Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential MLB Rule changes

Potential MLB Rule changes

Wow ...

The two most notable changes that’ll jump out to readers are surely the Union’s proposal for a universal designated hitter — possibly beginning as soon as the 2019 season — and the league’s proposal that all pitchers must face a minimum of three hitters per appearance (barring an injury). Other especially notable concepts under discussion include expanding standard rosters to 26 players and shrinking September rosters to 28 players. Both were proposed by the league with an eye toward the 2020 season.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...e-changes.html
    The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs, is to be ruled by evil men. - Plato
    How was I supposed to know that there'd be consequences for my actions? - Gina Linetti

Hall of Famer
    Facing 3 hitters would speed the game up. At first blush I kind of like it. Limits some strategy, but may create so new ones as well.

I do not like universal DH. I like it the way it is. That said the Cards could keep my $4 Jose Martinez and give him all the abs...so there is that.

Not sure why Sept. Rosters need to be shrunk?

I can't imagine NL teams voting for the DH in two months when most already have established their rosters.
    It would have changed the bidding on free agents, and maybe even impacted a trade or two.

plus if it ain't broke, don't fix it. there's a whole major league out there for DH lovers
    just kicked off my 36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    have stumbled out of the gate
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Roark 8, PLopez 1
    RP Jeffress 1, AMiller 14, Dominguez 10, Neshek
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B Descalso, 13 Belt 10, 2B EGonzalez 2, SS BCrawford 9, 2S ABarnes 8
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, KMarte 10, Dyson 8, NWilliams 2, UT Daza
    DL: SP Cueto 1, 3B TFrazier 2, OF Dickerson 17

The 3 hitters thing is really dumb. What if you get 2 outs and the inning is over? I guess it's a little less dumb if it's implemented with the DH, because otherwise are you really going to make that pitcher bat? Make the team do a double-switch?

Even if you do it with the DH, though, making relievers sit down and warm up again seems like a good way to get them injured.

Quote Originally Posted by joncarlos View Post
    The 3 hitters thing is really dumb. What if you get 2 outs and the inning is over? I guess it's a little less dumb if it's implemented with the DH, because otherwise are you really going to make that pitcher bat? Make the team do a double-switch?

Even if you do it with the DH, though, making relievers sit down and warm up again seems like a good way to get them injured.
    They could say 3 hitters or end of an inning that would not effect the speed of the game which I believe the rule is trying to speed up

Quote Originally Posted by hacko View Post
    They could say 3 hitters or end of an inning that would not effect the speed of the game which I believe the rule is trying to speed up
    I didn't like it at first for the reason's JC pointed out, but this version of it would make sense. It would speed things up a bit, but not require relievers to bat or come in for another inning.

The DH in 2019 is totally nuts. As JJ says, no way NL teams would be on board with that. Long term, who knows, but no way in 2019.

From Jeff Passan's article:
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ges-alter-game

The three-batter minimum for pitchers, first reported by The Athletic, is perhaps the most controversial measure, as it would ostensibly eliminate a job created by modern bullpen use: the one-out left-handed reliever. MLB's proposal of the idea illustrates the league's concern with both time and pace of game, as constant bullpen shuffling has contributed to the average game time lasting longer than three hours. The rule would apply to all pitchers, except in instances in which pitchers finish an inning or are injured, sources said.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

And what I'm hearing is that NL DH is unlikely for 2019, although owners are meeting today, so we shall see...
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

My idea for NL DH - if you pinch-hit (and/or pinch-run) for the 9th slot, the original player can remain in the game. And anyone who leaves a game can return 9 innings later. So there is no dh, but you can pinch hit for your pitcher (or worst hitting fielder) and leave them in.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    And what I'm hearing is that NL DH is unlikely for 2019, although owners are meeting today, so we shall see...
    I would love to see a poll of fans of NL teams and what percentage of them want the DH
    just kicked off my 36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    have stumbled out of the gate
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Roark 8, PLopez 1
    RP Jeffress 1, AMiller 14, Dominguez 10, Neshek
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B Descalso, 13 Belt 10, 2B EGonzalez 2, SS BCrawford 9, 2S ABarnes 8
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, KMarte 10, Dyson 8, NWilliams 2, UT Daza
    DL: SP Cueto 1, 3B TFrazier 2, OF Dickerson 17