X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
    Go with your heart........
    and bleed
    Now that's advise I can live with...or die with.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I would not keep him at that. As mjl says, if you love him long term, just get him back in the auction. I can't imagine we will go for much more than this price.
      My thoughts exactly abut buying him back.
      Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

eligibility question

in my league, a player has to amass at least 20 games in the previous season to be eligible at a position entering the auction.

ohtani had 80 at dh, 10 at pitcher.

I understand he isn't slated to pitch in 2019 but for those leagues which allowed dual eligibility in 2018, are you still offering this entering the auction in 2019 (it could matter for a team trying a particular strategy such as **extra** hitting)?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          eligibility question

in my league, a player has to amass at least 20 games in the previous season to be eligible at a position entering the auction.

I understand he isn't slated to pitch in 2019 but for those leagues which allowed dual eligibility in 2018, are you still offering this entering the auction in 2019 (it could matter for a team trying a particular strategy such as **extra** hitting)?
          Goodness I don’t think you really want to apply that rule that way. It should only apply for the purposes of offensive position.

Otherwise Joe Musgrove and Marcus Stroman aren’t eligible anywhere...

Comment

If you don't have better keeper options and you really like the player, then i say keep Ohtani.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              eligibility question

My understanding would be yes, he would be pitcher eligible in that situation. You can't legislate on what you expect to happen, only what did. If the rule is 10 games last season, he's absolutely eligible at P, and it's absolutely the smart move to put him there during your auction.

In most leagues that won't be a concern since he didn't get to 15 or 20.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                My understanding would be yes, he would be pitcher eligible in that situation. You can't legislate on what you expect to happen, only what did. If the rule is 10 games last season, he's absolutely eligible at P, and it's absolutely the smart move to put him there during your auction.

In most leagues that won't be a concern since he didn't get to 15 or 20.
                Positional limits don't apply to pitchers though?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Positional limits don't apply to pitchers though?
                  Interesting question, isn't it? How do you decide if someone is allowed to be a pitcher? I suspect none of this is covered in my league's constitution. My default would be to use position eligiblity rules.

Comment

I agree with the statement that the 20 game rule had never been applied (or for that matter intended to apply) to pitchers.You have to make a new rule for a situation which was not contemplated previously. I feel he qualifies as a pitcher but I think it needs to be decided not made to fit into the 20 game rule.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                      I agree with the statement that the 20 game rule had never been applied (or for that matter intended to apply) to pitchers.You have to make a new rule for a situation which was not contemplated previously. I feel he qualifies as a pitcher but I think it needs to be decided not made to fit into the 20 game rule.
                      I have Ohtani and will protect him going into this years draft as he is only $5. I will not be able to protect him at DH as I already have Khris Davis as DH. So I will have to protect Ohtani as a pitcher. If anyone in my league objects (and I think they might), I will provide the argument that if I am not able to protect him as a pitcher, then any pitcher that has less than 20 games pitched from last season is not able to be protected or drafted at the pitcher position.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                        I have Ohtani and will protect him going into this years draft as he is only $5. I will not be able to protect him at DH as I already have Khris Davis as DH. So I will have to protect Ohtani as a pitcher. If anyone in my league objects (and I think they might), I will provide the argument that if I am not able to protect him as a pitcher, then any pitcher that has less than 20 games pitched from last season is not able to be protected or drafted at the pitcher position.
                        Ohtani has 80 games at dh , 10 at pitcher. This is why I asked for opinions on eligibility

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                          Our rule is "20 games, or the position at which you played the most games"

So any "pitcher only" pitcher is covered by the second part, even if he's only pitched 1 game.

Comment

Applying a rule intended for hitters to pitchers doesn't make any sense. He started 10 games - approx 1/3 of a major league season as a starting pitcher. He's a pitcher. If you are applying hitter position eligibility rules to Ohtani and it shows that he's not a pitcher, then it's because your rule was never intended to apply to pitchers in the first place.

Comment

So hard to say. I am safe (although I won't keep because of injury and cost) because our league has RP and SP slots, meaning that 5 starts makes you SP, so he has to be both. But leagues that don't, it is a total mess. Then again, what was he eligible as last year? That should answer for this year.

Comment

In 2017 in Japan, he had five starts at pitcher (due to injury, again) and 60 (at least) games at DH. Whatever he was last year, he should be this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X