardson, Paul Hines, Deacon White, George Bradley, Pud Galvin, Jim McCormick, Hoss Radbourn, Charlie Sweeney, Lady Baldwin, Jim Devlin, and John Montgomery Ward.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Here is the franchise table that I used for VD 13 on the old site:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...RQMHVod2VrUnhJ
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Here is the franchise table that I used for VD 13 on the old site:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...RQMHVod2VrUnhJ
    That league Id column was interesting. Could that be used to add to a letter decade draft ... Letter Decade League draft. Is there enough juice in the lesser leagues to make that a sub category some time in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    This was our list of franchises. I'll see if I can dig up the reference to which franchises went into OEF and ONA.
    I think ONA was the National Association teams and OEF was Other Early Franchises? I think it was a catch-all.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by heyelander View Post
    I think ONA was the National Association teams and OEF was Other Early Franchises? I think it was a catch-all.

I really like that King Kelly has a professional team that was called the "Cincinnati Kelly's Killers"

Here's the guys with the 7th and 8th best WARs for the team:

Charlie Bell:

John Slagle:

Nickname
    Baldwin was given the nickname "Lady" because of his "quiet ways" and his refusal to swear or to come into contact with either tobacco or liquor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Baldwin

Not nearly as attractive as Bieber's girl.

I really like that King Kelly has a professional team that was called the "Cincinnati Kelly's Killers"

Here's the guys with the 7th and 8th best WARs for the team:

Charlie Bell:

John Slagle:

"As the season progressed, Mike Kelly and his killers found themselves in jail frequently as a result of attempting to play baseball on Sundays. At the time, the National League did not allow Sunday baseball games to be played. As a result, the rival Association capitalized on this by having their teams play Sunday games. The problem for Cincinnati was that the city had the blue law in place which also disallowed Sunday games. Owners of the club made repeated attempts at playing games on Sundays. Sometimes the Mayor of Cincinnati, Mayor John B. Mosby, would enforce the law and other times he would not. When the Mayor did enforce the law, the Killers and the players from the opposing team found themselves in jail."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincin...ly%27s_Killers

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    "As the season progressed, Mike Kelly and his killers found themselves in jail frequently as a result of attempting to play baseball on Sundays. At the time, the National League did not allow Sunday baseball games to be played. As a result, the rival Association capitalized on this by having their teams play Sunday games. The problem for Cincinnati was that the city had the blue law in place which also disallowed Sunday games. Owners of the club made repeated attempts at playing games on Sundays. Sometimes the Mayor of Cincinnati, Mayor John B. Mosby, would enforce the law and other times he would not. When the Mayor did enforce the law, the Killers and the players from the opposing team found themselves in jail."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincin...ly%27s_Killers
    You would think we would have mug shots of more of the players then...