Live and in-person auction drafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Neither myself or anyone else in my league would ever want to change to a snake draft. Yuck.
    Oops, my bad. People kept calling it a draft, so I got confused. Of course, you were talking about an auctioneer, which sort of gave it away. Gotta do that one live if you can.

Comment

If you do 1 owner away online this year, you'll find more away next year, not because in-person isn't fun, it'll just be an easy excuse not to be there. Keep the magic of an in-person non automated auction alive for as long as you can, as it's worth the effort!

Comment

while everyone in person is preferred, we've had owners auction from their hospital bed and we've had an remote owner pass out, get assaulted by their live-in girlfriend, have the police show up, take her away, then return to the auction.
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          while everyone in person is preferred, we've had owners auction from their hospital bed and we've had an remote owner pass out, get assaulted by their live-in girlfriend, have the police show up, take her away, then return to the auction.
          Wow.

So did you stay with the girlfriend or was she just too crazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Wow.

very nice.....
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

One year in our league, Mith suffered a detached retina just a day or two before the auction and had to draft by speaker phone with his eyes closed. It provided some funny moments for us. Whenever the draft room would get quiet for too long the silence would always be broken by his voice yelling from the speaker phone (turned up to maximum volume) "Who the @#$% are we bidding on? How much is the @#$%ing bid?". And the room would burst out in laughter.

Another year we had a guy spend most of his budget on big name players in the first few rounds. So, he was down to dollar days while everyone else still had lots of cash to spend and couldn't outbid anyone. So, he said he was going outside the restaurant to smoke a cigarette and to come get him when it was his turn to nominate a player. When it was his turn he was nowhere to be found. So, one of the guys called his cell phone and asked where he was. He said, "Im at Walmart (on the other side of the plaza). I had some shopping to do." He nominates a guy for $1. Someone immediately bid $2 and Walmart guy says, "Call me back when it's my turn again." And it went on like that for a few more rounds until he came back to the draft.
              Last edited by madducks; 02-12-2019, 10:51 PM.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Another year we had a guy spend most of his budget on big name players in the first few rounds. So, he was down to dollar days while everyone else still had lots of cash to spend and couldn't outbid anyone.
                We have a guy in our league this year who appears to be keeping >$240 of salary such that he'll be down to dollar days from the start of the auction (keeping Goldy, Altuve, Springer, Machado, Seager, Lester, and ~9 others). I'll be interested to see if he tries to throw $2 players and get them for a buck or if he just throws out names for other people to bid on for the first 3-4 hours. Also I feel bad for his pitching staff with Wade LeBlanc locked in as his SP2.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Wow.

I am late to this party, but well played, Ken. But hell, that's why live auctions are so cool. I have no idea what a draft board is, however. Our live auctions have 75% of the league on computers just to keep track of the money, but there is no cheat sheet showing up. We've had, in the limited time I have been in the league (and there may have been worse before), all of the following: a wife owning a separate team as her husband actively assault him during a bidding war (for Alex Wood, the jokes wrote themselves), a player drafting a guy in the reserve round (which is a snake after the auction) that he already had on his roster, Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny drafted (in the reserve round, you can draft anyone), an owner drop out/banned at the site (changing all the values because of one less team) because he was a mess, players auctioned when nobody knows who it is because everyone is still laughing too loud from that happened to the previous player, and a guy who needed to ask a day later who his reserve round picks were because he was too trashed at that point to remember. That's why live auctions are so awesome. Humans are, collectively and more or less individually, a mess, but that's what makes these things so fun.

Comment

I have just as many crazy stories even though we save a couple hours each year by using technology.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      I have just as many crazy stories even though we save a couple hours each year by using technology.
                      It's not the same if you don't have seven people shouting the same bid at the same time or a naturally funny auctioneer trying to draw bids out of everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        It's not the same if you don't have seven people shouting the same bid at the same time or a naturally funny auctioneer trying to draw bids out of everyone.
                        It would be awesome to have a professional auctioneer do our auctions. Something like we see on Mecum Auto Auctions.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          I am late to this party, but well played, Ken. But hell, that's why live auctions are so cool. I have no idea what a draft board is, however. Our live auctions have 75% of the league on computers just to keep track of the money, but there is no cheat sheet showing up. We've had, in the limited time I have been in the league (and there may have been worse before), all of the following: a wife owning a separate team as her husband actively assault him during a bidding war (for Alex Wood, the jokes wrote themselves), a player drafting a guy in the reserve round (which is a snake after the auction) that he already had on his roster, Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny drafted (in the reserve round, you can draft anyone), an owner drop out/banned at the site (changing all the values because of one less team) because he was a mess, players auctioned when nobody knows who it is because everyone is still laughing too loud from that happened to the previous player, and a guy who needed to ask a day later who his reserve round picks were because he was too trashed at that point to remember. That's why live auctions are so awesome. Humans are, collectively and more or less individually, a mess, but that's what makes these things so fun.
                          We had a owner who party so hard the night before the draft he fell asleep at our auction for an hour and a half
                          ( with a beer in his hand on the couch). We would scream his name every once in a while but no movement. He woke up with a lot of money and no players and was pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            I have no funny auction stories. I did not know anyone from my league when I joined many years ago. I wanted to get into a league with sharks. They take the game seriously and have fun by playing at a high level.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              I have no funny auction stories. I did not know anyone from my league when I joined many years ago. I wanted to get into a league with sharks. They take the game seriously and have fun by playing at a high level.
                              That does sound fun !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                That does sound fun !
                                Sorry, probably should habe added a smiley face
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X