Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading for Chapman and Nimmo

Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    I agree that Nimmo has plenty of value, but I cannot comment on the value of the trade; that league is so far different than anything I have played in, I am not qualified.
    Yeah, I often leave out league specifics, because I know it may dissuade feedback. In broad strokes, I'm looking for opinions on whether folks like Chris Taylor, Reynaldo Lopez, or Yadier Molina at all in 2019 in relation to their previous stats. And I'm looking for opinions on the value of Chapman and Nimmo in what would be most closely related to an OBP roto league. And is the jump up in value from the first trio to the second duo really big--big enough to sell the farm.

That's still a tough call; the league specifics make Taylor, Lopez and Molina more valuable, whereas even in deep one-catcher leagues, all three are close to replacement value. In your league, replacement value might be a AAAA guy who might get 100 plate appearances. Chapman and Nimmo have huge extra value over the three others, but the baseline is so important in valuing players.

That's still a tough call; the league specifics make Taylor, Lopez and Molina more valuable, whereas even in deep one-catcher leagues, all three are close to replacement value. In your league, replacement value might be a AAAA guy who might get 100 plate appearances. Chapman and Nimmo have huge extra value over the three others, but the baseline is so important in valuing players.
    So you like both Nimmo and Chapman to be as good or better in 2019 as they were in 2018, it seems. That helps me. It is all helpful to get a sense that my current 14/15 keepers contenders don't excite you much. I need that reality check. Especially on Lopez. Sometimes get carried away on my sleeper obsessions. Last year, it was Snell, so recent bias has me flying high on my hunches. I don't think Lopez is the next Snell. Hell, Snell probably just had his career year. But I do like what I see from him late last year. I think he could be a top 50 SP, if everything breaks right.

I wasn't sure if Nimmo was a huge jump up over Lopez, but he probably is. I was thinking if just giving Bo Bichette for Chapman, so I could keep him and Lopez. But I want thoughts on Nimmo and Lopez. I like them both.

I don't like Lopez. Even if he pitches better, the park is still a bandbox, and the team is not that good. 3-4 years from now, sure, but I don't see it this year. Sure, it's possible, like it is for a ton of young pitchers with stuff, but I am not counting on it.

if you watch any games, give Nimmo a bump.

fans always wish MLB players would act a little more excited to be "living the dream."

Nimmo's smile and joie de vivre is utterly infectious. the pride of Wyoming!
    just kicked off my 36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    have stumbled out of the gate
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Roark 8, PLopez 1
    RP Jeffress 1, AMiller 14, Dominguez 10, Neshek
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B Descalso, 13 Belt 10, 2B EGonzalez 2, SS BCrawford 9, 2S ABarnes 8
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, KMarte 10, Dyson 8, NWilliams 2, UT Daza (minors)
    DL: SP Cueto 1, 3B TFrazier 2, OF Dickerson 17

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    if you watch any games, give Nimmo a bump.

fans always wish MLB players would act a little more excited to be "living the dream."

Nimmo's smile and joie de vivre is utterly infectious. the pride of Wyoming!
    Yeah, I dig that sort of thing. It was what made me stick with Lindor despite scouts claiming he was gonna be a great real player, but a blah fantasy one.

About the trade, I think he was shooting for the moon, and I've countered. I hate giving them up, but I offered a simple 2 for 2. Bo Bichette and Matt Manning for Chapman and Nimmo. If he takes it, great. If not, I don't hate Taylor and Lopez as final keepers. I'm banking on the fact that he has 17 guys he wants to keep and a thin minors, so the trade makes sense for him, because it is really these two prospects, plus a $10 Peraza and a $5 Cron he would have room to keep with this deal.

I ended up trading Bo Bichette and Matt manning for Chapman and Nimmo, but then immediately flipped Nimmo for Yordan Alvarez and Isaac Paredes. So it ended up being Bichette and Manning for matt chapman, yordan alvarez, and isaac paredes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I ended up trading Bo Bichette and Matt manning for Chapman and Nimmo, but then immediately flipped Nimmo for Yordan Alvarez and Isaac Paredes. So it ended up being Bichette and Manning for matt chapman, yordan alvarez, and isaac paredes.
    Your league parameters are so different from my knowledge that I don't know if your second trade was good or not, but I question it. The first trade was great for you. Are you competing this year or not? I am sure it is in this thread, but I don't remember. And I am pretty sure that trading Nimmo for two minor league guys who won't contribute this year won't help you win this year. Nimmo is good in fantasy, even discounting the pride of Wyoming and the smile. Smiles are not always liked. Andruw always smiled. Ask Dodgers' fans about that.

Your league parameters are so different from my knowledge that I don't know if your second trade was good or not, but I question it. The first trade was great for you. Are you competing this year or not? I am sure it is in this thread, but I don't remember. And I am pretty sure that trading Nimmo for two minor league guys who won't contribute this year won't help you win this year. Nimmo is good in fantasy, even discounting the pride of Wyoming and the smile. Smiles are not always liked. Andruw always smiled. Ask Dodgers' fans about that.
    Yes, I am going for the 3 peat this year. I'm have now flipped paredes, and Nate Lowe, along with Reynaldo Lopez and Yadier Molina for a $1 Aaron Hicks. So I figure I am no worse off in the OF, and I netted Yordan Alvarez from swapping Nimmo out for Hicks. In my leagues I know I can get a good upgrade down the line for Yordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Yes, I am going for the 3 peat this year. I'm have now flipped paredes, and Nate Lowe, along with Reynaldo Lopez and Yadier Molina for a $1 Aaron Hicks. So I figure I am no worse off in the OF, and I netted Yordan Alvarez from swapping Nimmo out for Hicks. In my leagues I know I can get a good upgrade down the line for Yordan.
    That certainly looks good for you (the third trade).