Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading for Chapman and Nimmo

Trading for Chapman and Nimmo

This question is about assessing my current keeper options and determining if the upgrade I'm trading for is significant enough to warrant trading my prospects now. I want to win this year, so these prospects will likely get dealt at some point, but they will likely have maximum value later in the season when dumpers are looking for long term value. Prospects are highly coveted in my league, because we have a $400, so extending top young talent carries more value given our budget and inflation rate (we keep 15 major leaguers, so inflation is high).

I'd be getting Matt Chapman $5 (option year) and Brandon Nimmo $5. I'd be giving Bo Bichette, Matt Manning, Nate Pearson, and Brusdar Graterol.

My current 14th and 15th best keepers are Christ Taylor $5 (option year) and Yadier Molina $3 (option year, 1 catcher league) or Reynaldo Lopez $5 (haven't decided if I'm keeping Molina or Lopez). So they would be pushed out if I make the deal.

No, that's way too rich a price to pay...Bichette is certainly a top 20 guy, and the 3 pitchers are all top 100. The prices on the guys you'd be getting are good, but Nimmo is likely to be a replacement level guy. Even Chapman, who is a talent, isn't worth all that much...30 homers pretty much grow on trees these days.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Big Leaguer
    How many minor league players can you keep during the season and offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    How many minor league players can you keep during the season and offseason
    We can have 20 minor leaguers. It is almost a dynasty league, given that basically every good minor leaguer is rostered, and our caps mean the best of them are kept up to 7 years.

I should also mention this is a points league, so the fact that nimmo and Chapman are obp guys with low avg does not hurt them. Also, I believe I can get the guy to let me keep one and maybe even two of the arms. He has too many major league keepers and a weak minors, so is motivated to move a couple of major leaguers. I just didnt want to counter before deciding if this offer is even close.

Eta: this is a 14 team mixed league with a deep bench. We have 30 man rosters, so nimmo is definitely above replacement level, and has a high floor given his obp. But my initial take was in line with hornsby. I'd be giving too much if I didnt counter.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-04-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Too much. Not insane but too much.

He will let me keep graterol or Pearson. Still a no?

HQ has Nimmo as a $17 single-league player with an upside of 25 HR/15 SB. and he's age 26

I don't play in mixed leagues, but if he's replacement level it might be time to expand
    heading into my 36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    AVG collapse last Sept left us finishing 4th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

UPDATED! 2019 keeper candidates (can keep up to 11)
    SP Kershaw 42, AWood 5, CSmith 1
    RP Jeffress 1, Dominguez 10, Knebel 2
    C Realmuto 13, 3B Longoria 15, 2B Kendrick 8, 2S Hanson 10
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, CarGo 14, FCordero 10

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    HQ has Nimmo as a $17 single-league player with an upside of 25 HR/15 SB. and he's age 26

I don't play in mixed leagues, but if he's replacement level it might be time to expand
    We roster 420 major leaguers, not including DLed players, and 280 minor leaguers in my 14 teamer. So he isnt replacement level for my league, but in leagues without benches, i could see him being that, depending on projections. I like him a lot in a points league tho.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-04-2019 at 11:20 PM.

I agree that Nimmo has plenty of value, but I cannot comment on the value of the trade; that league is so far different than anything I have played in, I am not qualified.

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post

I don't play in mixed leagues but here's what you should do in mixed leagues is a strange position to take. But I'll tackle it regardless.

Like you, I personally think Nimmo is above replacement but a 26 year old who has only been above replacement once in his career is probably not the poster child for needing to expand. You mentioned his 25/15 upside but you failed to mention that there's a reasonable likelyhood that he's hitting closer to .240 with 15 HR and 9 SB instead (his steamer projection). That puts him around $5 or $6 in a 15 team mixed, which is a reasonably sized mixed league.

Now we've talked about his ceiling and one of his projections, somewhere between that projection and his floor is replacement level. Doesn't seem unreasonable for someone else to have him near replacement.