Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K19 Victor Robles

I am not as high on him as most.

He was picked in the first round of our reserve draft a few years ago. That makes him $15 when activated. He did not get enough ABs last year to lose rookie status. He does not count against our salary cap. That gives him some value.

I assume that with Harper gone he gets the starting role.

I am meh about him. What do you think?

He was super hyped coming into last year. Then he got hurt. Then he came up and was really good (288/348/525 in 66 PAs, with 3 SBs and 3 HRs). I'm surprised he's not getting more hype. In 181 PA as a 21-year old, he had 18 walks and 26 Ks.

There's still a chance Harper comes back or WSH brings in some other veteran filler to take the pressure off. But I am buying.

Steamer has him at 575 PA, 12 HR, 27 steals. THE BAT has him at 17 HRs and 24 SBs. The only downside is he probably hits low in the order.

Yes, it was September, but he attempted 5 steals in 21 games (granted, he got caught twice)... at that pace he'd attempt 35 steals in 147 games, so I think 25 SBs is a reasonable projection.

Give me .275, 11 HR, 80 RBI, 60 R, 26 SB with upside for a lot more if he moves up in the lineup.

Comment

There is a real/fantasy divide about Robles. He's a brilliant defensive player, eg Byron Buxton though Robles does not have Buxton's swing and miss issues. As such, he has considerable real value that does not translate to fantasy. That said, his speed has a fantasy value that does not reflect his real baseball value. So, some each way. The template I use is Lorenzo Cain. Though Robles is better, Cain is a similar player, good defense, good speed, strikes out some but not a lot, walks some but not a lot.

I also look at the two seasons he was in A+ ball. All the projections dial back from his .288 BA in 2019, which might be going in the wrong direction. JC's .275 might be the floor. He's not Acuna but he might be AJ Pollock.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I saw him in person in Akron ,his speed is special. That alone is deserving of some hype. He also was pretty good with the bat that I saw. I saw lindor, Jose Ramirez and Robles minor league games and Robles look the best of the three. Mainly because of his wow speed.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
          I saw him in person in Akron ,his speed is special. That alone is deserving of some hype. He also was pretty good with the bat that I saw. I saw lindor, Jose Ramirez and Robles minor league games and Robles look the best of the three. Mainly because of his wow speed.
          I have high hopes for Robles.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
            I have high hopes for Robles.
            How high Mr. Hobbs, how high?

Comment

Like hitting that clock in Chicago high.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                There is a real/fantasy divide about Robles. He's a brilliant defensive player, eg Byron Buxton though Robles does not have Buxton's swing and miss issues. As such, he has considerable real value that does not translate to fantasy. That said, his speed has a fantasy value that does not reflect his real baseball value. So, some each way. The template I use is Lorenzo Cain. Though Robles is better, Cain is a similar player, good defense, good speed, strikes out some but not a lot, walks some but not a lot.

I also look at the two seasons he was in A+ ball. All the projections dial back from his .288 BA in 2019, which might be going in the wrong direction. JC's .275 might be the floor. He's not Acuna but he might be AJ Pollock.

J
                I agree with most of this, but think that Pollock has more power than Robles will at first. Eventually, it makes sense, and we don't know what his injury history will be, so he could be long-term better.

Comment

I can see that. Of course, Robles is not fully developed physically. So, in a few years...

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

First 28 PAs this spring, .357/.472/.500, a homer, 5 steals and 10 runs scored. Hype train is leaving the station.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      First 28 PAs this spring, .357/.472/.500, a homer, 5 steals and 10 runs scored. Hype train is leaving the station.
                      Looking at the next ROY. At least a heavy contender.

Comment

With Eaton's injury history I would expect him to get a fair amount of ABs at the top of the order, No? Not that I would ever wish an injury on anyone Run Forrest, Run!

Comment

If he hits, he'll get the spot in the order regardless of injuries. If he doesn't, he won't. I think people worry far more about pre-season predictions of roster spots far more than they should. For example, some are worried about Amed Rosario because he will start the year at the end of the lineup and was good when at the top of the lineup at the end of last year. I have him as a keeper and am not worried about that. If he sucks, he'll stay at the bottom of the lineup, but the problem is sucking. If he's good, he'll get the right lineup spot.

Comment

Working...
                          X