Worth Keeping Ohtani?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth Keeping Ohtani?

I own him at 25 bucks in a 5x5 OBP league. He's obviously not going to pitch this season, but will in 2020, when I'll still own him for the last year of his contract.

Is he worth keeping at 25 for the potential 25 homers and double digit steals he'll likely have? .361 OBP a plus as well...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

No. I have him at $20 and will likely toss him back. Unless you have him much cheaper AND allow some sort of swingman role (or counting both stats), he’s not a fit at that price imo. And reports have him delayed in his start to the year.

Comment

Definitely not.

He is just now beginning to work out the arm again and will be affected by the TJ surgery well into the season, if not the whole year. He is worth something, but don't expect more of last year's numbers. Not for a while.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

but how about just as a hitter?

Comment

If it is a weekly league, he is probably going to be more valuable in 2019 than 2020 or 2021 since his two-way playing makes him almost useless as either. That being said, I am highly unlikely to keep him at $18 myself since he is UT only (well and SP, but he won't pitch next year).

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            If it is a weekly league, he is probably going to be more valuable in 2019 than 2020 or 2021 since his two-way playing makes him almost useless as either. That being said, I am highly unlikely to keep him at $18 myself since he is UT only (well and SP, but he won't pitch next year).
            Yeah, it's an 18 teamer with twice weekly moves. My curiosity comes from having him batting almost exclusively this season...what might he be capable of if he's allowed to concentrate on one discipline instead of having to do both? I don't buy into him being out an extended period of time as a hitter, TJ surgery for a non-pitcher has a pretty good recovery time, and Ohtani wouldn't have to play any defensive position either.

Still torn...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Yeah, it's an 18 teamer with twice weekly moves. My curiosity comes from having him batting almost exclusively this season...what might he be capable of if he's allowed to concentrate on one discipline instead of having to do both? I don't buy into him being out an extended period of time as a hitter, TJ surgery for a non-pitcher has a pretty good recovery time, and Ohtani wouldn't have to play any defensive position either.

Still torn...
              I thought they already did the surgery ?
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  They did. Horns is the one torn.

He isn't able to swing a bat yet and the team is already saying he will not be ready for the season opener. How much downtime before it's too much downtime? Also, will the pitching rehab interfere with hitting or vice versa.

In any event, his ADP at NFBC has fallen from about 110 at the beginning of the year to about 135 over the last two weeks.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    They did. Horns is the one torn.

J
                    Caught that the first time, but thanks
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

His pitching rehab is with Ohtani first will throwing "warm up" style flat-ground pitch and catch until he is cleared to build more on his arm by throwing off the mound. Then this will lead to throwing simulated games. While no time schedule has been set, the Angels aren't rushing him. Reports are Ohtani won't break camp with the team, as per Brad Ausmus (mid Dec 18), and as per the Angels GM (1 Feb.19). According to ESPN, "Dr. Neal ElAttrache was "really pleased" with Ohtani's strength and range of motion in a follow-up visit last week, Eppler reported." Most likely after an extended ST, Ohtani will probably join the team early May, as long as he progresses. His pitching rehab probably won't start until late May/early June, and even then his routine will be very similar to last year... Ohtani will pitch a simulated game, followed by a day of complete rest, so at best, he'll be available to DH five time a week. I own Ohtani in PONY at $30, with an option to extend him next year. Knowing his limitations this year, am I keeping him? Hell yeah I'm keeping him! I'm betting he'll live up to every penny of that $30 this year, and if/when he's pitching next year, that's all cream baby! Even Shandler thinks Ohtani will have 443 ABs with 26 bombs and a .282 BA. I wouldn't give up the ship quite yet.

Comment

I certainly can't imagine what the league format you might be in is like, but if you were hypothetically considering cutting a $6 Margot or a sub-$5 low-end closer to keep Ohtani at 25, you could probably make some trades at least. If you're pretty convinced you're not going to be competitive this year and you want to hold onto him in hopes of his coming back as good as he was from TJS and being ready next year and nothing going wrong with his pitching recovery while he's playing baseball, you could, but it's probably going to be tough to convince people he's worth something in trade going into his option year at 25. I know there's some endowment effect from having gotten him last year but if you really think it's a good idea, I'd keep someone cheap in his place and just try to buy him back.

Also, again I don't know the details of your league, but if it's one that has two UT slots so it's not quite as bad to have a DH-only player, you should mention that.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          I certainly can't imagine what the league format you might be in is like, but if you were hypothetically considering cutting a $6 Margot or a sub-$5 low-end closer to keep Ohtani at 25, you could probably make some trades at least. If you're pretty convinced you're not going to be competitive this year and you want to hold onto him in hopes of his coming back as good as he was from TJS and being ready next year and nothing going wrong with his pitching recovery while he's playing baseball, you could, but it's probably going to be tough to convince people he's worth something in trade going into his option year at 25. I know there's some endowment effect from having gotten him last year but if you really think it's a good idea, I'd keep someone cheap in his place and just try to buy him back.

Also, again I don't know the details of your league, but if it's one that has two UT slots so it's not quite as bad to have a DH-only player, you should mention that.
                          Well, make me an offer then, since you're actually in the same league, LOL. I know that you're messing around a bit, but other than a slew of cheap pitchers, I don't have a lot of talent at the major league level right now. And I do believe that we'll have a repeat winner in the RJEL this season, so I'm shooting for 2020, not this upcoming season. And yes, 2 UT positions...no intention of trading him, since I doubt that there's a ton of interest there. I just believe that he's a freak enough of an athlete to make that 2020 season really special on both sides of the ball. Hence, I'm torn...more heart than head here for sure.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I would not keep him at that. As mjl says, if you love him long term, just get him back in the auction. I can't imagine we will go for much more than this price.

Comment

Go with your heart........
                              and bleed

Comment

Working...
                              X