Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worth Keeping Ohtani?

His pitching rehab is with Ohtani first will throwing "warm up" style flat-ground pitch and catch until he is cleared to build more on his arm by throwing off the mound. Then this will lead to throwing simulated games. While no time schedule has been set, the Angels aren't rushing him. Reports are Ohtani won't break camp with the team, as per Brad Ausmus (mid Dec 18), and as per the Angels GM (1 Feb.19). According to ESPN, "Dr. Neal ElAttrache was "really pleased" with Ohtani's strength and range of motion in a follow-up visit last week, Eppler reported." Most likely after an extended ST, Ohtani will probably join the team early May, as long as he progresses. His pitching rehab probably won't start until late May/early June, and even then his routine will be very similar to last year... Ohtani will pitch a simulated game, followed by a day of complete rest, so at best, he'll be available to DH five time a week. I own Ohtani in PONY at $30, with an option to extend him next year. Knowing his limitations this year, am I keeping him? Hell yeah I'm keeping him! I'm betting he'll live up to every penny of that $30 this year, and if/when he's pitching next year, that's all cream baby! Even Shandler thinks Ohtani will have 443 ABs with 26 bombs and a .282 BA. I wouldn't give up the ship quite yet.

Big Leaguer
    I certainly can't imagine what the league format you might be in is like, but if you were hypothetically considering cutting a $6 Margot or a sub-$5 low-end closer to keep Ohtani at 25, you could probably make some trades at least. If you're pretty convinced you're not going to be competitive this year and you want to hold onto him in hopes of his coming back as good as he was from TJS and being ready next year and nothing going wrong with his pitching recovery while he's playing baseball, you could, but it's probably going to be tough to convince people he's worth something in trade going into his option year at 25. I know there's some endowment effect from having gotten him last year but if you really think it's a good idea, I'd keep someone cheap in his place and just try to buy him back.

Also, again I don't know the details of your league, but if it's one that has two UT slots so it's not quite as bad to have a DH-only player, you should mention that.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by mjl View Post
    I certainly can't imagine what the league format you might be in is like, but if you were hypothetically considering cutting a $6 Margot or a sub-$5 low-end closer to keep Ohtani at 25, you could probably make some trades at least. If you're pretty convinced you're not going to be competitive this year and you want to hold onto him in hopes of his coming back as good as he was from TJS and being ready next year and nothing going wrong with his pitching recovery while he's playing baseball, you could, but it's probably going to be tough to convince people he's worth something in trade going into his option year at 25. I know there's some endowment effect from having gotten him last year but if you really think it's a good idea, I'd keep someone cheap in his place and just try to buy him back.

Also, again I don't know the details of your league, but if it's one that has two UT slots so it's not quite as bad to have a DH-only player, you should mention that.
    Well, make me an offer then, since you're actually in the same league, LOL. I know that you're messing around a bit, but other than a slew of cheap pitchers, I don't have a lot of talent at the major league level right now. And I do believe that we'll have a repeat winner in the RJEL this season, so I'm shooting for 2020, not this upcoming season. And yes, 2 UT positions...no intention of trading him, since I doubt that there's a ton of interest there. I just believe that he's a freak enough of an athlete to make that 2020 season really special on both sides of the ball. Hence, I'm torn...more heart than head here for sure.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I would not keep him at that. As mjl says, if you love him long term, just get him back in the auction. I can't imagine we will go for much more than this price.

Go with your heart........
    and bleed

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
    Go with your heart........
    and bleed
    Now that's advise I can live with...or die with.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I would not keep him at that. As mjl says, if you love him long term, just get him back in the auction. I can't imagine we will go for much more than this price.
    My thoughts exactly abut buying him back.
    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Triple-A
    eligibility question

in my league, a player has to amass at least 20 games in the previous season to be eligible at a position entering the auction.

ohtani had 80 at dh, 10 at pitcher.

I understand he isn't slated to pitch in 2019 but for those leagues which allowed dual eligibility in 2018, are you still offering this entering the auction in 2019 (it could matter for a team trying a particular strategy such as **extra** hitting)?

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    eligibility question

in my league, a player has to amass at least 20 games in the previous season to be eligible at a position entering the auction.

ohtani had 80 at dh, 10 at pitcher.

I understand he isn't slated to pitch in 2019 but for those leagues which allowed dual eligibility in 2018, are you still offering this entering the auction in 2019 (it could matter for a team trying a particular strategy such as **extra** hitting)?
    Goodness I donít think you really want to apply that rule that way. It should only apply for the purposes of offensive position.

Otherwise Joe Musgrove and Marcus Stroman arenít eligible anywhere...

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    If you don't have better keeper options and you really like the player, then i say keep Ohtani.