Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potential MLB Rule changes

I love, love , love the 3 batter minimum rule with the finishing an inning or injury proviso. For me there is nothing more tedious in baseball than the parade of relief pitchers in the latter innings. PLEASE bring this in.

The NHL made a very bold move a few years ago to go 3 on 3 for overtime. Just an outstanding move that has added a huge amount of excitement and shorter overtimes to the game.

This would be akin to say removing an IF and an OF for extra innings. Purists would cry rivers over this, as some of the hockey purists did, but why the hell not do it? Next to the tedious relief pitcher changes, the next biggest tedious thing is long extra inning games into the night.

Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by harmon View Post
    The NHL made a very bold move a few years ago to go 3 on 3 for overtime. Just an outstanding move that has added a huge amount of excitement and shorter overtimes to the game.

This would be akin to say removing an IF and an OF for extra innings. Purists would cry rivers over this, as some of the hockey purists did, but why the hell not do it? Next to the tedious relief pitcher changes, the next biggest tedious thing is long extra inning games into the night.

NHL players are bigger and faster yet the surface of ice remains the same. I would endorse and embrace 4 on 4 plus goalies as a way of life in regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by harmon View Post
    I love, love , love the 3 batter minimum rule with the finishing an inning or injury proviso. For me there is nothing more tedious in baseball than the parade of relief pitchers in the latter innings. PLEASE bring this in.
    I think this is horrible. It is just another way to give the offense the advantage. And, as an aging lefty myself (okay, I'll 44 and never could crack 68 on a radar gun in inflated ball park gimmicks) it just hurts. If this rule is approved, they should also approve a rule that you cannot take out a hitter after a pitching change or announce a pinch-hitter and then not have him bat, and so long as the rule in in effect (i.e. the pitcher has to stay in), then no pinch-hitting. MLB is so all over the place on this. They want pace of play improved, but want more offense, which causes the opposite. And they always have their national broadcasts skew to Yanks-Red Sox, which are always the longest games. They want to make games shorter by reducing the games and increasing the commercials. If they really want shorter games, just acknowledge that it is a new game and make it seven innings.

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    I used to be a fan of all the NL managerial strategies such as using multiple middle and late inning pinch hitters and all of the double switches that go along with them. But i've grown weary of watching .080 hitting pitchers get multiple early game at bats and seeing the daily box scores resemble the all-star game box score with so many substitutions. I am now in favor of a National League designated hitter with the possibility of seeing nine good hitters bat the entire game for their team.

I think MLB is finally getting to the root of the problem with the game becoming boring for the casual fan. It's the excessive pitching changes that are most responsible for slowing down the pace of the games. So, implementing the National League DH and having a 3 batter minimum rule are steps in the right direction IMO.

And how about really shaking things up in extra innings and making sure the fans and players never have to endure another 18 inning marathon again. Simply require teams to use 8 fielders in the 10th inning, 7 fielders in the 11th inning, etc. You could cap it at 4 fielders (P, C, + 2 more) if it ever got to that point. And the managers can really earn their money there by deciding where to place less than 9 defenders. That would actually be fun to watch and the fans who stick around to watch the entire game will get rewarded with the chance to see something really unique. Tradition and bullpen ratios be damned.

3 batter minimum will work just like the 10 day DL, it will be abused repeatedly. Face 1 hitter and the phantom injury will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrdog View Post
    3 batter minimum will work just like the 10 day DL, it will be abused repeatedly. Face 1 hitter and the phantom injury will appear.
    Penalty would be an IL stint.

not sure I like the idea, but that issue already is addressed by the proposed rule.
    36th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    awful keeper list but smoke/mirrors has me 4 pts from 3rd in August
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP Scherzer 44-IL, Keuchel LD, CSmith 1, Marquez, Samardzija 1, Leake, AWood
    RP Stanek 8, Strickland 1
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B TFrazier 2, 13 Belt 10, 2B KMarte LD, SS DeJong LD, 2S BCrawford 9
    OF Harper LD, Eaton LD, CDickerson 17, Dyson 8, Cooper, UT Beaty
    IL: SP Cueto 1, SP Mahle, OF Bruce LD
    minors: OF RDavis

Four percent of relief appearances in 2018 faced less than three batters and ended before the inning was complete.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Four percent of relief appearances in 2018 faced less than three batters and ended before the inning was complete.
    Not doubting this is true, but I'm quite surprised at this. I would have guessed this figure to be higher.

I imagine the 7th and 8th innings would show a higher %.